Taycan Forum banner

Hi, new member in the Midwest

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Axiom 
#1 ·
Hi, new member in the Midwest with delivery targeted for May.

#3 ·
Thanks @St00k. First time Porsche buyer. Have looked over the years (lot of time considering a cayenne for my wife and I’ve eyed GT3’s for the last 6 years) but just didn’t fall in love enough to buy one. I drive a highly modified V10 M5 and we also have a model X from Tesla so not new to EV. I just wanted something different for a fun car on the side and needed it to be as quick as my daily driver so I ordered a Turbo Taycan.

#14 ·
Wow I managed to unsubscribe to the thread! Car was delivered after a slight covid-delay (hit the port right when it got shut down) the end of May. So far - loving it! Ended up selling the M5 though after a lot of contemplation... they just don't do well if they sit and I barely put miles on a car anyway so two was going to be a a bad idea for the M5. I miss her but the Taycan is great.

#16 ·
Delayed response here as I managed to unsubscribe so didn't see the comments.

Thanks! Turbo

Welcome.

I hope your experience with that E60 M5 is better than other owners I know. Are you still planning to keep it even well into Taycan ownership?

Also, if you want an easy way to share your Taycan spec, this VIN decoder makes it super easy: Porsche VIN Decoder (Lookup Options, Engine, Build Sheet)
Yeah, initially that was the plan but M5's are not cars that sit well. It's for sure a variant where low miles is a bad sign and I don't really drive much other than for fun so having a fun car really seemed like a bad idea for hanging on to the M5. Was hard to do as it was my favorite car being such a beast but I let her go to someone that would keep the RPM's up. She was at close to 90k miles and performed flawlessly through every day use and track days. You just have to take care of them, change their oil, and not nickle and dime maintenance.

The Taycan order was pretty straight forward. Turbo, premium package, PCCB yellow brakes, 18way seats, chrono. I think that's about it. Even after having it for a while I went back and configured a new one to see if I regretted anything and I didn't. Only thing I'd still give consideration to is rear steering. I do like the idea of the electric charging doors but I don't like that it fills in the vent. So overall, I think I'd order the same spec again other than maybe adding the rear wheel steering.

Welcome! The Taycan is a phenomenal car, but the E60 M5 is an animal in its own right. Hard to beat the sound of that V10.
Exactly. I had also removed the primary cats and OEM headers replacing them with long tubes and performance Section 3's. She sounded like a F1 car on the track... turns a lot of heads. But alas, also a little loud when you want to just quietly move on from a stop light.

Yeah its rare any automaker comes out with that configuration. At least newer M5's won't feel like a gamble when off warranty.
M5's in general are not cars you want to own out of warranty if you're not ready and willing to spend money. Cars depreciate but their repair parts don't. I didn't spend much on my car from a break fix perspective but I heavily modified it for track and racing so I upgraded anything I could. But aside from that investment, she was rock solid.

That engine is an absolute monster! I wish they made that car more reliable lol.
Never had an issue really with almost 90k miles. I had the occasional problem but she was also over 10 years old so it's natural that things wear out. Just that things on an M series aren't cheap - alas I doubt Porsche is any different ;)

#17 ·
Welcome back. haha.
What rims are those on the M5?
Those are Arc8's from Apex Racing. They're great b/c they're super light which helps on the track given the M5 is damn heavy (ironic to say now that I drive a Taycan). I used those in the summers and the OEM's in the winters.

I need to figure out something for the Taycan now. I'm not a fan of the OEM options so I took the default 20's and will repurpos them for my winters once I figure out summer options.

#18 ·
Haha. so true about the M5 no longer being heavy.

The Arc8s look stunning. I've always liked that design on BMWs.

We had another thread started about some wheel options. I think Vossen makes several and HRE will pretty much make you anything you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.