Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else feel like they're getting the runaround from their local dealer? I put down a deposit in September 2017 and was told I was number 27 at my Bay Area dealer. After the pricing/options/configuration became available, I was encouraged to submit mine as soon as possible. When I went for a test drive in December, I asked my contact whether some folks had been put off by the higher-than-expected price, and he confirmed that was the case - so that I would move higher up the list as people declined to submit configurations, etc... Pinged him in February, was told to expect June. Recently got an email asking me to confirm my configuration as the next allocation is coming in October and I'm on the list for that one.

I am an owner of one of the first 2,000 production version Tesla Model S cars on the road. That process was super-transparent. A single list with the manufacturer so I knew exactly where I stood, plenty of clear communication about timing, etc...

Is my experience unique? Either Porsche is experiencing significant production delays or my dealer isn't honoring its "list" - perhaps taking care of regular customers instead?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anyone else feel like they're getting the runaround from their local dealer? I put down a deposit in September 2017 and was told I was number 27 at my Bay Area dealer. After the pricing/options/configuration became available, I was encouraged to submit mine as soon as possible. When I went for a test drive in December, I asked my contact whether some folks had been put off by the higher-than-expected price, and he confirmed that was the case - so that I would move higher up the list as people declined to submit configurations, etc... Pinged him in February, was told to expect June. Recently got an email asking me to confirm my configuration as the next allocation is coming in October and I'm on the list for that one.

I am an owner of one of the first 2,000 production version Tesla Model S cars on the road. That process was super-transparent. A single list with the manufacturer so I knew exactly where I stood, plenty of clear communication about timing, etc...

Is my experience unique? Either Porsche is experiencing significant production delays or my dealer isn't honoring its "list" - perhaps taking care of regular customers instead?

My experience is as follows: been on my dealership waitlist since MissionE and CrossTurismo unveil, plucked down a deposit for both while in concept stage. Last month made a full deposit for a Taycan Turbo, the last available allocation my dealer received for 2019. All 2019 dealer allocations will be delivered in April/June timeframe. Sofar NONE with the expection of 1 wealthy customer, have taken delivery of their Taycans yet. Test drove the Taycan Turbo 3 times sofar in Jan/Feb. Feb made full deposit for Taycan Turbo with a 29th May delivery date. I am opting for PEC delivery and my delivery date got bumped by 7 days into June. If anything, based on my dealer experience, I would say your dealer isn't honoring your waitlist status or you are arent high enough on the waitlist, like I was from the beginning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am the current owner of a 2013 Tesla Model S and when it was purchased the transaction was flawless but the delivery wasn't quite as transparent as your experience. However, your delivery was also at a time, where Tesla would have done just about anything to deliver a car.

When the Mission E was announced, I decided to drive my S until the Mission E was available. I went into my local Porsche dealership and gave them a $1,000 deposit. At the time, there wasn't a wait list or formal deposit procedure in place. I was notified by my dealer in early September 2019 that I should come to the dealership and order my car. I decided on a Taycan Turbo and ordered my car, with options, in mid-September. I was informed that my order would be submitted and that I would be notified of when my build was complete. The dealership notified me that my car was finished at the end of January 2020 and that it would be shipped on February 24. The car is currently scheduled to be delivered to me between March 21 and March 28. The timing from shipment to delivery in Southern California is about the same as when I ordered my 2016 GT4.

It may be the person at the dealership or the dealership itself that is "moving the ball" on you in terms of a delivery date. I can only speak to my experience with my local dealer here and the process has been very transparent and that every step of the way, I have been informed and kept up to date.

Good luck to you in securing an order/delivery date.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A single list with the manufacturer so I knew exactly where I stood, plenty of clear communication about timing, etc...
Telsa told you exactly what number you were and exactly when your car would be delivered?

it seems Porsche gave you an estimate of delivery, what more did you expect to get?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Telsa told you exactly what number you were and exactly when your car would be delivered?

it seems Porsche gave you an estimate of delivery, what more did you expect to get?

I am sorry but this a pure snark reply on your end. This has not been the case with my Porsche dealership or my current buying experience of my Taycan Turbo:

Dealer has been very upfront with me on the following:

Allocation availability
Lock-in date
Factory confirmation
Factory build completion date
Delivery date

I know exactly where, what, how and when my Turbo is.. and all it takes is for me, if i have any additional questions, to pick up the phone and talk to my rep or shoot over an email and get a reply back.. something Tesla seems to be lacking .. customer service

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Tesla doesn't use a franchise/dealer model, so they had a single list U.S. list and told me exactly what number I was on the list. They definitely had production delays as they rolled things out, but I had 100% confidence (including from message boards like this one) that they were taking configurations and delivering vehicles straight down the list. Here, I'm having trouble getting a straight answer from my dealer about where I am on our local list, much less my nationwide position. Sounds like my experience has been different than others, though...

·
Registered
11 Posts
First you said: "I was number 27 at my Bay Area dealer. "
Then you said: "I'm having trouble getting a straight answer from my dealer about where I am on our local list"

Seems you are number at most 27 on the list and maybe lower if a couple people ahead of you may have dropped out.

Have you asked your dealer for an updated number? My bay area dealer gave me the exact number I am as well as how many 4Ss are ahead of me. What they could not give me is how many allocations they will get over time and when, since they don't know.

"much less my nationwide position."
Of course they can't give you that, since they don't know how cars will be allocated to which dealers on which timeframe. I don't know why you would expect them to know that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am sorry but this a pure snark reply on your end. This has not been the case with my Porsche dealership or my current buying experience of my Taycan Turbo:

Dealer has been very upfront with me on the following:

Allocation availability
Lock-in date
Factory confirmation
Factory build completion date
Delivery date

I know exactly where, what, how and when my Turbo is.. and all it takes is for me, if i have any additional questions, to pick up the phone and talk to my rep or shoot over an email and get a reply back.. something Tesla seems to be lacking .. customer service
I agree with you. When I said "estimate of delivery", I should have said the "schedule for delivery" which includes the steps that you mentioned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First you said: "I was number 27 at my Bay Area dealer. "
Then you said: "I'm having trouble getting a straight answer from my dealer about where I am on our local list"

Seems you are number at most 27 on the list and maybe lower if a couple people ahead of you may have dropped out.

Have you asked your dealer for an updated number? My bay area dealer gave me the exact number I am as well as how many 4Ss are ahead of me. What they could not give me is how many allocations they will get over time and when, since they don't know.

"much less my nationwide position."
Of course they can't give you that, since they don't know how cars will be allocated to which dealers on which timeframe. I don't know why you would expect them to know that.
Bob, you've got to relax. I was just looking to compare my experience to that of others. I guess I didn't provide all of the details, but didn't think they were that relevant. I was told I was #27 originally. Then when I went in for my test drive I was told I moved up to #7 because people had not provided configurations. Then he told me that I was actually #7 on his personal list, but #29 at the dealership (which wouldn't make any sense). So yeah, I haven't gotten a straight answer.

As far as a nationwide position, "of course" I was just providing a contrast to the Tesla experience, which I acknowledged uses a different model. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was just looking to compare my experience to that of others. ....

Then he told me that I was actually #7 on his personal list, but #29 at the dealership (which wouldn't make any sense). So yeah, I haven't gotten a straight answer.
I don't know why you compare your experience with Tesla since they are different models and your experience is not universal. I had a reservation for both an X and a 3 and I was never told where I am on the list despite asking and Tesla having a nationwide view of all reservations. And when the cars started rolling out, it still was not clear where I was on the list and timing since people with more premium preferences who reserved after I did seemed to jump in line.

As far as your dealership, it makes sense that he personally has 6 customers before you who placed reservations, while the dealership had 28 people who reserved before you - they probably have more than one person who takes orders. If you don't understand why that would make sense, then maybe you should be more careful in the questions you ask and asking followup questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know why you compare your experience with Tesla since they are different models and your experience is not universal. I had a reservation for both an X and a 3 and I was never told where I am on the list despite asking and Tesla having a nationwide view of all reservations. And when the cars started rolling out, it still was not clear where I was on the list and timing since people with more premium preferences who reserved after I did seemed to jump in line.

As far as your dealership, it makes sense that he personally has 6 customers before you who placed reservations, while the dealership had 28 people who reserved before you - they probably have more than one person who takes orders. If you don't understand why that would make sense, then maybe you should be more careful in the questions you ask and asking followup questions.
I understand the difference between the guy's personal list and the dealership's. What I was saying is that it doesn't make sense that I moved backwards from 27 to 29. I appreciate that your experience with Tesla was different than mine, just like I am discovering that other people on this board have had different experiences with their Porsche dealerships. That's all I came on here to find out. I got some useful responses and have had a constructive, ongoing dialogue with the dealership. Our back-and-forth, however, has not been terribly productive, and you seem dead set on snark and personal attacks. So I think we should move on. Thank you for your input, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Jeremy, back in 2014 and 2015, purchasers of the 918 Spyders were given preference to purchase future models. When the 2016 GT3, GT3RS and GT4 allocations were given to the dealers, 918 owners were given an opportunity to move to the front of the line. I have no idea if this is still the case, however, it could explain your move from 27th to 29th. As I previously mentioned, I own a 2013 Model S and had a different experience than you with my Tesla delivery. I can only assure you, based on my S ownership, that your future service visits with Porsche will be exceptional when compared to Tesla. Perhaps my poor Tesla service experience has to do with living in Orange County and having to go to the busiest service center Tesla operates. My dealings with Porsche service have been nothing less than outstanding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are worrying about something that is out of your control and the dealers. This is all based on allocations, if they get 6 4S and you want a turbo then the next 6 guys that want 4S get the allocation. I was near first on the list at my dealer, they got 4S allocation first so guys behind me got to order first. My dealer has only gotten 1 turbo allocation. You can be sure the dealer wants to sell you a car probably more than you want it. What I don't understand is if they have 30,000 orders for cars the dealers seem to be telling most customers they can get a car in 3-6 months. They can't make 30,000 in 3-6 months. Dealers probably just don't want to loose the customer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go ask your dealer for this when you order. He can give it to you weekly so you know what's going on.
V200Delivery date determined
V250Vehicle fixed02/14/202002/14/2020
V260Vehicle entry to body shop (CP 0.0)02/21/202002/21/2020
V270Vehicle exit production (CP 7.8)03/06/202003/13/2020
V300Vehicle completion (CP 8.0)03/06/202003/13/2020 Production completion
V331Entry port Emden03/13/202003/20/2020
V332Exit port Emden03/27/202004/03/2020 Ships from Germany
U002Entry port Houston04/24/202004/24/2020Arrival Houston

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are worrying about something that is out of your control and the dealers. This is all based on allocations, if they get 6 4S and you want a turbo then the next 6 guys that want 4S get the allocation. I was near first on the list at my dealer, they got 4S allocation first so guys behind me got to order first. My dealer has only gotten 1 turbo allocation. You can be sure the dealer wants to sell you a car probably more than you want it. What I don't understand is if they have 30,000 orders for cars the dealers seem to be telling most customers they can get a car in 3-6 months. They can't make 30,000 in 3-6 months. Dealers probably just don't want to loose the customer.
Thanks for this - sounds like that's exactly what's going on. I thought a lot of Turbo and Turbo S deliveries were going to be made before the 4S, but I suspect that the pricing caught people by surprise and demand spiked for the 4S so they shifted.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a white Turbo - 900 miles - you can buy if you want it. I got it in January bought it in Maryland . Bought it not even looking for one just got lucky. Amazing car. I have too many cars so I’ve decided not to keep it.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Porsche has been screwing the dealers, they won’t give them information and they aren’t opening up any build slots. Doesn’t look like many Turbo S cars will happen this year. S cars are gonna trickle in first and some Turbo’s. Only Launch Turbo S cars will be here in a bit.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts