Taycan Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Taycan Turbo - Gentian Blue
57 Posts
I'm going to take your advice and run the 100amp cable, 50amp breaker and 14-50 outlet. This will get me up and running and I can hardwire for the 19.2 charger or if we get another EV then I charge them both at once on 50amp breakers. This is a fluid situation; probably change my mind again by the end of the day. Just wish guy at the dealership was more versed on this but we're both learning.
It’s a safe route. I did the same when I wired our Tesla a couple of years ago - fed 100amp circuit to the charger which is hard wired for future charging of multiple cars on the side of the house. In the garage though I just wired the circuits for 50amp as the garage feed is only 80amps and we don’t charge both cars in the garage at the same time.
Once we are able to replace the Tesla with another EV SUV that outside 100amp may come in handy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s a safe route. I did the same when I wired our Tesla a couple of years ago - fed 100amp circuit to the charger which is hard wired for future charging of multiple cars on the side of the house. In the garage though I just wired the circuits for 50amp as the garage feed is only 80amps and we don’t charge both cars in the garage at the same time.
Once we are able to replace the Tesla with another EV SUV that outside 100amp may come in handy!
Just spoke with my electrician and are going to throw up a sub panel in the garage as well. I've seen a clipper creek 100amp charger and of course the PMCC; what did you go with?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just spoke with my electrician and are going to throw up a sub panel in the garage as well. I've seen a clipper creek 100amp charger and of course the PMCC; what did you go with?
You can for sure save some money using 3rd party. Granted the PMCC comes with the car but if you want to keep that in the car for travel use, buying a 3rd party option for the home is a money saver. But remember too your car can only charge so fast so doesn’t matter how fast the plug can feed it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I live in Texas, US.
I've ordered Taycan 4S yesterday and added HUD and 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger.
(You can add those options at your local dealership in the US but not at Porsche website.)

I have only 120V power outlets in my garage so I have to tell my electrician to install 240V outlets.

What do I have to tell him specifically? I've heard NEMA 14-50 only covers 9.6kW(240V, 40amps) but mine is 19.2 kW.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 2413

·
Registered
65 Posts
Basically the same plug used by your dryer. Easily installed in the garage. The large pretty unit you see in the ads is great and the whole installation in my garage which requires a bit of a electrical line run was $800.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Basically the same plug used by your dryer. Easily installed in the garage. The large pretty unit you see in the ads is great and the whole installation in my garage which requires a bit of a electrical line run was $800.
I'm not familiar with the Clipper Creek product line but anything that's capable of feeding 100amps as the comment suggested is not going to use a dryer plug... depending on the plug those are for 30amp (NEMA 14-30), 50amp (NEMA 14-50), or maybe 60amp (NEMA 14-60). 100amp would be hard wired.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Clipper Creek product line but anything that's capable of feeding 100amps as the comment suggested is not going to use a dryer plug... depending on the plug those are for 30amp (NEMA 14-30), 50amp (NEMA 14-50), or maybe 60amp (NEMA 14-60). 100amp would be hard wired.
Dengarden.com has a good tutorial on electrical protocols as in AC DC, voltage, wattage, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dengarden.com
Thanks but I do my own wiring. I'm quite familiar with wiring and electrical code requirements. I'm making sure no one who reads a thread later thinks you can run a 100amp device on a dryer plug - it's not allowed nor safe. The plug is rated for either 30, 50, or 60 amps depending on what plug you're talking about.

Currently shipping Taycan's and 2021's without the upgraded inverter likely need a 14-50 plug which is rated for 50amps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks but I do my own wiring. I'm quite familiar with wiring and electrical code requirements. I'm making sure no one who reads a thread later thinks you can run a 100amp device on a dryer plug - it's not allowed nor safe. The plug is rated for either 30, 50, or 60 amps depending on what plug you're talking about.

Currently shipping Taycan's and 2021's without the upgraded inverter likely need a 14-50 plug which is rated for 50amps.
sorry to confuse. I meant. 220 v line but yea to 50 amps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently purchased a 2021 off the showroom floor that was delivered with the basic 9.6KW charging option. Had I ordered the car, I would have specified the 19.2KW charging option. I have been trying to find out what specifically would have been different in the car and or charger, thinking that it might be possible to get 19.2 after the fact. I have been unable to get a clear explanation about what the difference is from the dealer. I suspect its either a second inverter in parallel in the car or a larger inverter that replaces the 9.6 KW standard inverter. On the charging end, I'd suspect its a hard wired higher throughput charger. If anyone knows the answer and or has identified the parts that need to be removed / replaced, I'd appreciate your posting it.

That all being said, after checking with Porsche, my sales person said that Porsche Tech will be making an upgrade kit available for the 2021 Taycans to get 19.2KW charging. No info at all on pricing. All i got on timing is that "it should be available in the near future".

Anyone have any more info?

·
Registered
6 Posts
We've had one EV for 2 years and added the Taycan back in I think April. We've never had an issue with 50amp charging. Really it's just a matter of learning new habits... we plug in pretty regularly just to 'top off' so it's not a concern.
Could you share what you found on the other forum? I just sent in my order for the Cross Turismo and was considering this option.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m pretty sure you only need a 50 amp circuit. The car will only draw 45 amps.
In the US you need to rate the circuit at 125% of load for constant load devices like an EV. If you’re using the included EVSE then a 50amp circuit is what you need for the 14-50 plug but if you’re going to use a higher current option that’s direct wired you could go higher. I think our onboard rectifier caps out at 11kW which would need a 60amp circuit (45amp draw @ 125%)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts