Taycan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am sitting with my 2021 white Taycan RWD plugged into the EA 350kW slot. All is going well as I have the Plug and Charge function working perfectly, when a 2020 white Taycan 4S pulls into another 350kW slot. She plugs in, no luck. She tries the adjacent connector, no luck. She is fumbling around on her phone with the different apps. Basically, she decides to move over to my charger (I am basically done). We have a brief conversation and she laments as a former Tesla owner. She says she is going to get rid of her Taycan at the first opportunity and go back to Tesla. I admit, if I heard a story like this, I would just think it was a troll trying to be irritating. I kinda said something like "I guess the software update for the 2020 models is not quite workable". I do not think that made her feel any better. I feel fortunate that my Taycan is good to roll up to an EA station and get right into the charge cycle.

Taycan Porsche

P.S. She did make a good point that our local EA location set up the chargers wrong as they are directly in front of the hood. There is barely enough cord to get to the side of the car. I guess they were supposed to be made so the charging port is close to the EA charger. Another mistake by our local EA people.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
85 Posts
So, I am sitting with my 2021 white Taycan RWD plugged into the EA 350kW slot. All is going well as I have the Plug and Charge function working perfectly, when a 2020 white Taycan 4S pulls into another 350kW slot. She plugs in, no luck. She tries the adjacent connector, no luck. She is fumbling around on her phone with the different apps. Basically, she decides to move over to my charger (I am basically done). We have a brief conversation and she laments as a former Tesla owner. She says she is going to get rid of her Taycan at the first opportunity and go back to Tesla. I admit, if I heard a story like this, I would just think it was a troll trying to be irritating. I kinda said something like "I guess the software update for the 2020 models is not quite workable". I do not think that made her feel any better. I feel fortunate that my Taycan is good to roll up to an EA station and get right into the charge cycle.

Taycan Porsche

P.S. She did make a good point that our local EA location set up the chargers wrong as they are directly in front of the hood. There is barely enough cord to get to the side of the car. I guess they were supposed to be made so the charging port is close to the EA charger. Another mistake by our local EA people.
the EA charging has been wonky for me, I have a 50-50 chance of getting a charge going without having to call in to EA to get them to kick start the charge.
I am beginning to think that some cars are not communicating with the chargers properly, another software issue. the person you met either didn't use the apps properly or is like me and has a car that is not passing data back and forth properly. plug and charge has never worked for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don’t disagree with her I’m about to do the same thing the 2021 model S base are faster than The effing Taycan Turbo and going up to the plaid edition knocks Taycan off the road. The new interior styling also out does the Taycan. I’ve had nothing but problems with mine and now having the cracked roof replaced. Only had this car 4 months and what a nightmare!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I mean, who knows what's going on when Porsche tests their cars presumably and mostly in Germany. If the car cannot "communicate" with the charger effectively 100% of the time, then there is something wrong (bug) or incomplete with the communications protocol. Unfortunately that's what happens when we live at the "bleeding edge" of technology.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agreed I love my Taycan as a second fun car, and my model S for long trips. Unfortunately it will take years to have a support network like Tesla supercharge, this make 50% of the car experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As the person you spoke to at the EA pedestal I have to say you are very lucky your plug and play works well. I went back to the same EA station the following week to find both 350kw pedestals were out of order. Took pulling up to 3 different pedestals and 30 minutes on the phone with EA to get a charge. Oddly enough my Taycan 4S charged way faster on the 150kw pedestal than the 350. Not sure why.

I mostly charge at home but periodically I go to EA to keep my “skills” up. Never had that problem with Tesla.

I think your post means you do not think I am a troll? Good to know😉

·
Registered
2021 Base Taycan Black with Black and Limestone Beige Interior
15 Posts
I must be an outlier. I’ve had 100% success with EA in Delaware, VA, and NC using the Porsche NA/Porsche Charging Services App. I have an 800+ mile drive to Chicago planned next month. I’ll write if I experience any issues.

·
Registered
2021 Taycan 4S
173 Posts
My EA Station has work flawlessly so far. My only issue is they don't have the 350 kw capacity yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am happy to report that charging has been a breeze this week! I am now using the Charging NA app and not the Porsche Connect app. Worked first try! Only one of the 350KW charges is showing on my app. Not sure why but all is well!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I must be an outlier. I’ve had 100% success with EA in Delaware, VA, and NC using the Porsche NA/Porsche Charging Services App. I have an 800+ mile drive to Chicago planned next month. I’ll write if I experience any issues.
It does take getting used to for sure. I’ve had to call in at first for help - they’re pretty good - but now it seems to work. Going in next week for the upgrade on my 2020 and hoping the plug and play will work first time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It does take getting used to for sure. I’ve had to call in at first for help - they’re pretty good - but now it seems to work. Going in next week for the upgrade on my 2020 and hoping the plug and play will work first time.
Plug and play is not available for the 2020 even with upgrade unfortunately.

·
Registered
2021 Taycan 4S
173 Posts
It's my understanding as well that only the 2021 model years have that option.

·
Registered
2021 Taycan 4S
173 Posts
The only issue I have had so far is I pulled into a unit that was out of service so I simply moved to another plug in and started charging.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
85 Posts
The only issue I have had so far is I pulled into a unit that was out of service so I simply moved to another plug in and started charging.
yes, you are fortunate to not have had problems, unfortunately there are some of us who are encountering issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts