Taycan Forum banner

How often will you actually use DC charging?

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sport Mode 
#1 ·
For every day, I honestly don't drive more than at most 50 miles a day. So my Taycan will easily be able to recharge back to 100% every evening plugged into my level 2 charger at home. I'm glad the Taycan offers DC charging, as it should as a technology leader, but I probably won't actually use it unless I take the Taycan on a long trip. And even then, I generally like to rent a minivan or something to carry everyone and save the rock chips from damaging my nice cars at home! So I might never even use the DC charging, as crazy as that sounds!

#2 ·
Considering the Taycan can be charged from 0 to 100% on L2 at home in around 12 hours DC fast charging is not required nor should be used for daily use. DC fast charging is a great option for road trips and as needed, but it does stress the battery much more than L2 and would result in long term degradation if used daily.

This was one of the misleading Tesla claims in that they never initially made clear that Supercharging should be used as needed, so some owners were using it as daily charging. And that lead to battery degradation in much quicker time frame and required some throttling.

So your plan is very sound.

#3 ·
I didn't realize there were some battery degradation reports among Tesla owners who were using the DC chargers often. Makes sense. Is there any way to mitigate that battery degradation, with something like extra active cooling during the DC charging event? Or is that fast charging degradation something we can't get around with our current technology? I'm basically wondering if there was an opportunity for Porsche to make the Taycan more resistant to battery degradation from the DC charging events, taking advantage of the years between the debut of the Model S and the Taycan.

#4 ·
Even with active cooling which Tesla and Taycan have the batteries are hit harder. So in occasional use it’s not something to worry about. But yes it has cumulative effect.

The issue with Tesla was they didn’t make it clear, then they throttled somes cars that had battery capacity reduction to prevent potential fires. They only admitted after owners who used to supercharge a lot noticed slower charging.

#6 ·
In my experience (on my second T Model S) the battery degradation has to do with charging the battery to 100% for long trips. Tesla recommends and reminds you that charging to 100% will degrade the battery. I usually charge to 60-80% for day to day use and long term storage. My P100D did lose range. 100% was ~350 miles when new and now after ~ten 100% charges for 250 mile non-stop highway trips at 78 MPH with AC and heat if needed I am closer to just over 300 full charge capacity with ~24k miles on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.