Taycan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Petty amazing to see.
Remember, Porsche rates the Taycan Turbo at 201 miles of range.

Based on the driving experiment done over about 450 miles of driving, the observed total range for the car came in at 227 miles, 260 miles and 256 miles. If you average that, you're at 247.6 miles.



Starting SOCEnding SOCSOC UsedMiles DrivenRemaining Range Est.Total Range w/EstimateMiles Per kWhObserved Total Range
98%39%59%13491225 mi.2.71227 mi.
96%41%55%14398241 mi.3.11 260 mi.
96%34%62%15981240 mi.3.06256 mi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
I found this section of the article to be the most interesting, they say that they could've gotten even better range if the weather conditions were different.

Had we been driving in 70-degree temperatures and no rain the range would have been even better. Even with the cold weather and rain, we averaged 2.96 miles per kWh over the 436-mile trip. If you multiply that consumption rate by the 83.7 usable capacity the Taycan Turbo has, you come up with 248-miles of range per charge. That's not bad, and much better than the EPA range rating of 201 miles per charge. The car's remaining range estimator was a little more conservative and if you add the miles driven with the estimated remaining range you get a trip average of 235 miles per charge, still way better than EPA.
Also, the section where they talk about the EPA testing is pretty revealing too. I don't understand why the Taycan is giving people trouble in figuring out the actual range.

So why the huge discrepancy? I honestly don't know. I've driven pretty much all of the EVs available today, and I usually agree with the EPA range rating. EV range is a moving target; there are a lot of factors that influence how far any EV can go. We already talked about battery temperature and weather conditions like rain we experienced above. Topography is another. We did lose 1,000 ft of elevation from Atlanta to Daytona Beach so that was helpful, but not really enough to make that much of a difference over a 436-mile drive.

Also notable is the fact that the EPA provided the range figures themselves, and that's not how it usually happens. Many people don't realize that the manufacturer does the range testing and provides the EPA with the range rating and the data to back it up. The EPA has the choice to accept that data and publish it, or to then do their own internal testing. In the case of the Taycan, the EPA decided to do their own range certification, and those numbers came out much lower than what Porsche expected.

The EPA only does their own testing for about 10% - 15% of the EVs on the market today, the range figures for the remaining 85% - 90% were provided by the manufacturer. The EPA just doesn't have the resources to test every car, so they randomly pick some to test internally and the Taycan was chosen.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty alarming that they don't actually test the cars themselves most of the time

"For many, the explanation of what happened was an eye-opening look at how the system works: The EPA establishes the tests that yield the fuel economy figures, but for the most part it doesn't conduct the tests itself. It doesn't have the budget, equipment or manpower to test the hundreds of individual models with unique engine and transmission combinations that automakers produce each year.

Instead, the agency gives its test protocols to the auto companies and lets each test its own cars and trucks. It accepts as true the "EPA estimated" fuel-efficiency numbers each car company submits. To keep the industry honest, the agency runs scores of spot checks each year. Until the Hyundai/Kia mess, only two rollbacks had been ordered in the past decade, each for a single model. The 13 Hyundai and Kia models with overstated fuel efficiency represent an unprecedented breach that has some consumer advocates calling for the agency to conduct an industry-wide verification of fuel-efficiency claims."

 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top