Taycan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Due to some luck I had a Porsche Taycan 4S all to myself for about an hour. As a big fan of both Tesla and Porsche, I've driven many of the modern Porsches and I've driven almost all of the Tesla models (including all Performance Model S/3/X except the OG Roadster and the Model Y. I currently DD an AWD Model 3 with acceleration boost. Here are some of my thoughts on many of the aspects of the Taycan from the perspective of a long time Tesla driver.

Exterior design: It's all subjective, but I think it's one of the two best looking 4 door sedan on the planet right now, EV or otherwise. Small details like the headlights just really sets it apart from the competition.

Powertrain: The 4S is the "slowest" Taycan model at only 3.8s 0-60. But in typical Porsche fashion it's probably a little quicker than that. It launches slightly harder than my Model 3 (3.9s 0-60 according to Tesla https://100001.onl/ https://1921681254.mx/) but definitely won't blow away anyone who's been driving any of the Performance Tesla models. One thing I both liked and disliked was the two-gear transmission. On one hand it pulls hard at speed well north of 70mph (far quicker than my Model 3 at that speed) but despite how amazing PDK is in their ICE cars, that one shift just feels jarring in the context of an EV. It's barely noticeable but once you notice it, it's hard to ignore.

Additionally, it doesn't regen nearly as hard as Tesla does when you lift foot off the throttle, that may be jarring for some EV owners but since I often drive ICE sports cars on weekends it didn't bother me. However I prefer Tesla's implementation as far as an EV experience goes.

Handling/Chassis/Steering: The unit I drove had PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) and All Wheel Steering, but did not have the physics defying electromechanical anti-roll bar system. But even then it's by far the best handling and best steering EV I've driven by a mile. It weights about 600lbs heavier than my Model 3 yet has less body roll, far better/natural steering, quicker frontend response, and a more compliant ride at the same time, all on All Season Tires. Considering Model 3 is the most "sporty" model in the current Tesla lineup, it's safe to say the Taycan is far ahead of any other Tesla models in terms of driving dynamics.

Interior: Design is subjective, but it's got a pretty attractive interior. Porsche has always been known to have the best build quality amongst all the mass production manufacturers, and the Taycan is the same. A high end Porsche makes most mid-range BMW/Mercedes/Audi look like they are built by children in a South East Asian sweatshop, and even the Ferrari 458 Italia I drove on the same weekend had worse interior build quality.

Material wise it's nothing to write home about though, in a typical Porsche fashion, it has way too much plastic (although high quality ones) for cars of its price point. The Model S's cabin material has always been pretty decent, so the gap isn't large here.

Cabin insulation: Far quieter than my Model 3, 80mph in this car on the same stretch of highway feels like 50 in my Tesla. I guess some of those extra weight went to insulation after all.

Cabin tech: The instrument display was beautiful, the curved instrument panel was striking to say the least. Tesla still has the largest touchscreens in the industry but these days they fall a bit behind in contrast and pixel density (Mercedes is probably the best these days). However this center console screen was absolutely awful and it combines the worst of physical buttons and touch screen. It's not super responsive, looks bad, requires you to press down like a physical button (and in turn it has haptic feedback), and gets really hot after a while. It's just terrible.

Btw Tesla really, really need to upgrade their parking camera systems. These days 3D surround cameras are pretty common on highend German cars, meanwhile Tesla still doesn't offer a simple top down view in any of the cars. Some of the other stuff ranged from very useful stuff like cooled seats to gimmicks like night vision.

Porsche has always been the worst in terms of cabin tech amongst the luxury German manufacturers and the Taycan follows that tradition. It didn't even have HUD as an option (apparently the 2021 model added it). The interior tech gap between the Taycan and Model S actually isn't nearly as bad as it's between the Tesla and say.. an Audi A6.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Welcome @Moosewala and thanks for sharing your take on the Taycan. After all this, how would you position it against the Model S? Does it do enough typical Porsche things to the point it can be a good selling point? Or do the positives of the Model S far outweigh them?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Due to some luck I had a Porsche Taycan 4S all to myself for about an hour. As a big fan of both Tesla and Porsche, I've driven many of the modern Porsches and I've driven almost all of the Tesla models (including all Performance Model S/3/X except the OG Roadster and the Model Y. I currently DD an AWD Model 3 with acceleration boost. Here are some of my thoughts on many of the aspects of the Taycan from the perspective of a long time Tesla driver.

Exterior design: It's all subjective, but I think it's one of the two best looking 4 door sedan on the planet right now, EV or otherwise. Small details like the headlights just really sets it apart from the competition.

Powertrain: The 4S is the "slowest" Taycan model at only 3.8s 0-60. But in typical Porsche fashion it's probably a little quicker than that. It launches slightly harder than my Model 3 (3.9s 0-60 according to Tesla) but definitely won't blow away anyone who's been driving any of the Performance Tesla models. One thing I both liked and disliked was the two-gear transmission. On one hand it pulls hard at speed well north of 70mph (far quicker than my Model 3 at that speed) but despite how amazing PDK is in their ICE cars, that one shift just feels jarring in the context of an EV. It's barely noticeable but once you notice it, it's hard to ignore.

Additionally, it doesn't regen nearly as hard as Tesla does when you lift foot off the throttle, that may be jarring for some EV owners but since I often drive ICE sports cars on weekends it didn't bother me. However I prefer Tesla's implementation as far as an EV experience goes.

Handling/Chassis/Steering: The unit I drove had PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) and All Wheel Steering, but did not have the physics defying electromechanical anti-roll bar system. But even then it's by far the best handling and best steering EV I've driven by a mile. It weights about 600lbs heavier than my Model 3 yet has less body roll, far better/natural steering, quicker frontend response, and a more compliant ride at the same time, all on All Season Tires. Considering Model 3 is the most "sporty" model in the current Tesla lineup, it's safe to say the Taycan is far ahead of any other Tesla models in terms of driving dynamics.

Interior: Design is subjective, but it's got a pretty attractive interior. Porsche has always been known to have the best build quality amongst all the mass production manufacturers, and the Taycan is the same. A high end Porsche makes most mid-range BMW/Mercedes/Audi look like they are built by children in a South East Asian sweatshop, and even the Ferrari 458 Italia I drove on the same weekend had worse interior build quality.

Material wise it's nothing to write home about though, in a typical Porsche fashion, it has way too much plastic (although high quality ones) for cars of its price point. The Model S's cabin material has always been pretty decent, so the gap isn't large here.

Cabin insulation: Far quieter than my Model 3, 80mph in this car on the same stretch of highway feels like 50 in my Tesla. I guess some of those extra weight went to insulation after all.

Cabin tech: The instrument display was beautiful, the curved instrument panel was striking to say the least. Tesla still has the largest touchscreens in the industry but these days they fall a bit behind in contrast and pixel density (Mercedes is probably the best these days). However this center console screen was absolutely awful and it combines the worst of physical buttons and touch screen. It's not super responsive, looks bad, requires you to press down like a physical button (and in turn it has haptic feedback), and gets really hot after a while. It's just terrible.

Btw Tesla really, really need to upgrade their parking camera systems. These days 3D surround cameras are pretty common on highend German cars, meanwhile Tesla still doesn't offer a simple top down view in any of the cars. Some of the other stuff ranged from very useful stuff like cooled seats to gimmicks like night vision.

Porsche has always been the worst in terms of cabin tech amongst the luxury German manufacturers and the Taycan follows that tradition. It didn't even have HUD as an option (apparently the 2021 model added it). The interior tech gap between the Taycan and Model S actually isn't nearly as bad as it's between the Tesla and say.. an Audi A6.
Fantastic writeup @Moosewala! I really enjoyed reading this.

Have you seen the new changes to the Model S? Do you think they make it better or worse compared to the Taycan?

With regards to regen, the Taycan doesn't regen when you lift off the throttle. It only regens when you press the brake. It's definitely different compared to Tesla and other EVs. Porsche believes that regen is easier to control with the brake pedal (90% of braking happens with regen rather than the actual brakes when you press down).

·
Registered
'17 Model S, '20 Taycan 4S, '12 Mercedes 450GL
16 Posts
I would add the following as an owner of a 2020 Taycan 4S and 2017 Tesla Model S 100D, and former 2010 911 Turbo (first launch mode model).

Having had launch mode in the Turbo for over 10 years it has become less important to me to have the aggressive 0-60 acceleration, and 3 years in the Tesla have made range more important than acceleration. My priorities are much more skewed toward driving comfort and range than getting off the line quickly.

The Taycan feels like so much better of a driving experience than the Tesla, more solid, and such a better road experience. Especially if you can find some curves. ;)

There is a small amount of regeneration when you take your foot off the accelerator, and you can enable a more aggressive regen but it is nothing like the Tesla. In Sport Plus mode the regen is also in the more aggressive mode, but again, not like "one–pedal driving" mode of the Tesla.

However, there is no competition in terms of software and charging. Last week we drove the Taycan from Denver to Phoenix (~900 miles), and the experience in charging with the Electrify America system was horrible. We had to call their customer service to reset the chargers more often than not, and the charging was often very slow. We spent almost 5 hours in charging time on each leg of the trip. The charging planning process was also a lot more effort that what is required by the Tesla. Last September we drove the Tesla to Sacramento from Denver, and had the charging was planned by the Tesla itself, and all the chargers were working and charged rapidly.

The comparison between the apps is what you would expect given the number of years that Tesla has been working on it. Setting the charging limit is easy/simple, unlocking, pre-conditioning, etc. is all super simple in the Tesla app, and more difficult or more buggy in the Porsche Connect app.

But once you are in the car, with a good charge, there is no comparison.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts