Porsche Taycan EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot on level 1, 2 and 3 chargers and will eventually install a level 2 in my garage. What I do not understand is the reason to install the 220v system in either 32amp. or 40amp. set up. What does the 8 amp difference between the two actually accomplish? Thanks....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

This might be late but I think the 32 amp refers to 80% of the 40 amp available. From what little I understand, you can use only 80% load on a continuous basis.

I own a LEAF and the on-board charger maxes out at 32 amp service. We could go higher to future-proof the EVSE but the vehicle won’t charge any faster. If you don’t already have the charger, consider hanging on until the Taycan details are out so you can make a final decision.

I was looking at the Clipper Creek site and saw a useful comparison of charge times given on-board charger, battery size and amps of service. You can see it here.

Edit: Just re-read your question and I think I misunderstood. Apologies! Ignore the 80% stuff. The chart will be helpful in showing the difference in charging times given the options you are looking at. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just confused as to why some brands of level 2 charging stations were connected to a 30a breaker and others to a 50a breaker. Thanks for the reply and link! Lots to learn on the subject.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't get hung up on Level 2, Level 3 etc, doesn't mean much. Level 2 just means it changes using 240V, doesn't say anything about the amps etc. That's why some chargers are 12amp, others are 30, 40 etc. But that's not the whole story, your EV has to support the amps you are trying to charge it at, the amps is ultimately determined by the EV. So definitely hold off on buying any charger or doing any electrical work in your garage, until the real specs come out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Don't get hung up on Level 2, Level 3 etc, doesn't mean much. Level 2 just means it changes using 240V, doesn't say anything about the amps etc. That's why some chargers are 12amp, others are 30, 40 etc. But that's not the whole story, your EV has to support the amps you are trying to charge it at, the amps is ultimately determined by the EV. So definitely hold off on buying any charger or doing any electrical work in your garage, until the real specs come out.
I came to a similar conclusion. Also we're a few weeks away from learning every little detail/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts