Taycan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here after a recommendation from another Taycan forum and I'm excited to say I just bought a 4S. I would've loved the Turbo but this 4S was available now and optioned nearly identical to the way I would've done it if ordering plus I get to save a little cash. Unfortunately, I can't pick it up until tomorrow as it needs to be prepared for delivery but I'll post pics then. Any tips or advice would be great. It's not my first EV, I'm coming from a (drastically different but still great) BMW i3. I'll be driving it about 12 hours next week from NYC to NC to take it to visit family for a few weeks so I'll post some observations then.

My car is:
Exterior:​
Carrara White Metallic​
Interior:​
Standard Interior in Black​
BASE​
Taycan 4S​
1LZ​
Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB) with Calipers in White​
1NV​
Wheels Painted in High Gloss Black​
2PJ​
Steering Wheel Heating i.c.w. Sport Chrono Package and Leather Interior​
2W9​
Power Charge Port Cover​
2Y​
Carrara White Metallic​
AA​
Standard Interior in Black​
F44​
21" Mission E Design Wheels​
J9K​
Performance Battery Plus (93.4 kWh)​
JH1​
Passenger Display​
NW2​
Mobile Charger Connect​
P4A​
Premium Package​
P4D​
Performance Package​
P4S​
Porsche InnoDrive incl. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)​
Q77​
All-Season Tires for 21" Wheels​
QJ4​
Window Trim in High Gloss Black​
QW5​
Porsche Intelligent Range Manager​
UD1​
Under Door Puddle Light Projectors​

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum @f02kbf !

It'll be a huge step from an i3 that's for sure.

Post pics when you take delivery! Sounds like a very nice spec!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Very cool .. congrats .. i hope you enjoy the car .. interesting to see your ownership take on the Taycan after a few months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it says a lot that I actually purchased this car without seeing or driving it. I haven't actually driven a Taycan at all. I've only seen one in person quite a while ago. The reviews are so overwhelmingly positive that I felt comfortable committing. I knew that I couldn't go back to an ICE and that really only left the Audi E-tron and the Taycan on my list. The Audi is in a weird place where there wasn't a 2020 model year in the US and the driving experience is a bit subdued for an electric car. That left the Taycan. I haven't been more excited to take delivery of a car than I am for this one. Really can't wait. I'll post plenty of pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did the same thing - bought mine sight unseen. I have had several Porsches over the years, including two Cayenne E-Hybrids, and love the engineering. When the local dealer told me that a 4S was due in 2 weeks and I could have "first dibs" I jumped on it. Haven't regretted it for a second! ( I did test drive a Turbo first, though).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the same thing - bought mine sight unseen. I have had several Porsches over the years, including two Cayenne E-Hybrids, and love the engineering. When the local dealer told me that a 4S was due in 2 weeks and I could have "first dibs" I jumped on it. Haven't regretted it for a second! ( I did test drive a Turbo first, though).
What were your impressions of the Turbo vs the 4S? I must admit I'm regretting not getting the Turbo slightly. There was a turbo in my color choices 6 hours away but it was missing a few options I wanted and was 20k more. The only thing is the 4S is a standard interior and I really wanted the full leather which the turbo came standard with. At these prices it seems a bit weird to fret over 20k but every review says the 4S is really the best balance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I was ordering it and picking the options, I would probably add the $4000 leather interior to the 4S. I couldn't tell much difference between the Turbo and the 4S in the city driving that I did - they are both amazingly quick. The 1 second 0-to-60 time difference isn't that big of a deal to me. I'm really happy with the options that it came with, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a few notes from picking up the car yesterday. . .

My first impression was that the exterior of the car is absolutely stunning. Genuinely one of the best looking vehicles on the road, it really turns heads everywhere. I'm very happy with my configuration, especially the Mission E wheels. I was unsure about the high gloss black option vs body color or unpainted but they're stunning in black in person. My one complaint of the exterior is the black plastic pieces. I'd appreciate any advice for cleaning products/gloss to make them look better. The interior on the other hand initially disappointed me. I guess cross shopping it against more traditional luxury cars, I had different expectations for the interior of a ~150k vehicle. This however changed after spending time with the car and I'll talk more about it below with my impressions after my 5 hour trip home. My Porsche Connect services weren't activated by the dealer prior to the car being delivered and even though we set up the account before I left the dealership, they've yet to activate. This was annoying as the Charging Planner requires the service be active so the car could not help me find chargers or plan my route. I could at least use the free charging as I did add it to my account using the instructions posted in a thread here. I used ABRP to get home but it was still annoying not to have the services active. My last BMW setup the services immediately and the car was active before I was done signing the paperwork. The final thing that I noticed in my initial impression of the car was that the Bose sound system was not very good, I was actually incredibly disappointed in the quality. With that said, below are my impressions after driving the car for a few hours.

After leaving the dealer and getting on the highway for the first time, I of course immediately loved the driving characteristics of the car. I was stressed from driving all morning to get to the dealer and dealing with the paperwork but a few presses of the accelerator and that was over. The car will put a smile on your face constantly. I find myself constantly grinning while driving this car. What a strange sensation that a car can have such an impact on your mood. It's really that much fun that a short drive can turn your day around. The car is so comfortable on the highway in normal mode. Even with the gigantic 21in wheels and tiny tire sidewalls, it almost rides like a large comfortable SUV over bumps. Throw it into sport plus and it hunkers down with just the right amount of stiffness. On the highway I did notice there is a surprising amount of cabin noise. I wish I would've been able to get a car with the double paned glass. The noise might be due to my tire/wheel configuration as I don't notice any wind noise so much as a lot of road noise from the tires. My previous car, a BMW i3 was actually quieter at anything but 70mph+ speeds. I think anyone coming from a non-EV will likely be impressed with the quietness compared to an ICE. I used Innodrive with adaptive cruise for a short while, it responded and tracked well however it's very aggressive with asking you to keep your hands on the wheel. I had my hand on the wheel the entire time but would have to artificially apply torque or move the wheel in a way I wouldn't normally if driving myself to let it know I was there, almost defeating the purpose. Systems with a capacitive steering wheel sensor or eye focus sensor like the Audi or BMW are much better in this regard. After a few hours I noticed the Bose system really opened up. My impressions went from being disappointed to impressed. If you don't like your Bose system, listen to it at decent volume levels for a few hours to break it in and it'll make a lot of difference. Finally, the interior has really grown on me. The one option missing from this stock car that almost meant me not buying it was full leather. While I do think the full leather interior is more luxurious, the partial leather interior is very good. Once you get past the fingerprints on all of the screens, the interior is incredibly modern and comfortable. A friend compared us sitting in the car with all of the touch screens in front of us to the recent space x launch, the car does feel like a spaceship, especially at night with all of the screens and ambient lighting.

Sorry that this was long winded. In all this is clearly one of the best cars on the market. I'm thrilled to own one. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Fantastic info @f02kbf . I always enjoy reading first impression posts like this.

Your comment about the steering requiring torque is definitely something that bugs me about almost all modern cars and their "lane keeping" systems.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Fantastic info @f02kbf . I always enjoy reading first impression posts like this.

Your comment about the steering requiring torque is definitely something that bugs me about almost all modern cars and their "lane keeping" systems.
[/QUOTE

My first impression was that the exterior of the car is absolutely stunning. Genuinely one of the best looking vehicles on the road, it really turns heads everywhere. I'm very happy with my configuration, especially the Mission E wheels. I was unsure about the high gloss black option vs body color or unpainted but they're stunning in black in person. My one complaint of the exterior is the black plastic pieces. I'd appreciate any advice for cleaning products/gloss to make them look better. The interior on the other hand initially disappointed me. I guess cross shopping it against more traditional luxury cars, I had different expectations for the interior of a ~150k vehicle. This however changed after spending time with the car and I'll talk more about it below with my impressions after my 5 hour trip home. My Porsche Connect services weren't activated by the dealer prior to the car being delivered and even though we set up the account before I left the dealership, they've yet to activate. This was annoying as the Charging Planner requires the service be active so the car could not help me find chargers or plan my route. I could at least use the free charging as I did add it to my account using the instructions posted in a thread here. I used ABRP to get home but it was still annoying not to have the services active. My last BMW setup the services immediately and the car was active before I was done signing the paperwork. The final thing that I noticed in my initial impression of the car was that the Bose sound system was not very good, I was actually incredibly disappointed in the quality. With that said, below are my impressions after driving the car for a few hours.

After leaving the dealer and getting on the highway for the first time, I of course immediately loved the driving characteristics of the car. I was stressed from driving all morning to get to the dealer and dealing with the paperwork but a few presses of the accelerator and that was over. The car will put a smile on your face constantly. I find myself constantly grinning while driving this car. What a strange sensation that a car can have such an impact on your mood. It's really that much fun that a short drive can turn your day around. The car is so comfortable on the highway in normal mode. Even with the gigantic 21in wheels and tiny tire sidewalls, it almost rides like a large comfortable SUV over bumps. Throw it into sport plus and it hunkers down with just the right amount of stiffness. On the highway I did notice there is a surprising amount of cabin noise. I wish I would've been able to get a car with the double paned glass. The noise might be due to my tire/wheel configuration as I don't notice any wind noise so much as a lot of road noise from the tires. My previous car, a BMW i3 was actually quieter at anything but 70mph+ speeds. I think anyone coming from a non-EV will likely be impressed with the quietness compared to an ICE. I used Innodrive with adaptive cruise for a short while, it responded and tracked well however it's very aggressive with asking you to keep your hands on the wheel. I had my hand on the wheel the entire time but would have to artificially apply torque or move the wheel in a way I wouldn't normally if driving myself to let it know I was there, almost defeating the purpose. Systems with a capacitive steering wheel sensor or eye focus sensor like the Audi or BMW are much better in this regard. After a few hours I noticed the Bose system really opened up. My impressions went from being disappointed to impressed. If you don't like your Bose system, listen to it at decent volume levels for a few hours to break it in and it'll make a lot of difference. Finally, the interior has really grown on me. The one option missing from this stock car that almost meant me not buying it was full leather. While I do think the full leather interior is more luxurious, the partial leather interior is very good. Once you get past the fingerprints on all of the screens, the interior is incredibly modern and comfortable. A friend compared us sitting in the car with all of the touch screens in front of us to the recent space x launch, the car does feel like a spaceship, especially at night with all of the screens and ambient lighting.

Sorry that this was long winded. In all this is clearly one of the best cars on the market. I'm thrilled to own one. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

View attachment 2098

View attachment 2098
Thx for the comprehensive insight f02kbf....is your Taycan white or Carrara white metallic? What influenced your choice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx for the comprehensive insight f02kbf....is your Taycan white or Carrara white metallic? What influenced your choice?
It's Carrara white metallic. My vehicle is a car that someone else ordered and didn't take delivery of so they made the color choice. 😛 I knew that I wanted white for sure but had no preference between the two.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
It's Carrara white metallic. My vehicle is a car that someone else ordered and didn't take delivery of so they made the color choice. 😛 I knew that I wanted white for sure but had no preference between the two.
Thx f02kbf....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts