Taycan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is my range after driving in Normal mode. View attachment 2608 View attachment 2608
This is my range after driving in Normal mode. View attachment 2608 View attachment 2608
I have a Turbo S and if I were to look at this identical display after charging at 85% it would read 202. There is clearly a difference in range between these models. Given the choice I would opt for the Turbo S again for a sense of how it drives and a sense of how I feel having it, but you are clearly better off when we are all able to take driving trips again.

Good luck with a great automobile.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Turbo S and if I were to look at this identical display after charging at 85% it would read 202. There is clearly a difference in range between these models. Given the choice I would opt for the Turbo S again for a sense of how it drives and a sense of how I feel having it, but you are clearly better off when we are all able to take driving trips again.

Good luck with a great automobile.
We also have aTurbo S and see the same 202 readout after an 85% charge. The mileage benefit of the 4S is real and I think it would come in handy on a driving trip, but I think choosing the Turbo S is more about wanting to have the best Porsche can produce. I remember having 911 Carreras and wondering what it would be like to own a Turbo S 911. We eventually stepped up and the sense of power and performance beyond compare is a very satisfying experience. The Turbo S rules, and at some point on one's life it's good to be king.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Is this usually the range that you've been getting @vaf222? Or does it change?
Hi James8955, It changes based on conditions and the way you drove the previous time. It uses that information to calculate the range for the next drive. If the conditions are the same and use use the same drive mode it will be the same. But, if the weather is colder the next time you drive, you will loose 5-15% of mileage depending how cold it is. I lost 15% of my range on a drive at 40 degrees F, compared to the same drive at 75F.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We also have aTurbo S and see the same 202 readout after an 85% charge. The mileage benefit of the 4S is real and I think it would come in handy on a driving trip, but I think choosing the Turbo S is more about wanting to have the best Porsche can produce. I remember having 911 Carreras and wondering what it would be like to own a Turbo S 911. We eventually stepped up and the sense of power and performance beyond compare is a very satisfying experience. The Turbo S rules, and at some point on one's life it's good to be king.
GT3's are like a completely different machine. I hope the Taycan get some equivalent.
Do you think that would be a good move with all the Turbo S already does?
I know Porsche wants to chase after Tesla a bit but keeping the Taycan as a well sorted car is also important.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have driven my 2013 Tesla Model S (RWD) daily for 80,000 miles and have now driven my 4S with the big battery for a couple of months. There are some clear differences and similarities. The striking difference to me was the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal in the Tesla compared to the Taycan. I drive the Taycan in Normal mode mostly as others will. You get an immediate acceleration in the Tesla in the first 1/4 movement of the pedal. To get the same immediate torque acceleration in the Taycan, I need to go to 1/2 the pedal distance or more. So when moving from the Tesla to the Taycan, the Taycan seems disappointing. But those who do not have the Tesla experience will not have this feeling of disappointment, but it annoys me every time. I think this could be fixed in the Taycan with a software update. The closest I can get to the Tesla's immediate response is when I dial-in Sports or Sports+ mode, but it is still not the same, and I (and others) don't drive in that mode most of the time.

Other than that, I love the Taycan. It handles and feels like a Porsche. I do not like the way the Tesla handles at high speeds, it floats, while the Taycan is planted.

As far as range is concerned, my 2013 Tesla has a range of 256 miles at 100% charge; the new Tesla's are well above that. In my hands, the Taycan in Normal mode and 100% charge has a 300 mile range, and at 85% charge it is 281 miles which I am very happy about and unexpected because EPA estimated range on the Taycan was 200 miles.

I will come back with more thoughts when I drive the Taycan for more miles.
As the originator of this very interesting thread, I must add that my 2013 Model S P85 (the supercar of its day) is now my "sedan", which I use when I need a sedan to go from point A to B with my wife, but the Taycan is my performance car, to drive when I want to have fun driving. Previously, I did not look at the Tesla this way because I did not have a comparator, but with Taycan as the comparator, it is clear that the Tesla Model S is a fast "sedan", while the Taycan is a fast "performance sedan+". I added the "+" because when you are in the Taycan, you know that you are in something special, I just don't get that feeling in the Tesla.
Can someone please comment on the actual miles you get with the Taycan? I’ve had mine a few weeks and the most I’ve seen on 100% charge is like 210 miles on the screen. With the cold weather most I’ve seen is like 180ish on 100% charge. So is the 300 mile people see just real time or do they see that number on the screen when charged 100%? I love the car but hate the distance it feels very inferior to Tesla that way. Please help!?!

