Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
So this is our 7th Porsche, every one we've ordered has had electric steering adjustment.
We just done the handover today to pick up our new car, when setting up each others memory settings we instantly noticed the lack of electric adjustment.

We questioned this, the sales manager stumbed and said it wasn't specced as is only on the 14 way or 18 way option. We pointed out that you can only choose the 14 or 18 way option on the turbo model.

He then went away and apologised and said there is a past shortage on the Column needed to adjust this electronically? Really? I thought the worldwide parts shortage was only more the computer side of things.
He then mentioned it would be after fitted.

I'm leaning to believe this has been missed off our spec.

Can any if you shed any light on this? I can't find any evidence of the claims online.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
So it sounds like your seat option should include the electric steering wheel adjustment and you don't have it. I have the 14 way with memory and it definitely includes the electric adjusting steering column. Is your dealer saying they are missing a part and they will instal it after the fact? I have never heard of that before. Did they give you any idea when this might be done?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Unless you are constantly changing drivers (Who have differing body shapes) then I'm not sure having electric adjustment of the steering column is really a necessity. I know once i set my driving position up I rarely change it and certainly not the steering position but this may differ in your case.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
Unless you are constantly changing drivers (Who have differing body shapes) then I'm not sure having electric adjustment of the steering column is really a necessity. I know once i set my driving position up I rarely change it and certainly not the steering position but this may differ in your case.
That's very true but its still nice to have especially if its part of your spec'ed vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the thing we are I share with my partner she's about a foot smaller. So the driver memory package is a necessity on every car we order.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
Has the dealer given you any idea when they might be able to correct this issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
He then went away and apologised and said there is a past shortage on the Column needed to adjust this electronically? Really? I thought the worldwide parts shortage was only more the computer side of things.
He then mentioned it would be after fitted.
I might have said I have a cash shortage, which I plan to "after fit" about the same time as they are after fitting the missing part. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
I might have said I have a cash shortage, which I plan to "after fit" about the same time as they are after fitting the missing part. ;)
That would be more than appropriate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My local dealer told me they were sending cars with the manual steering column so they could deliver the cars as the chip shortage impacted the electric steering adjustment. Once they received the powered steering, they would retrofit the customers impacted.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
So I noticed today that when I exit the vehicle my seat goes back but my steering wheel stays in place. I stopped by my dealer today to see what was up with this and they told me my wheel should rise and then return to the selected position when entering the car. They do not think mine is a chip issue but could be a calibration issue. In any event, they made me an appointment for 8/17 to check it out. More to follow.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
Had to reschedule my appointment from 8/17 to 9/1 as my dealer is not doing customer waits while service is being performed. I could have dropped it off but since this in my only car I needed a loaner and 9/1 is the first available date to get one. Like most other businesses the dealer is short of Tech's. Seems like nobody wants to work any more.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
So today I tried a few adjustments to see if I could correct the issue. First I tried unchecking the comfort setting and rechecking it. No dice. Then I moved the steering wheel to the highest position for 10 seconds, then lowered it to the lowest portion for 10 seconds, then pull it all the way out for 10 seconds and all the way in for 10 seconds. No change whatsoever. This use to work on my 2018 Cayman but no go on my Taycan 4S. I have no idea what Porsche Service is going to do when I bring it in on 9/1 so I'm not holding my breath that they will be able to fix the issue. My Service Advisor told me the Tech will contact Porsche directly to see if there is a service bulletin on the anomaly or if they have any idea how to fix it. I've decided I'll give them a couple of hours to see what can be done if anything at this point in time but I'm definitely not leaving my car. I don't find the steering wheel not rising up when I exit the car enough of an inconvenience for me to be without my car. If that's the case when they find a fix for it I'll bring my car back in. All other systems are functioning flawlessly including my plug and charge at EA.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
I have an appointment on Wednesday Sept 1st to look into the electric steering wheel not raising up when I exit the car. The seat goes back but the wheel stays where I have set it. I can't decided if I want to keep this appointment for two reasons. One is wheel in not in my way when I exit the car and the other is everything else is working perfectly and I an afraid if they start messing with my car something else might go wrong. I honestly don't think they know what is causing the problem or how to fix it so my inclination is to cancel the appointment and wait until they actually know what's causing the problem and how to fix it. What do your think?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have an appointment on Wednesday Sept 1st to look into the electric steering wheel not raising up when I exit the car. The seat goes back but the wheel stays where I have set it. I can't decided if I want to keep this appointment for two reasons. One is wheel in not in my way when I exit the car and the other is everything else is working perfectly and I an afraid if they start messing with my car something else might go wrong. I honestly don't think they know what is causing the problem or how to fix it so my inclination is to cancel the appointment and wait until they actually know what's causing the problem and how to fix it. What do your think?
I would ask if they understand the problem and the fix. If it ain‘t a bother, I would not have them poke around looking for a fix.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
I would ask if they understand the problem and the fix. If it ain‘t a bother, I would not have them poke around looking for a fix.
Thanks David. That's exactly what I was thinking.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
I stopped by my dealer today to discuss the electric steering wheel issue and they told me that no Taycan's have been borough it with this issue as yet and they have no idea what is causing it or how to fix it. They agree with me that as long as its not bothering me I should cancel my appointment, let them research the issue and get back to me. Everything else on my 4S is functioning perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took delivery of my new 2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo this past week. The car is also missing the electronic steering wheel adjustment, and a second key fob as well. My dealer gave me the same answer as PDACPS's -- that there is a critical computer chip shortage, including chips needed for these two parts. I will be notified as soon as the dealer receives the necessary parts from Porsche, although no one had any idea when the fixes might be completed.
My local dealer told me they were sending cars with the manual steering column so they could deliver the cars as the chip shortage impacted the electric steering adjustment. Once they received the powered steering, they would retrofit the customers impacted.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
I just took delivery of my new 2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo this past week. The car is also missing the electronic steering wheel adjustment, and a second key fob as well. My dealer gave me the same answer as PDACPS's -- that there is a critical computer chip shortage, including chips needed for these two parts. I will be notified as soon as the dealer receives the necessary parts from Porsche, although no one had any idea when the fixes might be completed.
Can you move the steering wheel at all or did the dealer have to set it for you? I can adjust mine up and down, in and out, but when I exit the car the wheel does not rise up as it should. I don't think mine is a chip issue. BTW welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
While I was waiting for my Taycan 4S to be wrapped, I got into to a conversation with another salesman at my dealership who also owns a Porsche Taycan. I was explaining to him the issue I am having with my electric steering wheel. He told me his was working properly but he does him a Panamera customer who is experiencing the same issue as me and so far the dealership has not been able to correct it. They have no idea what is causing it but are in communication with Porsche Germany to try to figure it out. Once they do I will set up a service appointment to get mine fixed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts