Taycan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thrilled to finally have my Taycan in hand!!!

I was hoping to get the Forum's help on two topics. I searched the Forum first but not sure I have all of the answers.

First, what Porsche apps do I need? There seem to be four different ones which is confusing:

• MyPorsche - which I have. Seems to only provide a few things about the car but is more an ad for Porscshe
  • Charging NA - which I have. This seems to be the one to use for charging at Electrify America stations to take advantage of the 30 minute free charging.
  • Porsche Connect - Don't have. Seems to allow for a few remote control functions but very limited. I read posts about an issue when charging and trying to change timer preferences that should be avoided to preserve the 12V battery. Should I get this app?
  • Porsche Car Connect - Don't have. Seems to offer add on concierge type services (navigation routes, etc) for additional cost. Am I missing anything. Is this worthwhile to get or all extra cost?

Second, I am confused about how to charge to the 85% ideal limit for in town driving. From the Forum posts, it looks like we can use the Timer function in the car (not Profile) to set a desired charge of 85%. Is that the best way to do it? Do you then set a new destination time for the following morning each time you charge overnight?

It seems that Timer function only works for AC charge. When using the fast DC charger at EV America, is there a way to limit the charge beyond 85% or do you just need to watch the charge levels and disconnect manually when it reaches 85%?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
160 Posts

I was hoping to get the Forum's help on two topics. I searched the Forum first but not sure I have all of the answers.

First, what Porsche apps do I need? There seem to be four different ones which is confusing:

• MyPorsche - which I have. Seems to only provide a few things about the car but is more an ad for Porscshe
  • Charging NA - which I have. This seems to be the one to use for charging at Electrify America stations to take advantage of the 30 minute free charging.
  • Porsche Connect - Don't have. Seems to allow for a few remote control functions but very limited. I read posts about an issue when charging and trying to change timer preferences that should be avoided to preserve the 12V battery. Should I get this app?
  • Porsche Car Connect - Don't have. Seems to offer add on concierge type services (navigation routes, etc) for additional cost. Am I missing anything. Is this worthwhile to get or all extra cost?
Second, I am confused about how to charge to the 85% ideal limit for in town driving. From the Forum posts, it looks like we can use the Timer function in the car (not Profile) to set a desired charge of 85%. Is that the best way to do it? Do you then set a new destination time for the following morning each time you charge overnight?

It seems that Timer function only works for AC charge. When using the fast DC charger at EV America, is there a way to limit the charge beyond 85% or do you just need to watch the charge levels and disconnect manually when it reaches 85%?

I have the following apps downloaded:

Charging NA
Electrify America
Electrify Canada
ChargePoint
EVgo
ABetterRoutePlanner
Plugshare
Porsche Connect App by Porsche Cars North America -

As for the charging .. can't help you there yet until July when my car hits

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have tried to change the % of charge from 95% to 85%, after I save it and look again it is back to 95%. I can't figure out how to change it. Will ask the dealer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have tried to change the % of charge from 95% to 85%, after I save it and look again it is back to 95%. I can't figure out how to change it. Will ask the dealer.
in the car itself.. under settings.. there is no option to set charging limit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had my virtual delivery experience with the my sales person using Facetime. He was very helpful on all of the car functions and it went well, but it was clear he was not attuned to the 85% battery charging question. Unfortunately on that important item, I am no closer to an answer yet.

May need to call Porsche NA if I strike out on the Forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts

If you want free charging with electrify America, you will need the Porsche connect app, you will need to register a Porsche username and password and put ina credit card, ( do this ahead of time) then, on the app go to explore, (know where the electrify America charger is physically located) zoom in and look for a red icon,(sometimes it is under your car icon) pull down and you will see the chargers, plug in and press the button to start charging on the app, watch your time, you only get 30 minutes And you will be charged if you go over, also be prepared some chargers don't work, go with patience, call electrify America, their customer service is awesome and they can manually start a charge on their end, also. I was hung up on using the 350 kw chargers, but the 150 kw are almost as fast. Hope that helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want free charging with electrify America, you will need the Porsche connect app, you will need to register a Porsche username and password and put ina credit card, ( do this ahead of time) then, on the app go to explore, (know where the electrify America charger is physically located) zoom in and look for a red icon,(sometimes it is under your car icon) pull down and you will see the chargers, plug in and press the button to start charging on the app, watch your time, you only get 30 minutes And you will be charged if you go over, also be prepared some chargers don't work, go with patience, call electrify America, their customer service is awesome and they can manually start a charge on their end, also. I was hung up on using the 350 kw chargers, but the 150 kw are almost as fast. Hope that helps
Cpoarchy:

Thanks very much for the info. Do you know what the Charging NA app is for? When I called Electrify America, they indicated I needed the Charging NA app but maybe both the Porsche Connect App and the Charging NA App will do the same. At least I know now how to do it with the Porsche Connect App - many thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is a seperate Porsche Charging App. (for the time being). You cannot charge from My Porsche or Porsche Connect. In the US the app is called “Charging America”

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a seperate Porsche Charging App. (for the time being). You cannot charge from My Porsche or Porsche Connect. In the US the app is called “Charging America”
I traveled from New Jersey to kentucky using the Porsche connect app, (using free charging from electrify America) can you show a link for the charging America app and I will try it, did see one from electrify America called charging na, getting ready to download and try it for free charging

·
Registered
160 Posts
I asked my dealer the same question. I have yet to get a reply. Hopefully someone out there has the answer
if you are on facebook .. consider joining, as i did, the Porsche Taycan group .. you probably will get more, perhaps even better and faster, answers to your questions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for your input and helpful advice. I tried the Charging NA App at EV America this afternoon. It looks like it should work and takes you all the way through a start charging icon for the particular EV charger you are using - but then nothing happens. Called EV America and they were great - started a free charging session and indicated I should talk to Porsche NA tomorrow.

I downloaded the Porsche Connect App and will try that next time. One question on that App is that I can't seem to find where to add any credit card info. I would think that would be necessary if I were to exceed 30 minutes of the free EA charge time. Under "Fees and Subscriptions" all I see is "Porsche Charging Service USD 0.00 per month".

So if you use the Porsche Connect App and go over 30 minutes, how do you pay for the overage?

I am hoping this will all seem like old hat once I get the hang of this . . . .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you are on facebook .. consider joining, as i did, the Porsche Taycan group .. you probably will get more, perhaps even better and faster, answers to your questions.
Good advice but I may be one of the last holdouts without a Facebook account . . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks all for your input and helpful advice. I tried the Charging NA App at EV America this afternoon. It looks like it should work and takes you all the way through a start charging icon for the particular EV charger you are using - but then nothing happens. Called EV America and they were great - started a free charging session and indicated I should talk to Porsche NA tomorrow.

I downloaded the Porsche Connect App and will try that next time. One question on that App is that I can't seem to find where to add any credit card info. I would think that would be necessary if I were to exceed 30 minutes of the free EA charge time. Under "Fees and Subscriptions" all I see is "Porsche Charging Service USD 0.00 per month".

So if you use the Porsche Connect App and go over 30 minutes, how do you pay for the overage?

I am hoping this will all seem like old hat once I get the hang of this . . . .
You are correct, you have to setup a username,password and a credit card before getting a free charge

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are correct, you have to setup a username,password and a credit card before getting a free charge
Thanks. Where do you enter that information in the Porsche Car Connect App? I have the app set up but can't seem to figure out that last part. Sorry . . .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just following up on the question about accessing the EV America 30 minute free charge. Those who have used it - I understand it is coming through the Porsche Connect App. But how/where do you enter credit card info? Do you need the EA America app set up and then the Porsche App interacts with that?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just following up on the question about accessing the EV America 30 minute free charge. Those who have used it - I understand it is coming through the Porsche Connect App. But how/where do you enter credit card info? Do you need the EA America app set up and then the Porsche App interacts with that?
my understanding: Taycan charging needs for the 3yrs/30min free session are done via the Charging NA App linked to your My Porsche Acct online with payment option. Just sign up on Porsche Website for your My Porsche Acct

1 - 20 of 27 Posts