Taycan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drove it home from the dealer in Marin county yesterday afternoon. Spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out how to raise the chassis so that there was enough clearance to get over the apron into the garage without badly scraping in the bottom. (Had no clearance problem with 2017 Macan Turbo that previously parked in garage.)

There is one item that I could find in the owners manual that refers to the chassis, but no further information is given. Had to call the dealer, who also had no idea. Finally figured out the button on the dash raises the chassis an inch or two, and was able to get into the garage.

Next, discovered that the cable supplied with the car was the wrong one for 240 V newly-installed 50 amp charging dock unit. The cable in the bag was a Nema 6- 30, instead of a Nema 14-50. Salesman at the dealer will have a replacement cable for me today.

Plugged the charging unit into a 110 V outlet. After 14 hours of charging, the battery went from 35% to 45% charged. Salesman at dealership says this is normal. I am hoping once I get the 240 V charger up and running with the proper cable, that I will be able to fully charge the car overnight, i.e., about 10 to 12 hours.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Drove it home from the dealer in Marin county yesterday afternoon. Spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out how to raise the chassis so that there was enough clearance to get over the apron into the garage without badly scraping in the bottom. (Had no clearance problem with 2017 Macan Turbo that previously parked in garage.)

There is one item that I could find in the owners manual that refers to the chassis, but no further information is given. Had to call the dealer, who also had no idea. Finally figured out the button on the dash raises the chassis an inch or two, and was able to get into the garage.

Next, discovered that the cable supplied with the car was the wrong one for 240 V newly-installed 50 amp charging dock unit. The cable in the bag was a Nema 6- 30, instead of a Nema 14-50. Salesman at the dealer will have a replacement cable for me today.

Plugged the charging unit into a 110 V outlet. After 14 hours of charging, the battery went from 35% to 45% charged. Salesman at dealership says this is normal. I am hoping once I get the 240 V charger up and running with the proper cable, that I will be able to fully charge the car overnight, i.e., about 10 to 12 hours.
Glad to hear everything got sorted out. I assume you didn't have to pay for the new cable? How was the drive from the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts

Congrats on the Taycan and welcome to the forum!

And yes, once you get the 240V charger up and running it will take about 10-12 hours for a full charge. It's a necessity IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So

And yes, once you get the 240V charger up and running it will take about 10-12 hours for a full charge. It's a necessity IMO.
So,

I got the proper plug from the dealer at no cost, and indeed the car was fully charged after about 10 hours on the 40 amp / 240 volt plug / charging dock.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Get ready, this is only the start of your unfortunate problems. I have owned my car for 3 months now and the connect app. for your phone basically does not work. I have called Porsche about 10 times, they are not much help. I have to delete the app. about two times a week and reinstall. I have finally given up, it does not work. Sad, great car, but if they can't get the app to work I don't think people will continue to buy the car. Basically all you can do it plug it in, the rest of the stuff does not work. I ask yesterday how to lock and unlock the car from the app. They told me that was not available. Pretty basic but they can't do it.

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
So

So,

I got the proper plug from the dealer at no cost, and indeed the car was fully charged after about 10 hours on the 40 amp / 240 volt plug / charging dock.
Glad to hear! I can't imaging needing 24 hours for a full charge.

How long does it take you to get up to 80%?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have already beaten my head against this wall enough trying to get Porsche Connect software to work, and I’m not going to waste any more time on it — it obviously just does not work.

But what I would like to know from this community is: what won’t I be able to do if this app does not work?

For example, I had hoped to be able to check the charge state remotely while the car is in my garage. But if I can’t do that, I can live with it.

Is it also true that I will not be able to use the Electrify America charging stations? Or will I be able to use them, but just not get the free electricity?

·
Registered
2020 Taycan 4S
4 Posts
Is it also true that I will not be able to use the Electrify America charging stations? Or will I be able to use them, but just not get the free electricity?
[/QUOTE]
You will still be able to get the EA free charging but you’ll need to install the Porsche Charge N.A. app to do so. It’s a pain but if you use the EA app it won’t recognize your free charging

·
Registered
2020 Taycan 4S
4 Posts
No, this app is the Porsche Charging App. If you type in Porsche charging in the App Store you’ll see it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, this app is the Porsche Charging App. If you type in Porsche charging in the App Store you’ll see it.
Many, many thanks. I have downloaded that app and will make a trip to an Electrify America station today to see if I can get the whole shebang to work

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drove to Electrify America station in Santa Rosa. The electricity pump did not work. I called the 800 number posted on the pump and switched to another pump, which did work although not nearly at 350 kW charging capacity.

