Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Texas, US.
I've ordered Taycan 4S yesterday and added HUD and 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger.
(You can add those options at your local dealership in the US but not at Porsche website.)

I have only 120V power outlets in my garage so I have to tell my electrician to install 240V outlets.

What do I have to tell him specifically? I've heard NEMA 14-50 only covers 9.6kW(240V, 40amps) but mine is 19.2 kW.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Welcome @polarbear! One thing you can bring up to your electrician is the need for a 100 amp circuit. Other than that you should be good to go with the charger. When are you expected to get your 4S?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome @polarbear! One thing you can bring up to your electrician is the need for a 100 amp circuit. Other than that you should be good to go with the charger. When are you expected to get your 4S?
Thank you for your reply.
My dealer told me that I can get it early Feb 2021.

·
Registered
2020 Taycan Turbo - Gentian Blue
57 Posts
Man that's a nice bump in home charging speed. As the other person commented you'd need 100amps to do it as it's an 80 amp draw (watts=volts x amps) and you need 20% of headroom on something that's a constant draw which puts you at 96amps. I'm guessing it's going to be hard-wired. Makes me wonder how they handle the PMCM with that option....

Oh and you may want to look for pictures of the HUD. It looks like a bolt-on accessory that's behind the screen so you lose the 'floating' look of the dash. It's personal preference but just something to be aware of if you haven't seen it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man that's a nice bump in home charging speed. As the other person commented you'd need 100amps to do it as it's an 80 amp draw (watts=volts x amps) and you need 20% of headroom on something that's a constant draw which puts you at 96amps. I'm guessing it's going to be hard-wired. Makes me wonder how they handle the PMCM with that option....

Oh and you may want to look for pictures of the HUD. It looks like a bolt-on accessory that's behind the screen so you lose the 'floating' look of the dash. It's personal preference but just something to be aware of if you haven't seen it.
Thank you very much! It would help me a lot to make a decision.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any update on your home charging install? I just order a 2021 yesterday with the 19.2 on-board charger and was going to reach out to my electrician this afternoon about beefing up the amps.
Nice! You'll need a solid 100amp circuit just for the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any update on your home charging install? I just order a 2021 yesterday with the 19.2 on-board charger and was going to reach out to my electrician this afternoon about beefing up the amps.
My dealer told me that I need NEMA 14-50 Outlet and 100AMP Circuit Breaker.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My dealer told me that I need NEMA 14-50 Outlet and 100AMP Circuit Breaker.
Something to be aware of, you are in the US and code will require your breaker and outlet match because it's a continuous load. So don't be surprised if you're installing a 14-50 outlet the electrician will only put a 50amp breaker on the circuit. If the electrician isn't pulling a permit then they may not care. Key is that the wire you run can support 100amps. I venture to guess the PMCC will be hard wired if it's going to support 19.2kW charging. You should not be pulling 80 amps through a 14-50 plug. If it were me and I were running it today I would pull the cable for 100amp, use a 50amp breaker and a 14-50 outlet. That way down the road you can just swap the breaker and hardwire the new PMCC and you're good for 19.2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After a little more digging on another forum I believe the 19.2kwh on board charger is overkill. I thought I was oversizing it for future build out of EV charging publicly. I may just stick to the 14-50 and the 50 breaker.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After a little more digging on another forum I believe the 19.2kwh on board charger is overkill. I thought I was oversizing it for future build out of EV charging publicly. I may just stick to the 14-50 and the 50 breaker.
We've had one EV for 2 years and added the Taycan back in I think April. We've never had an issue with 50amp charging. Really it's just a matter of learning new habits... we plug in pretty regularly just to 'top off' so it's not a concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed and I am fine with learning a new habit. Few instances where I will be returning home and it be near empty and need to recharge in half the time; if ever. I'm going to see if the dealer will take it off the build.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Something to be aware of, you are in the US and code will require your breaker and outlet match because it's a continuous load. So don't be surprised if you're installing a 14-50 outlet the electrician will only put a 50amp breaker on the circuit. If the electrician isn't pulling a permit then they may not care. Key is that the wire you run can support 100amps. I venture to guess the PMCC will be hard wired if it's going to support 19.2kW charging. You should not be pulling 80 amps through a 14-50 plug. If it were me and I were running it today I would pull the cable for 100amp, use a 50amp breaker and a 14-50 outlet. That way down the road you can just swap the breaker and hardwire the new PMCC and you're good for 19.2.
Thanks for letting me know. Do I need to have my electrician install another outlet other than NEMA 14-50?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. Do I need to have my electrician install another outlet other than NEMA 14-50?
I don’t think there is an outlet rated for higher amperage. Generally what you’re using above that is hard wired. I can say with confidence though Porsche will not have you charging 19.2kw on a 14-50 outlet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to take your advice and run the 100amp cable, 50amp breaker and 14-50 outlet. This will get me up and running and I can hardwire for the 19.2 charger or if we get another EV then I charge them both at once on 50amp breakers. This is a fluid situation; probably change my mind again by the end of the day. Just wish guy at the dealership was more versed on this but we're both learning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
US code limits 14-50 to a 50amp breaker and wire size to draw 40amps of charge.
The 19kw charger will draw 80amps with required wire and breaker to be sized for 100amps. There is a 125% carve out for oversizing in NEC for electric vehicle charging as a continuous load. I expect these 2021 chargers will require a hard connection to the circuit just like Tesla. The difference in miles per hour charge will be double, 26mph increasing to approximately 52mph charge rate with the 19kw unit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts