Porsche Taycan EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesla has not set an official Model S Nurburgring time and that's about to change, according to Elon Musk.

As it stands the Taycan holds a lap time of 7:42, making it the “fastest four-door, all-electric sports cars.” If the Model S can beat that, it will be big news and the potential is very real. How real? Well, the Model S Performance goes 0.2 seconds faster from 0-60 and weighs 300 lbs less than the Taycan, two key performance metrics that could give it the advantage needed.

Even if the Model S Performance Nurburgring Time is actually better than the Taycan, lets not forget, its NOT a car for real enthusiasts. The Taycan is.

But maybe that will be the next step for Tesla? The new Roadster could kick that off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This could be a critical nail in the coffin if in fact the Model S does beat the Taycan's time. I question though why you made this statement,
"Even if the Model S Performance Nurburgring Time is actually better than the Taycan, lets not forget, its NOT a car for real enthusiasts. The Taycan is."

From what I've read, there seems to be only 1 remaining objective metric that the Taycan can hold over the head of the Model S and that is trackability. What would make the Taycan a car for real enthusiasts over the Model S if in fact the Model S exceeds the Taycan in all measurable performance categories?

I would be curious too as to how many deposit holders would cancel if in fact the Model S proves the be the better track car as well as overall performance champ. It seems to be a small concession to hold on to, aesthetics (subjective) and fit and finish to justify the $100k difference. Not trying to stir up trouble, just mystified as to what really is the Porsche allure if it's not now anchored to performance.

Regardless of how it all shakes out, I truly hope that the Taycan sells like hot cakes as I'm convinced that EV's are superior to ICEV's in every way and every Taycan sold is one less ICEV.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This could be a critical nail in the coffin if in fact the Model S does beat the Taycan's time. I question though why you made this statement,
"Even if the Model S Performance Nurburgring Time is actually better than the Taycan, lets not forget, its NOT a car for real enthusiasts. The Taycan is."

From what I've read, there seems to be only 1 remaining objective metric that the Taycan can hold over the head of the Model S and that is trackability. What would make the Taycan a car for real enthusiasts over the Model S if in fact the Model S exceeds the Taycan in all measurable performance categories?

I would be curious too as to how many deposit holders would cancel if in fact the Model S proves the be the better track car as well as overall performance champ. It seems to be a small concession to hold on to, aesthetics (subjective) and fit and finish to justify the $100k difference. Not trying to stir up trouble, just mystified as to what really is the Porsche allure if it's not now anchored to performance.

Regardless of how it all shakes out, I truly hope that the Taycan sells like hot cakes as I'm convinced that EV's are superior to ICEV's in every way and every Taycan sold is one less ICEV.
Simply because of how 911-like the Taycan is said to be which means a lot.

Of course, driving both is what it will come down to. What i'm looking at are what both brands are capable of and Porsche has significantly more resources to produce the most enthusiast-friendly and driver focused electric sedan.

The Taycan's trackability also plays into streetability with all the situations a well sorted car reveals itself, although in subtle ways, which i'm expecting to be the case here, even being 300 lbs heavier (which is said to be mitigated very well)

To me (and many others)...

Model S = Muscle Car
Taycan = Sports Car

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here's some more information about the Model S that's going to take on the Nurburgring.

It's a Model S Plaid powertrain and chassis prototype that completed Laguna Seca in 1:36.555

It's been spotted with some additional mods.
...the Model S Tesla is prepping for the record attempt does not appear to be stock. We can see wider fender flares, aggressive wheels and tires, and a trunk lip spoiler. From what we heard the tires where Michelin Cup 2 R for that extra grip and we also spotted a roll cage inside the car."

It will somehow seat 7 people.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So apparently Tesla's Laguna Seca time might not be official yet. Wow.

According to CNBC, a track official emailed them and told them "We were not officiating while the Tesla was testing on the track. Official records only happen during sanctioned events where a sanctioning body is officiating.”

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Smitty11
Porsche Taycan EV Forum
We’re the largest Porsche Taycan EV community and owner's club - join the conversation about the new Porsche electric supercar.
Full Forum Listing