In order to take advantage of the free electricity which I’m supposed to get with this new Taycan, I tried to use the Porsche connect app, which of course did not work.

In this case, I entered two different credit card numbers, both of which were rejected even though both are perfectly good cards.

Fortunately the woman who answered the 800 number for E.A. comped the charges. Nevertheless the Porsche connect app continues to disappoint and exasperate.

One question for this community: according to the manual it’s best not to charge the battery more than 85%. Is this really true and if so why?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 85% charge level is recommended by Porsche for daily charging. It helps reduce battery degradation over time. From the owner's manual:

Instructions for charging the high-voltage
battery
- Whenever possible, initiate the process of
charging the high-voltage battery via the Charging
Planner and use the Timer or Profile function
when charging with alternating current (AC).
- Use the Timer or Profile function to program a
maximum high-voltage battery charge of 85%
for daily use of the vehicle without any long-distance
driving.
- If required, a battery charge of 100% can be
programmed before starting long journeys.
- At ambient temperatures in excess of
86 °F (30 °C), connect the vehicle after use to
the power grid and charge the high-voltage battery
with alternating current (AC). Use the Timer
or Profile function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many thanks, that’s very helpful. Alas, since Porsche charge Connect doesn’t work I guess I’ll have to run down to the garage every few minutes to make sure it doesn’t go over 85%

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got my 4S, could be mistaken, but I think you can set the max charge to 85% in the car settings Itself so it will not be necessary to go check your garage to Make sure the Porsche charge connect doesn’t go over. My sales guy Helped me set it At the dealership and his information was that the car would control the stopping point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just got my 4S, could be mistaken, but I think you can set the max charge to 85% in the car settings Itself so it will not be necessary to go check your garage to Make sure the Porsche charge connect doesn’t go over. My sales guy Helped me set it At the dealership and his information was that the car would control the stopping point.
Thanks — that makes sense. I will research how to set that up. According to the manual, it suggests that it’s OK to fully charge to 100% if you’re going on a trip. It’s only for every day use if they recommend not exceeding 85%.

This suggests there will be some battery degradation if one regularly discharges it in the 100 to 75% range, roughly speaking.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is how I set up the charging for 85% at home:

-Select Charging
-Select Overview
-Select Profiles
-In the General Charging Profile click on the pencil Icon ( to edit profile )
-Use the slider to select 85% ( it is sensitive )
-Select Optimized Charging button
-Select General Charging Profile by touching General Charging Profile and check the box

The car will now charge to 85% when you plug in the home charger to the car

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This is how I set up the charging for 85% at home:

-Select Charging
-Select Overview
-Select Profiles
-In the General Charging Profile click on the pencil Icon ( to edit profile )
-Use the slider to select 85% ( it is sensitive )
-Select Optimized Charging button
-Select General Charging Profile by touching General Charging Profile and check the box

The car will now charge to 85% when you plug in the home charger to the car
Aren’t those steps you take on the Porsche Connect app? If so, I cannot do them b/c the app does not work

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have already beaten my head against this wall enough trying to get Porsche Connect software to work, and I’m not going to waste any more time on it — it obviously just does not work.

But what I would like to know from this community is: what won’t I be able to do if this app does not work?

For example, I had hoped to be able to check the charge state remotely while the car is in my garage. But if I can’t do that, I can live with it.

You will not be able to cool or heat your car before you arrive/depart. My email does not work, basically the connect app is useless. I'm taking my car back to the dealer again today, if they look at it often enough maybe someone from Porsche will pay attention. I spoke to the toll free help line last week and the lady basically said, "Yes we are having trouble with that app." She did not know any answers.
I think I/we might as well forget the app. The car operates like any other electric car, just make sure you have juice and go. Very disappointed in Porsche. I have a Tesla, it works fine with frequent updates. Porsche needs to get some lessons from Tesla.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts