Porsche Taycan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like more than a few forum members have either just taken delivery of their cars or are about to.

I'm curious if anyone would document their experience of taking delivery of a car during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Did you do home delivery or at the dealership? Did you spend time with a Porsche rep? Or did they just send you some info to read or a video to watch.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am pretty sure that social distancing will still be in full effect in June .. i will let you guys know how that shakes out upon my delivery experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just took delivery in california on April 15th. The “last ship” from Germany arrived in San Diego harbour on April 5-10. The factory in Stuttgart shut down in March and still remains closed to my knowledge even though some other Porsche factories have opened recently which were located in other cities both in eastern europe and other countries and cities which they have their other factories. I guess I was lucky as my Taycan was on the last ship to leave before the march shut down. Demand and sales are down 20% across the board so thats a very big number. But all that is upstream impact on the delivery experience. I will say with the dealerships being very empty one tends to get a bit more attention when your taking delivery but at the same time they could not guide you through the car introduction because they were not allowed in the passenger seat with you due to social distancing rules. Also reaching Porsche finance, the insurance company etc is unusually difficult because of their limited availability. Obviously I could not elect to take the Porsche experience center delivery in LA where they also give driving lessons witb your car on their track. You can’t even schedule a home charge station consultation and setup as they contracted that out to Amazon in the USA and that service is not launched again due to Covid related issues.

Most of this stuff I am tracking down myself including charge station setup but it’s definitely more work than usual. I have owned 6 Porsches in the last 8 years so there have been better deliveries in the past without question. However, I am just happy to have my new Taycan in my garage.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum @michael’s garage !

Thanks for sharing those pics and your story. Definitely sounds like an ordeal. I suppose if you weren't a happy long-time Porsche customer you might not be thrilled with this experience. Still, it's not like it would be different anywhere else.

Very curious to hear about the home charging solutions when you know more. So keep us posted.

How are you enjoying the drive so far?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi @michael’s garage! You really lucked out with your Taycan making it on the boat before the factory shut down. Fortunately the factory is going to reopen next week on May 4th!

What other cars do you have? is the Taycan going to be a daily driver?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So... I will try to answer as many questions posed in recent posts as possible.

1) The Taycan will be my daily driver. Mostly because the cost of “fuel / electricty” is next to nothing as I have Solar panels which produce in excess of my annual utility bills, and because Porsche gives us 3 years of free charging at electrify america stations. (my recent experience with fast charging was it was indeed really “fast”.
In addition, and surprisingly enough, whether I have the Taycan in Range, Normal, Sport or even Sport plus mode the ride is more stable and smoother than any other porsche I have driven. Maybe its the Weight??... The ride is unexpectedly smooth, and surprisingly supple. It is an almost “mercedes like ride” that is very comfortable thats makes choosing it as a daily driver choice a no brianer.

2) The other Porsches I have owned in the last 8 years are a follows 2 Cayennes, 2 Panameras, and 2 911s. The Taycan is better than all of them. Its much faster than my 911 and 911 4s, or my Panamera SE-hybrid and Panamera 4s, and of course faster than my Cayennes. My current “other car” is a 2019 Cayenne which is my wife uses as the soccer mom car, for groceries and when I need extra range for very long trips. However, with a little planning, range is NOT an issue with the Taycan. However, I live near LA, so there are already quite a few fast charge stations near by. Your own distance “mileage” may literally vary if you live in a State... like Montana that may not have as many fast charge stations available.

3) The car comes with the mobile charger, it is designed to use independent of a dock (though I have the 400 dollar Porsche docking unit which in my opinion was worth it) You could choose to take the mobile charger and cable with you when you drive from your home for AC charging in case if emergency, but I do NOT recommend this as its a big and heavy unit especialy with the 25 foot cable and it will take up precious trunk space, or could get damaged while lugging it around, taking it in and out of the car and perhaps losing it or forgetting it somewhere. In general the “mobile charger” is anything but “mobile”. Later in the year they will have a “smaller and lighter mobile charger” available and one could purchase that one in addition to the one that comes with the car.
Besides, the current charger runs at a max of 11KW... even if your drawing at the higher 40amps plus on a NEMA 16-50 outlet, its only suitable for home charging unless you fancy waiting 9 hours to charge the car from 0-80% while away from your home.
4) Build quality is excellent, S Class Mercedes level interior (I have owned 4 different S class and SL class Mercedes so I feel I can make this qualified opinion. It is certainly better than my 2017 Panamera 4s was which I just turn in when I picked up the Taycan, which was their latest body style.
5) Real world range... varies... depending on if I drive in Sport or Sport plus or normal - I never drive in “Range” mode.
In Sport mode with air-con running all the time, and driving semi-agressively, I get about 215 miles. In “Normal” driving mode and driving like a normal car and not like a race car, I have gotten as much as 225 with about 10 percent left in the battery which would place the range total at about 245-250. I would expect that in Range mode I would get 10 percent more than even that which would place the range at a out 275-280...however as mentioned before, I don’t EVER drive in range mode. haha

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
So... I will try to answer as many questions posed in recent posts as possible.

1) The Taycan will be my daily driver. Mostly because the cost of “fuel / electricty” is next to nothing as I have Solar panels which produce in excess of my annual utility bills, and because Porsche gives us 3 years of free charging at electrify america stations. (my recent experience with fast charging was it was indeed really “fast”.
In addition, and surprisingly enough, whether I have the Taycan in Range, Normal, Sport or even Sport plus mode the ride is more stable and smoother than any other porsche I have driven. Maybe its the Weight??... The ride is unexpectedly smooth, and surprisingly supple. It is an almost “mercedes like ride” that is very comfortable thats makes choosing it as a daily driver choice a no brianer.

2) The other Porsches I have owned in the last 8 years are a follows 2 Cayennes, 2 Panameras, and 2 911s. The Taycan is better than all of them. Its much faster than my 911 and 911 4s, or my Panamera SE-hybrid and Panamera 4s, and of course faster than my Cayennes. My current “other car” is a 2019 Cayenne which is my wife uses as the soccer mom car, for groceries and when I need extra range for very long trips. However, with a little planning, range is NOT an issue with the Taycan. However, I live near LA, so there are already quite a few fast charge stations near by. Your own distance “mileage” may literally vary if you live in a State... like Montana that may not have as many fast charge stations available.

3) The car comes with the mobile charger, it is designed to use independent of a dock (though I have the 400 dollar Porsche docking unit which in my opinion was worth it) You could choose to take the mobile charger and cable with you when you drive from your home for AC charging in case if emergency, but I do NOT recommend this as its a big and heavy unit especialy with the 25 foot cable and it will take up precious trunk space, or could get damaged while lugging it around, taking it in and out of the car and perhaps losing it or forgetting it somewhere. In general the “mobile charger” is anything but “mobile”. Later in the year they will have a “smaller and lighter mobile charger” available and one could purchase that one in addition to the one that comes with the car.
Besides, the current charger runs at a max of 11KW... even if your drawing at the higher 40amps plus on a NEMA 16-50 outlet, its only suitable for home charging unless you fancy waiting 9 hours to charge the car from 0-80% while away from your home.
4) Build quality is excellent, S Class Mercedes level interior (I have owned 4 different S class and SL class Mercedes so I feel I can make this qualified opinion. It is certainly better than my 2017 Panamera 4s was which I just turn in when I picked up the Taycan, which was their latest body style.
5) Real world range... varies... depending on if I drive in Sport or Sport plus or normal - I never drive in “Range” mode.
In Sport mode with air-con running all the time, and driving semi-agressively, I get about 215 miles. In “Normal” driving mode and driving like a normal car and not like a race car, I have gotten as much as 225 with about 10 percent left in the battery which would place the range total at about 245-250. I would expect that in Range mode I would get 10 percent more than even that which would place the range at a out 275-280...however as mentioned before, I don’t EVER drive in range mode. haha

hope that helps :)
Best I have seen is about 221 miles. Normal mode. I do a lot of highway driving and at speeds to about 90.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am happy so far. I've been charging to 85% and I am seeing about 190 mile range projection. Weather here is about 45 today. Drive in this morning and I had about 117 miles left in range and drive was 67 miles. So about 184 indicated on 85%. And I charge at my office so I will have 85% when I head home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best I have seen is about 221 miles. Normal mode. I do a lot of highway driving and at speeds to about 90.
Just a new thing to note about mileage calculations I have seen in this thread and several other threads that may be of interest to readers and sometimes in need of clarification.

1) I often hear that “ I was driving on the highway but I only got XXX miles” ...
Please note ** electric drivetrains are in “someways” the exact opposite of internal combustion engines when it comes to range efficiency. I.E. starting and stopping a lot at low speeds actually “Improves range” while in many cases driving fast on the highway will in many cases yield the “worst results”.
This is because the ERS (energy recovery system) picks up much more efficiency when traveling at slower speeds and driving with many frequent stops activating regenerative braking.

2) The frequency of regenerative braking is NOT the only way to increase range. While certainly being the primary modality of energy recovery, range achieved is also based on optimal miles traveled vs energy output used to travel that distance. To simplify this statement... other than city or local road driving with more frequent braking, highway driving should be between 60-70 mph for optimal efficiency for your electric drivetrain. Driving 90 mph will be “Non-optimal”. This is not to say driving 90 mph will yield terrible results, but it will not yield “optimal range results”. This is why if you place your Taycan in “Range Mode” it will try to cap your velocity to 70 mph. So for example, aside from using launch control, the Other fastest way to gobble up vast sums of energy extremely quickly and inefficiently from your car battery would be to drive at 120 mph plus for ANY extended period of time. I have done this... the achieved results range were terrible.
If I were to graph energy consumption efficiency as a function of velocity for ANY electric car, you would see an inverse declining curve from left to right if your X-Axis were labeled as Velocity and your Y-Axis were labeled as kilowatts consumed per mile traveled.

3) This next bullet point is just to summarize the above info with a little extra context. I actually don’t know what Porsche’s optimal energy efficiency speeds are... only Porsche would really know that. However their “range mode” speed cap would give you a good indicator as to speeds that they absolutely know and recommend NOT to exceed to achieve good range results.
So that would be “NO faster than 70 mph”. But in reality, that is the CAP and NOT the speed at which the most optimal range can be achieved. Most likely the most optimal speed at which max ranges would be achieved would be “less than 70 mph”.
Sorry if thats a bit depressing, but I can tell you its fairly the same for all electric vehicles from all manufacturers. At least for now. Secondly, please understand that traveling uphill vs downhill vs on a level road will yield vastly different results. The degree of incline or decline will also augment this difference further. Though is also true of a combustion engine it is even more so with an electric drive train. So traveling uphill will eat up your battery at alarming rates. However, in stark contrast (and I have tested this) when I drive daily on a nearly 8 mile stretch of road from my house on the foothills to the valley where the freeway ramps are to the I-10. Setting my car even at sport plus mode and turning off regenerative drive mode and coasting for 8 miles at 65-70 mph will literally ADD energy to my battery after 10 minutes plus of continuous driving.
Now the reasons for this should be obvious but I am just taking the opportunity to restate the “obvious” only because it provides overall context for the previous info provided in this post.

4) So to wrap up. I get routinely about 240 range with
a) combined city and high way driving.
b) driving normally and not aggressively.
c) highway driving in normal mode but not exceeding 75 mph on the highway
d) traveling on mixed inclining and declining roads where the total trips mostly average out to a level surface.
e) Total range calculations are made from a Full charge, to about 10 to 15 percent battery life remaining where the total range of the trip is calculated from total range traveled plus range left from unused battery calculated from the average Kilowatts efficiency for each individual trip.

Hope that is helpful.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That helps. I drive it like I want, I go 85-90 on highway, I floor it when I want, I take it easy when I want. Cars gonna get what it gets the way I drive it. So far seem about 219 as max range at 100% charge. I’m only charging to 85% and I’m seeing a predicted range if about 185-188 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just took delivery of a 4S in Omaha, Nebraska. I live in Scottsdale but the waiting list was too long here. On the drive back through Colorado, we did a total of 1900 miles, averaged about 250+ miles per charge (100%) at around 85 MPH The Electrify America charging stations seem to vary in speed even though we used the 350KW stations. Best was 250KW, and really slowed down past 85%, down to 30 KW range over 90%. I can get 300+ miles on a 100% charge in range mode, providing not too many mountain passes, but as the speed limits were 75 on many freeways, we spent most of our time in normal mode, hence the lower average of 250+. This is the delivery video the dealer did. The car is beautiful, we spent 3-4 hours at the dealer going through the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just took delivery in california on April 15th. The “last ship” from Germany arrived in San Diego harbour on April 5-10. The factory in Stuttgart shut down in March and still remains closed to my knowledge even though some other Porsche factories have opened recently which were located in other cities both in eastern europe and other countries and cities which they have their other factories. I guess I was lucky as my Taycan was on the last ship to leave before the march shut down. Demand and sales are down 20% across the board so thats a very big number. But all that is upstream impact on the delivery experience. I will say with the dealerships being very empty one tends to get a bit more attention when your taking delivery but at the same time they could not guide you through the car introduction because they were not allowed in the passenger seat with you due to social distancing rules. Also reaching Porsche finance, the insurance company etc is unusually difficult because of their limited availability. Obviously I could not elect to take the Porsche experience center delivery in LA where they also give driving lessons witb your car on their track. You can’t even schedule a home charge station consultation and setup as they contracted that out to Amazon in the USA and that service is not launched again due to Covid related issues.

Most of this stuff I am tracking down myself including charge station setup but it’s definitely more work than usual. I have owned 6 Porsches in the last 8 years so there have been better deliveries in the past without question. However, I am just happy to have my new Taycan in my garage.
Hah, I have an almost identical build, see my post earlier, obviously very good taste ;)

·
Super Moderator
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just took delivery of a 4S in Omaha, Nebraska. I live in Scottsdale but the waiting list was too long here. On the drive back through Colorado, we did a total of 1900 miles, averaged about 250+ miles per charge (100%) at around 85 MPH The Electrify America charging stations seem to vary in speed even though we used the 350KW stations. Best was 250KW, and really slowed down past 85%, down to 30 KW range over 90%. I can get 300+ miles on a 100% charge in range mode, providing not too many mountain passes, but as the speed limits were 75 on many freeways, we spent most of our time in normal mode, hence the lower average of 250+. This is the delivery video the dealer did. The car is beautiful, we spent 3-4 hours at the dealer going through the car.
Congratulations! And welcome to the forum.

I wonder how many of these dealerships in smaller cities have out-of-state clients... and depend on them.

300+ miles is impressive.

·
Super Moderator
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, it doesn't look like the video is working @Nigelu . Did you upload it or is it a YouTube link. (I just saw on Twitter than YT is down). 😰

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just a new thing to note about mileage calculations I have seen in this thread and several other threads that may be of interest to readers and sometimes in need of clarification.

1) I often hear that “ I was driving on the highway but I only got XXX miles” ...
Please note ** electric drivetrains are in “someways” the exact opposite of internal combustion engines when it comes to range efficiency. I.E. starting and stopping a lot at low speeds actually “Improves range” while in many cases driving fast on the highway will in many cases yield the “worst results”.
This is because the ERS (energy recovery system) picks up much more efficiency when traveling at slower speeds and driving with many frequent stops activating regenerative braking.

2) The frequency of regenerative braking is NOT the only way to increase range. While certainly being the primary modality of energy recovery, range achieved is also based on optimal miles traveled vs energy output used to travel that distance. To simplify this statement... other than city or local road driving with more frequent braking, highway driving should be between 60-70 mph for optimal efficiency for your electric drivetrain. Driving 90 mph will be “Non-optimal”. This is not to say driving 90 mph will yield terrible results, but it will not yield “optimal range results”. This is why if you place your Taycan in “Range Mode” it will try to cap your velocity to 70 mph. So for example, aside from using launch control, the Other fastest way to gobble up vast sums of energy extremely quickly and inefficiently from your car battery would be to drive at 120 mph plus for ANY extended period of time. I have done this... the achieved results range were terrible.
If I were to graph energy consumption efficiency as a function of velocity for ANY electric car, you would see an inverse declining curve from left to right if your X-Axis were labeled as Velocity and your Y-Axis were labeled as kilowatts consumed per mile traveled.

3) This next bullet point is just to summarize the above info with a little extra context. I actually don’t know what Porsche’s optimal energy efficiency speeds are... only Porsche would really know that. However their “range mode” speed cap would give you a good indicator as to speeds that they absolutely know and recommend NOT to exceed to achieve good range results.
So that would be “NO faster than 70 mph”. But in reality, that is the CAP and NOT the speed at which the most optimal range can be achieved. Most likely the most optimal speed at which max ranges would be achieved would be “less than 70 mph”.
Sorry if thats a bit depressing, but I can tell you its fairly the same for all electric vehicles from all manufacturers. At least for now. Secondly, please understand that traveling uphill vs downhill vs on a level road will yield vastly different results. The degree of incline or decline will also augment this difference further. Though is also true of a combustion engine it is even more so with an electric drive train. So traveling uphill will eat up your battery at alarming rates. However, in stark contrast (and I have tested this) when I drive daily on a nearly 8 mile stretch of road from my house on the foothills to the valley where the freeway ramps are to the I-10. Setting my car even at sport plus mode and turning off regenerative drive mode and coasting for 8 miles at 65-70 mph will literally ADD energy to my battery after 10 minutes plus of continuous driving.
Now the reasons for this should be obvious but I am just taking the opportunity to restate the “obvious” only because it provides overall context for the previous info provided in this post.

4) So to wrap up. I get routinely about 240 range with
a) combined city and high way driving.
b) driving normally and not aggressively.
c) highway driving in normal mode but not exceeding 75 mph on the highway
d) traveling on mixed inclining and declining roads where the total trips mostly average out to a level surface.
e) Total range calculations are made from a Full charge, to about 10 to 15 percent battery life remaining where the total range of the trip is calculated from total range traveled plus range left from unused battery calculated from the average Kilowatts efficiency for each individual trip.

Hope that is helpful.
Do you do a lot of coasting in your Taycan or do you stick to using regen braking? Regen braking I assume adds more range, but I've also read about Porsche's deliberate decision to allow the Taycan to be able to coast instead of one-pedal driving.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Aside from the thrill of getting your new car, was it enjoyable driving the Taycan on a long trip? How comfortable is the interior?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts