Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Taycan forum and just wanted to get a better understanding of the Home EV Charging Station. I am planning on a dual inside and outside charger. I live in Los Angeles. Can any electrician do this work? We have our home electrician we like a lot? What should I expect? Any certain hardware I need him to buy? What is the typical cost? I assume the charging cords I buy direct from Porsche. The EV Charging station outlet can be generic and not porsche?

Thank you so much

·
Registered
19 Posts
New to the Taycan forum and just wanted to get a better understanding of the Home EV Charging Station. I am planning on a dual inside and outside charger. I live in Los Angeles. Can any electrician do this work? We have our home electrician we like a lot? What should I expect? Any certain hardware I need him to buy? What is the typical cost? I assume the charging cords I buy direct from Porsche. The EV Charging station outlet can be generic and not porsche?

Thank you so much
I don't know about outdoors but in my garage a regular electrician added a 50amp fuse to my fusebox and a 240v volt outlet (same as your dryer). The Porsche connect charger comes with an 8 ft cord (to the car). There is a 25ft option also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You

Thank you so much
Your electrician will need to know if you will be getting a NEMA 14-50 (which has 4 wires) or a 6-50 (which has 3 wires) charging cable. Both are available for the Taycan, and I believe that if you have not specified then you will get the 14-50, so check your build specification list.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you so much
I have an outdoor charger with my 2021 4S and have the performance battery plus option. My only advice besides a licensed electrician and using the porsche approved charging unit, would be to ensure you have enough space on your breaker panel and enough power in your home. I thought my installation was going to be easy, but $15K later I had to upgrade the utility power feed into the home (due to a few other power consuming amenities), upgrade my breaker panel to accommodate the new 50amp breaker, and run new wiring across the home. Works great but in retrospect, I would have kept charging at the office or at a local speed charging station since only 30min when others not in use.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
138 Posts
I have an outdoor charger with my 2021 4S and have the performance battery plus option. My only advice besides a licensed electrician and using the porsche approved charging unit, would be to ensure you have enough space on your breaker panel and enough power in your home. I thought my installation was going to be easy, but $15K later I had to upgrade the utility power feed into the home (due to a few other power consuming amenities), upgrade my breaker panel to accommodate the new 50amp breaker, and run new wiring across the home. Works great but in retrospect, I would have kept charging at the office or at a local speed charging station since only 30min when others not in use.
15k? what was done for that kind of money? a new line from the street into a new panel box? that is extremely over priced

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
138 Posts
You

Your electrician will need to know if you will be getting a NEMA 14-50 (which has 4 wires) or a 6-50 (which has 3 wires) charging cable. Both are available for the Taycan, and I believe that if you have not specified then you will get the 14-50, so check your build specification list.
always, always go with a nema 14-50 install, it will serve you better

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
775 Posts
15K sounds unbelievable high.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I Paid $1,500 to add a 50amp breaker and run 6 gauge wire 90+ feet and install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage.

You got sold on an entire house electrical panel upgrade for 15k and even that sounds high.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
775 Posts
I still can't get over the 15K price. Since I live in a luxury high-rise apartment building I can only charge at public charging stations. They do have Charge Point stations in the parking deck but I choose to travel 1.5 miles to the EA station so Porsche can pickup the tab.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
138 Posts
I Paid $1,500 to add a 50amp breaker and run 6 gauge wire 90+ feet and install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage.

You got sold on an entire house electrical panel upgrade for 15k and even that sounds high.
I did a similar install for under $500.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
775 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts

If it was high or way to high depends on where he is located and the details of the panel upgrades and the local rules about rewiring the mains from the power pole. It may not have been as high as some are claiming. It sounds like at least 2 panels were rewired, and that can take a very long time. In some markets here in the US truly qualified electricians are in short supply.

·
Registered
2021 Taycan RWD, Neptune Blue
5 Posts
I also had an electrician install the 50 amp line for the Porsche charger. Just for reference to others, the initial quote was $500, but the breaker panel had to be rewired to make room for the new connection, so it ended up being $960. It all works very well, however, and I like the features on the Porsche charging unit.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
775 Posts
Good luck with your new Taycan.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Thank you so much

·
Registered
65 Posts
It’s very East to set it up inside and out. The same 240v plug your dryer uses is fine. I got the charger and lord with the car and it works beautifully. Get solar and you won’t even add to the expense on your electrical bill.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also had an electrician install the 50 amp line for the Porsche charger. Just for reference to others, the initial quote was $500, but the breaker panel had to be rewired to make room for the new connection, so it ended up being $960. It all works very well, however, and I like the features on the Porsche charging unit.
My coat was around $850 but they had to run a line around the garage so that was about 350 more. But it was easy to install.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My coat was around $850 but they had to run a line around the garage so that was about 350 more. But it was easy to indta

·
Registered
2021 Taycan RWD, Neptune Blue
5 Posts
Another aspect to this is your electric utility company and the rates they charge. Southern California Edison has a "time-of-use" plan for electric car owners, and many other utility companies do as well. I get a much reduced rate per KWhr between 9 pm and 4 pm (but pay a higher rate between 4 pm and 9 pm). A full charge at night for my Taycan with the larger battery is costing about $15.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts