Taycan Forum banner

High voltage charger failure

11K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Brain159 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I’m new to Porsche and the forum, so I apologise if I’m repeating these issues/questions.

I’ve had my 4S for three months. It’s has the usual software gremlins, but nothing too major. Then three weeks ago the car stopped charging. After three weeks in the dealership, they “think” it may be a high voltage charging unit failure, but they’re not sure as they’ve never seen this problem before. They have no idea when the replacement part may arrive.

1: has anyway had a similar problem?
2: the battery has been sitting at 2% for the past three weeks and will do until the issue is fixed. Would anyone be concerned about battery degradation, given the advice from Porsche themselves us to not leave the battery discharged for long periods!?

Thanks a lot in advance for any thoughts,

M.

#2 ·
this is a shame that you are having such issues, it is common for these cars to have wonky flaws that the service people, who appear to lack proper training, is the car not taking an AC or DC charge, or both?
as for the battery sitting for long periods at a low SOC, my past experience and others who have had their cars inoperable for months at a time there doesn't seem to be long term damage from a low SOC.
my tesla sat for many months awaiting parts because the charge port was damaged in a crash.
good luck and read up on the lemon laws in place wherever you live.

#3 ·
Hi Kort,

Thanks for the reply!

The car is taking no charge whatever, AC or DC. It’s very puzzling apparently 🤷🏼‍♂️. Ultimately, it’s a real shame, it’s such an amazing car! But ya I have familiarised myself with the lemon laws, good advice.
That’s great to know about the batteries! They’ve given me a model s as a loaner while mine is in the dealership, lovely car 😉.

#4 ·
Hi Kort,

Update, after 9 weeks, I finally got the car back. They ended up replacing the 12V battery, and the high voltage charging unit.
Battery health tests show a 6% degeneration, which I thought was a lot, for a car with 5,000 miles. The engineers disagreed, so I took it back 5 days ago, saying I would compare to trips I've made previously. Since I've gotten the car back, the range predictions have been going nuts, jumping up and down by 10-20 miles at random. I went on a trip today that I did multiple times before the issue. Whereas I was getting 260-280+ prior, sadly todays' trip only got me 183 miles, with an average speed of 30miles per hour because the traffic was so bad (I drove ridiculously conservatively). I'm loosing about 40% on each trip I make, over the actual milage.

Bit of a shame all in all, but looks like I'll be handing the car back, given they have so far refused to change the battery. Real disappointment.

#10 ·
Hi Kort,

Update, after 9 weeks, I finally got the car back. They ended up replacing the 12V battery, and the high voltage charging unit.
Battery health tests show a 6% degeneration, which I thought was a lot, for a car with 5,000 miles. The engineers disagreed, so I took it back 5 days ago, saying I would compare to trips I've made previously. Since I've gotten the car back, the range predictions have been going nuts, jumping up and down by 10-20 miles at random. I went on a trip today that I did multiple times before the issue. Whereas I was getting 260-280+ prior, sadly todays' trip only got me 183 miles, with an average speed of 30miles per hour because the traffic was so bad (I drove ridiculously conservatively). I'm loosing about 40% on each trip I make, over the actual milage.

Bit of a shame all in all, but looks like I'll be handing the car back, given they have so far refused to change the battery. Real disappointment.
183 seems about right for 85% charge in winter months. And my car showed 93% battery health over a year ago and at that time they said that was “normal” range. Welcome to the Taycan shit show !!

#6 ·
The dealership took the car in for further testing, and following their own range test, could only manage 200 miles in range mode at 100%. The ambient temperature was 18 Celsius, so not cold at all. I was getting 250+ miles before the incident. Even range tests online in -13 Celsius have managed 213 miles.
So the dealership now agrees there’s an issue with the battery, but corporate Porsche continue to refuse there’s any issue. They just keep quoting “it’s within normal limits”. So unfortunately there has been no resolution.
The dealership have been great, so I’m likely just going to trade in the car and buy a new taycan GTS, as the only other option is litigation which isn’t a route I want to go down. Very disappointed in Porsche though. Expected better.

#7 ·
This whole thing is ridiculous. There is definitely something wrong with the battery and Porsche should step up and address it. I do understand your not wanting to go the legal rout. Unfortunately it will become some one else’s problem.

#8 ·
Ya it’s exceptionally frustrating. But it raises a real issue for the future in relation to battery health and range. I can’t be the only person this has happened to, between all the models now available in electric. Eventually someone will go the legal route.

#11 ·
I have found temperature to be a big factor in charging the battery, as well as the range I am able to achieve. If the car has sat out over night (i.e. at a hotel or in a garage that is not heated) in below freezing weather I have noticed a very, very dramatic decrease in initial range. Once the batter heats up the range increases, and charges faster when charging at the next stop.

#13 ·
Sad news guys, my Porsche Taycan turbo wouldn’t charge, tripped the fuse box at home and at the Porsche garage. I’ve been told today that the car needs a new high voltage board and it’s on back order, no idea of when it will come. I hope I don’t have a long wait time like you.

#15 ·
Hi Shirley, my part took 2 weeks to arrive. As soon as the garage knew the eta, they started work on the car beforehand to minimise delay.
One the plus side, they also done an update campaign and that resulted on my pcm being updated to the new colour icons and spotify music, it felt good again after 2 weeks.

#22 ·
My high voltage charger has now failed twice. Once in October 2022, and now again less than 12 months after being replaced. Thankfully my car is still in warranty (I bought it 20 months ago), and on both occasions was fixed for free. This all adds up to a rather unsatisfactory experience. Porsche are unable to tell my why the part keeps failing. Anyone else with this part failing multiple times?

#23 ·
Прочитал и ужаснулся, теперь подумываю о покупке. Машина покупается не один год, и боюсь представить, что с ней будет через 2-3 года. Прочитал и ужаснулся, теперь подумываю о покупке. Автомобиль покупается не один год, и я боюсь представить, что с ним будет через 2-3 года.