·
Registered
2020 Taycan Turbo - Gentian Blue
53 Posts
Can someone please comment on the actual miles you get with the Taycan? I’ve had mine a few weeks and the most I’ve seen on 100% charge is like 210 miles on the screen. With the cold weather most I’ve seen is like 180ish on 100% charge. So is the 300 mile people see just real time or do they see that number on the screen when charged 100%? I love the car but hate the distance it feels very inferior to Tesla that way. Please help!?!
The screen is going to be based on the current averages the computer has on hand. When I took my Turbo on a road trip I was pushing 275 miles and likely could have gone further but didn't need to as I was routed according to my charging plan for destination arrival. I was also driving 80+ but I did use Range mode a fair amount as I was learning how it all worked. Range is pretty darn healthy for a 'sports car' and if you compare to long range EV's using A Better Route Planner you'll find it's often out-performing them on total trip time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I routinely get 280 miles around town and on the road in the summer. Winter is currently 269 in my 4S. I normally warm the car up with a quick run in sport followed by cruise in range.

Chuck J

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m in Missouri and obviously pretty cold since I got it, been a few warmer days but I’ve not seen ranges displayed higher than 210ish and once getting started it drops to 180s after few miles. I’m wondering if something is wrong with the battery to begin with?!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’m in Missouri and obviously pretty cold since I got it, been a few warmer days but I’ve not seen ranges displayed higher than 210ish and once getting started it drops to 180s after few miles. I’m wondering if something is wrong with the battery to begin with?!
I doubt it. That's about what I see too. Winter is a wild card b/c it depends on how much heating you're doing (seats, cabin, etc) but irrespective of that, if you've not gotten any longer runs which are more efficient the screen is going to show the baseline which is what you're seeing. After I did a road trip in the summer (where I was seeing 275 in real miles) the screen took a while to come back down with around town driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 4s not a turbo not sure there should be that much of a difference...how about super charging? I’ve done it a few times and I have not seen 85% charge in 15 min or even close to that utilizing the 350 charger. The dealership seems to have very little knowledge of Taycan in general. They mentioned need to be primed??? You experience this??
Curtis R

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 4s not a turbo not sure there should be that much of a difference...how about super charging? I’ve done it a few times and I have not seen 85% charge in 15 min or even close to that utilizing the 350 charger. The dealership seems to have very little knowledge of Taycan in general. They mentioned need to be primed??? You experience this??
Curtis R
You probably will get better range than I get as I thought the 4S weren't quite as thirsty as Turbo and Turbo S.

High speed or L3 charging (Supercharging is a Tesla proprietary term - just an FYI for if you find someone pedantic about such things) has a lot of variables. Batteries do not charge at full speed 100% of the time. They have a curve which is based largely on battery temperature and state of charge... ie, how hot/cold are the cells and how much juice is in them already. So the 85% in 15 minutes or whatever the marketing literature sys is based on ideal temperature and plugging in at like 5%. Even then you'll see the charge speed taper... if you hit that 270kW or whatever the peak is it'll be there for a while and then start to draw down. The last 15% of charge (85 to 100) may take longer than it took you to go from 5% to 85% as an example. They kind of sneak up on it. That's why with trip planning you may see that the car wants you to charge to 80% instead of 100% but stop twice... becuase it's faster than actually charging to 100%. Hope that helps explain a bit.

Yes, dealerships are behind. I've had EV's for a couple of years so I've helped the dealership a bit understanding nuances (both the Audi and Porsche folks).

·
Registered
8 Posts
You probably will get better range than I get as I thought the 4S weren't quite as thirsty as Turbo and Turbo S.

High speed or L3 charging (Supercharging is a Tesla proprietary term - just an FYI for if you find someone pedantic about such things) has a lot of variables. Batteries do not charge at full speed 100% of the time. They have a curve which is based largely on battery temperature and state of charge... ie, how hot/cold are the cells and how much juice is in them already. So the 85% in 15 minutes or whatever the marketing literature sys is based on ideal temperature and plugging in at like 5%. Even then you'll see the charge speed taper... if you hit that 270kW or whatever the peak is it'll be there for a while and then start to draw down. The last 15% of charge (85 to 100) may take longer than it took you to go from 5% to 85% as an example. They kind of sneak up on it. That's why with trip planning you may see that the car wants you to charge to 80% instead of 100% but stop twice... becuase it's faster than actually charging to 100%. Hope that helps explain a bit.

Yes, dealerships are behind. I've had EV's for a couple of years so I've helped the dealership a bit understanding nuances (both the Audi and Porsche folks).
I just found that with Tesla I had 2014 S like 6 years ago and the “super charging” was easy. Didn’t have to”prime” the battery or whatever. When I’ve done the fast charge on the 350kw I was driving for at least 45min-hr before charging and it was just taking forever not even close to the marketing terms they use. I just thought charging has come such a long way since I owned my Tesla that it would be seamless and it’s very shy of that as far as I can tell. The 4s I bought was actually used with 6K miles but it was exactly what I was looking for color options bigger battery etc and a great price compared to others on the lot so that’s why I opted for this one but can’t help but wonder if there’s something not kosher with the battery or it’s charging capabilities...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just found that with Tesla I had 2014 S like 6 years ago and the “super charging” was easy. Didn’t have to”prime” the battery or whatever. When I’ve done the fast charge on the 350kw I was driving for at least 45min-hr before charging and it was just taking forever not even close to the marketing terms they use. I just thought charging has come such a long way since I owned my Tesla that it would be seamless and it’s very shy of that as far as I can tell. The 4s I bought was actually used with 6K miles but it was exactly what I was looking for color options bigger battery etc and a great price compared to others on the lot so that’s why I opted for this one but can’t help but wonder if there’s something not kosher with the battery or it’s charging capabilities...
Hard to know for sure as it's difficult to understand personal experiences. I have a tesla as well and our super charging experience is the same as our electrify america fast charging experience other than I have to trigger the EA with my phone first as they don't yet have "plug N Charge" running. The Taycan charges faster than our tesla but our tesla is a 2018 variant and not the newer battery tech I'm sure but Taycan has architectural differences that should keep it charging faster than a Tesla. Not to stop the obvious but make sure you are plugging in to a 350kW plug on the EA station b/c they have different speeds. But if you drop down to the low range of battery in the like 10% range and aren't seeing any speed on charging and are plugged into a tap that's got the juice, I'd for sure be raising the question with the dealership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lol definitely hooked up to 350 each time...Definitely am and I’ve escalated with Porsche USA as well. I feel like I’ve got a lemon on the charging thing. It was used 6K miles so was just wondering if there was a reason this car got traded in. They say the guy wanted a turbo after getting it...your saying hooking up to 350 on your Taycan will charge in 15 min to 85% if you have at least 10% remaining?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lol definitely hooked up to 350 each time...Definitely am and I’ve escalated with Porsche USA as well. I feel like I’ve got a lemon on the charging thing. It was used 6K miles so was just wondering if there was a reason this car got traded in. They say the guy wanted a turbo after getting it...your saying hooking up to 350 on your Taycan will charge in 15 min to 85% if you have at least 10% remaining?
I haven't run mine down that low. I have been in the 20's I believe and I was pushing a lot of power there for the first handful of minutes. I watch to see it get going then I usually go in wherever I'm at and stretch my legs so I don't watch the curve. But, as it gets more charged it slows down. I'm just letting you know that the cars current 'state of charge' or SOC is a key factor in how fast the charging starts. This is across all EV's not just Taycan's. If you pull in and are at 50% then you're not going to see anywhere near 270kW. You're going to charge faster the more depleted the battery is. Now I've read that Taycan's charging system tends to hold higher rates longer but I haven't graphed or even paid close enough attention to it. I have done nearly the same 900 mile trip between tesla and porsche and the porsche charging was much faster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm, each time I’ve charged I’ve been the only one at the station. 1 time showed me like 15% left when I started 350 and the others I was at least 30%.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmm, each time I’ve charged I’ve been the only one at the station. 1 time showed me like 15% left when I started 350 and the others I was at least 30%.
I'm not talking about other cars at the station. I know with Tesla's superchargers they are setup in A and B units and you share power between them but I don't know if EA stations do that or not. I charge at home so I've only used EA on roadtrip or when I've just had some fun around town and wanted to use the free charging. If you were at 15% and the battery wasn't ice cold I'd have expected you'd see a pretty healthy charging speed. Taycan's top out at 270kW if you've got the upgraded DC charging option. Which raises a question... does yours have the DC charging option? If not, it's limited to 50kW I think.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts