Taycan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
Or was it really designed and built by someone else? That would break my heart.
What makes you think it was designed and built by someone other than Porsche?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An interview with Peter Rawlinson from Lucid: “One thing of which Rawlinson is particularly proud is that the technology — from the motors to the inverters to the batteries — were all developed in-house by Lucid, not bought off the shelf as many other EV makers are doing. “It’s unbelievable that Porsche, even the mighty Porsche, buys its powertrain. It’s not its own in-house tech. It’s unbelievable, the man in the street is just oblivious to this. And the leader, the big beast of EVs, is Tesla and it does it all in-house. And so we’re taking it to another level, I believe. I know that we have more than 15% better efficiency (than Tesla) with our own in-house technology-complete system. Now, with just our own team, we’re really pushing the envelope in every aspect of this.”
If true, who builds them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With not too much digging, I found who is the manufacturer of the Taycan motor and transmission: Schaeffler starts mass production of electric motors
It’s a great drivetrain and I love it. Just a shame that Porsche can’t come clean with this. Strikes me as very deceptive that they can’t even mention that they had a “partner” in its development. Every piece of marketing from Porsche talks about their developing the system. Heck, we all assumed this. It actually looks like it’s all Schaeffler. I’m heartbroken. There’s been class action suits brought for less. Time for someone from Porsche to step up and tell the truth!

·
Registered
162 Posts
With not too much digging, I found who is the manufacturer of the Taycan motor and transmission: Schaeffler starts mass production of electric motors
It’s a great drivetrain and I love it. Just a shame that Porsche can’t come clean with this. Strikes me as very deceptive that they can’t even mention that they had a “partner” in its development. Every piece of marketing from Porsche talks about their developing the system. Heck, we all assumed this. It actually looks like it’s all Schaeffler. I’m heartbroken. There’s been class action suits brought for less. Time for someone from Porsche to step up and tell the truth!
The video in this forum on building the Taycan shows the electric motor being assembled, so Porsche is building those. Most people discussing the transmission in the Taycan would be thinking of the 2-speed transmission on the rear axle. I do find it interesting that a subcontractor makes the co-axial front axle single speed transmission, but it does not break my heart. Porsche sub-contracts with many others for many parts of their car, Bosch for some electronics as one example.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
That sounds quite reasonable to me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Many parts are shared with the Audi too.
It makes sense to me that if there's an expert in the field, why wouldn't you use their superior knowledge rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.
Porsche has probably worked in partnership to develop their own unique product with the industry elite, I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Many parts are shared with the Audi too.
It makes sense to me that if there's an expert in the field, why wouldn't you use their superior knowledge rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.
Porsche has probably worked in partnership to develop their own unique product with the industry elite, I'm ok with that.
A few days ago I stumbled across a YouTube video about the development of the Porsche 924, I think after viewing the video referenced in the Cd video recently posted on the forum. It told the story of going from a car developed to be as cheaply built as possible out of the existing VW parts bin into what was called the best sports car in America.

It is not where the parts come from, it is the end result of what you did with those parts.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
That's an excellent analogy. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why does it matter who made the parts? Porsche put it together into a product. Did anyone really expect Porsche to build everything in the car from scratch, owning their own metal ores mines, metal foundries, their own IC design and foundries, etc? Most traditional auto manufacturers source many of their parts from their Tier 1's (such as Bosch for example). Those Tier 1's also buy parts from other companies (same example, I bet Bosch does not make their own microprocessors). The one outlier is Tesla who has been trying to break this trend with high level of vertical integration parts design and manufacturing all in-house (yes, they even started to design their own chips, though still manufacturing outside). Tesla approach results vary as far as quality, but the profitability of this approach and the customization control it gives the auto manufacturer has the incumbents seriously considering it. For example VW decided to develop a lot of their own software (including their own OS), rather than rely on Tier 1's as they did in the past.

Speaking of Bosch and EV transmissions, I wish Porsche and Audi would have gone with their EV CVT transmission.
Whenever I drove a Taycan, the top thing I disliked about it was the 2 speed transmission - every time I mash the go pedal I get the same shifting jolt as in an ICE car. Perhaps I've been spoiled with Tesla drive train, no shifting, acceleration smooth like butter, and overboost (equivalent) available whenever you hit the accelerator, not just in launch mode (but limited by current battery state, so similar to overboost limit of 2.5 seconds every whatever time period). That said, I am looking to get out of Tesla, and Taycan Cross Turismo is one of my options I am considering right now.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
I'm confused by your post. If you like the Tesla so much why are you looking to get out of it? And apparently you dislike the 2 speed transmission on the Taycan and yet you are looking to order a Taycan CT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm confused by your post. If you like the Tesla so much why are you looking to get out of it?
Sorry if this is confusing you. I figured the reasons to want to switch out of a Tesla are irrelevant on the topic of Taycan transmission. There are plenty, but basically boils down to not wanting experimental cars from a company which started prioritizing profit over customers. Check out Tesla forums for many, many stories from existing owners on what happened once Model 3 rolled out and they decided to cut corners everywhere on service. To give you one example, imagine your less than a year old, 20K miles, $100K+ Tesla main screen is going yellow. You go to service and they tell you that this is not covered under warranty, but actually your own fault for exposing the screen to oxygen and sunlight.

And apparently you dislike the 2 speed transmission on the Taycan and yet you are looking to order a Taycan CT.
Now it's my turn to be confused. Do you only purchase perfect, flawless, nothing to dislike, nothing possible to improve whatsoever products?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few days ago I stumbled across a YouTube video about the development of the Porsche 924, I think after viewing the video referenced in the Cd video recently posted on the forum. It told the story of going from a car developed to be as cheaply built as possible out of the existing VW parts bin into what was called the best sports car in America.

It is not where the parts come from, it is the end result of what you did with those parts.
Whoa David… Are you saying that the 924 was the best sports car in America? Was this a facetious comment? Or did I read you wrong?

·
Registered
2021 Base Taycan Black with Black and Limestone Beige Interior
26 Posts
And the Batteries are made by Draexlmaier:

I still think the Taycan is an awesome amalgamation and I’m old enough to remember the dumbass class action lawsuit against GM when Oldsmobile or Chevrolet engines were used in Cadillacs. 🙄

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
Sorry if this is confusing you. I figured the reasons to want to switch out of a Tesla are irrelevant on the topic of Taycan transmission. There are plenty, but basically boils down to not wanting experimental cars from a company which started prioritizing profit over customers. Check out Tesla forums for many, many stories from existing owners on what happened once Model 3 rolled out and they decided to cut corners everywhere on service. To give you one example, imagine your less than a year old, 20K miles, $100K+ Tesla main screen is going yellow. You go to service and they tell you that this is not covered under warranty, but actually your own fault for exposing the screen to oxygen and sunlight.

Not it's my turn to be confused. Do you only purchase perfect, flawless, nothing to dislike, nothing possible to improve whatsoever products?
No I only purchase Porsche’s

·
Registered
13 Posts
No I only purchase Porsche’s
:) Who knows, I might go back to Porsche too (previously 911 was my car of choice). I have been with Tesla since 2013 (sorry, Porsche kept on selling ICE cars which simply couldn't touch the EV performance) but definitely ready to move-on four Model S's later. Not going back to ICE, but finally Porsche has an EV which would work for me (almost bought the Taycan when it came out, but different stage of life, don't have space to park 2 cars anymore, so need one car which can give me performance and able to handle lots of cargo on occasion). If I end up buying the CT, you will likely see me active here. Currently the CT is the front runner, though the local dealer is telling me it might be a long wait for even an allocation, so I might end up picking up something else and reconsider Porsche in 2-3 years. Heck, that's how I ended up with a Model S, I was waiting for a Model X, got bored, picked up a Model S as a placeholder instead, then another one (Model X was very delayed), then when Model X did finally came out, I didn't like it as much as the Model S, so got 2 more since, but cannot convince myself to buy another one - the steering yoke with all touch buttons instead of the steering wheel with physical buttons and stalks was the final straw that solidified my desire to switch brands.

All that said, I don't wear rose colored glasses, and definitely don't see any car as absolutely flawless with no room for improvement. :)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
All that said, I don't wear rose colored glasses, and definitely don't see any car as absolutely flawless with no room for improvement. :) I absolutely agree with your statement. Good luck with your search. I sure hope it ends up to be a Taycan CT. I am certain that you will love it. I will definitely be worth waiting for.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Whoa David… Are you saying that the 924 was the best sports car in America? Was this a facetious comment? Or did I read you wrong?
I am not saying it was so, and it certainly was not so on release, I am only referring to reviews of later models at the time that were making the claim. There are plenty of those reviews pictured in the video.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts