Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t think there has been a month when I haven’t experienced a bothersome technical issue since I received my 2021 Taycan 4S in May 2021. Yet again, my Taycan has lost connection with the Porsche Server, so the Porsche Connect app is useless.

I contacted Porsche Customer Service (made contact in the 4th call) and they had me send a screen shout if the app connection page. No fix yet and no mention of how long it may take. So…

This might have something to do with the 2 minutes it takes to load the media/radio upon starting the car. Very annoying.

Before I get a Porsche in the future I would do my best to see if they have corrected this longstanding technical incompetence. They just can’t handle technology.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don’t think there has been a month when I haven’t experienced a bothersome technical issue since I received my 2021 Taycan 4S in May 2021. Yet again, my Taycan has lost connection with the Porsche Server, so the Porsche Connect app is useless.

I contacted Porsche Customer Service (made contact in the 4th call) and they had me send a screen shout if the app connection page. No fix yet and no mention of how long it may take. So…

This might have something to do with the 2 minutes it takes to load the media/radio upon starting the car. Very annoying.

Before I get a Porsche in the future I would do my best to see if they have corrected this longstanding technical incompetence. They just can’t handle technology.
I have the same problem. I have tried everything I can to solve this issue myself. I have had other software problems that have taken as long as two weeks to repair as I have noted before. Here are some things that I fixed my self or they resolved themselves. Right mirror started going up rather than down, spontaneous route guidance to some place in Germany, speed limiter coming on several times by itself requiring me to stop and fix in traffic, radio favorites simply disappeared, but reappeared days later. Sadly, this beautiful car seems to be plagued with software issues. So the next time I take it in for a major problem, I’ll add this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Audi etron SUV goes to sleep after some hours of non-use rendering the phone unable to connect to the car. Touching the door lock or opening a door will restore the connection on this car. Some other problems are rear trunk lid opening unexpectedly, XM Channel changed when starting the car, Home address in Navigation deleted, backing out of garage brakes slam on once in a while. As long as I don't get stranded I'll work around these SW Bugs. Adding a Taycan RWD to the garage within a few weeks so thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Porsche Connect on my 2020 has been off-line for three weeks. I got a case number from customer service and promised a call in “2-3 business days”. A week later, I followed up and was told that my case was referred to a technician and I should be hearing from them soon. Nothing. Today, I followed up again and was told that I should contact my dealer. Apple Car Play and Bluetooth is also down. Separately, my service manager told me that there is a server problem that should have been cleared last Friday. Still, no luck.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Mine is kind of hit and miss. Have a service scheduled on 12/3. Will ask them to check it then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So far (After 7 months of ownership) I've had no issues with the Porsche Connect Service so I'm counting myself fortunate reading this thread. Having said that, I find the app almost useless other then checking charge level. It boggles my mind that I cannot remotely lock/unlock my car from the app. When ever I send a destination from the app to the cars navigation it almost never receives it (Or it arrives half way through my journey) - I have a Ford ranger truck that cost 1/3rd of my Porsche and the app is fantastic... Remote lock/unlock/start/send destinations etc and a really nice user interface. I seriously question Porsches attention to detail in software, it does not seem to be their strong point.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think there are 2 overlapping problems:

Connect app to car:
this in my case depends on the car's ability to connect to a cell network. Few cases where the connection is slow or lost after car is parked for days.
I suspect battery saving, not sure.

Car connect to Porsche (actually Audi) servers:
this is the bigger problem in my case. There's also a design flaw, i.e., car doesn't store important data in-car but on the remote server.
If connection is lost (server down etc.), car won't know home/ work address etc.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Sounds like Porsche needs do some work on this App.

·
Registered
29 Posts

That was my experience for a year. They do not have a clue and don’t care. Bought a Tesla and no regrets!! Never back to Porsche. I owned 3 911’s and two Cayman’s over 30 years and loved the brand but this attempt at an EV failed miserably.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Porsche Taycan. I've had some minor issues with my 4S but nothing that would convince me to buy a Tesla. I have over 4,600 miles on my 4S and with the exception of a few false error messages it has run flawlessly.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Sorry for your experience. I have the same experiences since May when I picked it up. It is one thing that at my dealership NO ONE knows anything about PC..but the people, in my experience, that handle the phone inquiries, while great at apologizing for my inconvenience, know very little about the fix. They create a case # and pass it on..this is understandable but in my case in May, it took 4 months to get a response..that is NOT acceptable to me. "It is Covid..it is a lack of employees"..I have heard it all and while I recognize there is some truth to this, I feel that Porsche rolled this new system out too soon and we are the Beta tests. just my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So far (After 7 months of ownership) I've had no issues with the Porsche Connect Service so I'm counting myself fortunate reading this thread. Having said that, I find the app almost useless other then checking charge level. It boggles my mind that I cannot remotely lock/unlock my car from the app. When ever I send a destination from the app to the cars navigation it almost never receives it (Or it arrives half way through my journey) - I have a Ford ranger truck that cost 1/3rd of my Porsche and the app is fantastic... Remote lock/unlock/start/send destinations etc and a really nice user interface. I seriously question Porsches attention to detail in software, it does not seem to be their strong point.
Agree with you.. and btw, not only to me ( and you) is PC worthless, it is inaccurate..the "my car" view shows a map of Germany !!! Thats great, but I live in NJ!!!

·
Registered
2020 Taycan 4S
4 Posts
I have the same problem. I have tried everything I can to solve this issue myself. I have had other software problems that have taken as long as two weeks to repair as I have noted before. Here are some things that I fixed my self or they resolved themselves. Right mirror started going up rather than down, spontaneous route guidance to some place in Germany, speed limiter coming on several times by itself requiring me to stop and fix in traffic, radio favorites simply disappeared, but reappeared days later. Sadly, this beautiful car seems to be plagued with software issues. So the next time I take it in for a major problem, I’ll add this.
My software has basically sucked since my Taycan bricked last June. The driver assist update has made it hazardous to drive curvy roads in the rain. The car freaks out when lanes divide or merge. I constantly have to be aware it will try to drive itself, but inappropriately.

Yesterday the control screen was black all day so I drove my Jeep. Today the screen worked, but error messages flashed all the way home. Who knows what it will do tomorrow?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My software has basically sucked since my Taycan bricked last June. The driver assist update has made it hazardous to drive curvy roads in the rain. The car freaks out when lanes divide or merge. I constantly have to be aware it will try to drive itself, but inappropriately.

Yesterday the control screen was black all day so I drove my Jeep. Today the screen worked, but error messages flashed all the way home. Who knows what it will do tomorrow?
As reference in my last reply, it took two weeks for both my control screens to finally be repaired. They were black upon delivery and the dealer had it for two weeks trying various software fixes. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
As reference in my last reply, it took two weeks for both my control screens to finally be repaired. They were black upon delivery and the dealer had it for two weeks trying various software fixes. Good luck.
Do you know what the actually did to fix it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not actually. Their technician keep trying different software fixes and keeping it overnight to see if the screens continued working the next day. Finally, after many failed attempts they fixed it. I’m not sure even they understand what the problem was, let alone how they remedied the issue. I’m not convinced that the dealers have properly trained technicians for software problems. It appears it’s a learning curve for many.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Not actually. Their technician keep trying different software fixes and keeping it overnight to see if the screens continued working the next day. Finally, after many failed attempts they fixed it. I’m not sure even they understand what the problem was, let alone how they remedied the issue. I’m not convinced that the dealers have properly trained technicians for software problems. It appears it’s a learning curve for many.
I totally agree with your assessment of technicians not being properly trained. That should have been a priority from day 1 with the introduction of the first Porsche EV. Sad to see that it apparently was not.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There is no question … we are the beta testers. Other than the annoyance that there are many settings that just disappear randomly, and once the language switched to German but kept the location correct, my first glitch of consequence happened this morning when the car informed me that the backup and rear traffic cross check functions had failed, that I could continue driving, but that I should go in for service. On the next start everything was fine, and this time it remembered that I want all of my maps North up.

I am very happy that mine has not turned into brick yet.

The software is not up to what I expected from Porsche. Oh well. And I wonder when I will get battery preconditioning to work, although I am only at 2 tries so far.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
I've had my 4S since June of this year and with the exception of a few false message it has performed very well. I do agree that the software is not up to Porsche standards. As far a preconditioning is concerned it takes more than a few miles on the way to the charging station to get an meaningful increase in battery temperature.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts