Taycan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just leave it off. I've driven my Panamera for 6 years and been given a 'warning' once. Do a quick check sometime on how many people on the road don't have the 'required' front plate.
x2.

Especially if you live somewhere that has little to no traffic enforcement.

Aside from that, don't drive like a douche = no cop attention

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's a great way to slice your neck off in a crash or lose an eye. Everyone, please do not drive with a plate like that on the dash. You don't want that thin metal projectile flying at your face in a crash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes - do NOT put your license plate there. Completely agree.

On a related topic, relayed to me by some instructors at the Mid-Ohio school - when you're turning using the 'wrist facing you' technique, or when you observe anyone else doing this, tell them to stop. This instructor told the story about a girl that had been doing that while hit, and the airbag will drive your hand into your face. She has had 17 surgeries and is still not done...

Two hands on the wheel always at 3 and 9 preferred...

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I can stay out of city of Chicago I won’t need the plate. But if I have to travel there I’m gonna have to mount one. I would just mount it in it’s normal place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I can stay out of city of Chicago I won’t need the plate. But if I have to travel there I’m gonna have to mount one. I would just mount it in it’s normal place.
I would figure some way to temporary mount (colored velcro??).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very happy to be a new Taycan owner with the vehicle coming in the next week or two. Like many in a front plate required state (Illinois), I am trying to think about creative solutions. I appreciate the good suggestions above.

I saw an interesting photo of the Taycan in the Photos thread which showed the license plate affixed to the lower front spoiler. That was very creative.

I am wondering if that is a forum owner's car who could elaborate on how they affixed the plate to the car (screws, 3M adhesive strips?). Has anyone else on the forum tried that?

If not, what else have you tried. I am also thinking about the Show N Go bracket that would go under the front spoiler but need to have the car in hand to see how that could work around the front cameras.

Many Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very happy to be a new Taycan owner with the vehicle coming in the next week or two. Like many in a front plate required state (Illinois), I am trying to think about creative solutions. I appreciate the good suggestions above.

I saw an interesting photo of the Taycan in the Photos thread which showed the license plate affixed to the lower front spoiler. That was very creative.

I am wondering if that is a forum owner's car who could elaborate on how they affixed the plate to the car (screws, 3M adhesive strips?). Has anyone else on the forum tried that?

If not, what else have you tried. I am also thinking about the Show N Go bracket that would go under the front spoiler but need to have the car in hand to see how that could work around the front cameras.

Many Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the club. I’m sure you’ll be very happy with your new Taycan.

It’s my car. (In both of those photos) The plate is a laminated photo of my actual front plate.

I took a photo of the plate. Loaded the photo on my computer, reduced the image 50% vertically. Printed it onto high quality Cardstock. (Heavier than plain paper. Good photo paper would work well). Laminated it. Then attached it to the car with 3M VHB (very high bond) tape along all edges and a strip vertically in the center.

It has been on the car for 12,000 miles of driving, and survived speeds (on a closed course, naturally) of over 130 mph. It might be fading in the sun. Dye based inks (vs Pigment based inks) are fugitive in sunlight.

One police officer stopped and looked at it, commented he’d never seen that before, but didn’t cite me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome to the club. I’m sure you’ll be very happy with your new Taycan.

It’s my car. (In both of those photos) The plate is a laminated photo of my actual front plate.

I took a photo of the plate. Loaded the photo on my computer, reduced the image 50% vertically. Printed it onto high quality Cardstock. (Heavier than plain paper. Good photo paper would work well). Laminated it. Then attached it to the car with 3M VHB (very high bond) tape along all edges and a strip vertically in the center.

It has been on the car for 12,000 miles of driving, and survived speeds (on a closed course, naturally) of over 130 mph. It might be fading in the sun. Dye based inks (vs Pigment based inks) are fugitive in sunlight.

One police officer stopped and looked at it, commented he’d never seen that before, but didn’t cite me.
Thanks! That really is a very creative solution. So the regular plate would then likely extend 50% over the lip if you affixed a true plate there I suppose?

If it is not too much trouble, could you send a close up of the plate on your car?

Kind regards

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2 cents is that creative solution, while indeed very creative, is going to attract more police eyes on your car, not fewer, because the unusual plate will stick out from traffic. I bet you'd be more likely to fly under the radar with no plate at all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am thinking about staying out of the city of Chicago, hopefully forever ! But if I mount the front plate, I am thinking about using some good 3M tape that uses Velcro and it’s really sticky. I’m commuting in Northern Illinois and I have no issues with coppers at all. It’s the city and all their BS that will cause any problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agreed about staying clear of Chicago. My challenge about not running a front plate comes from my wife. She just never gets comfortable without that front plate. She allows me to get the cars that I want, but they need to run with the front plate. That is usually a reasonable trade off but difficult with this car.

I spend more time thinking about what to do when I have the car in my possession and get figure this out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bumping this thread as I'm in the same boat as some others... state law, and it is enforced. With my wife's Tesla Model X we decided to try and that lasted a month. I've been pulled over in my M5 which has a sto-n-go and of course was retracted and the fuse was out so when I tried to flip it up it didn't work. I just told him "oh damn, I forgot to put it out after the last car gathering" and pulled it out and he let me go. But needless to say, mileage where I'm at varies a lot from person to person. I don't see a good option for even the factory plate given the sensors that are center mass on the front bumper area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lay3r3:

This one is frustrating! When you say "enforced", do you mean they will pull you over just for the missing front plate? Or ticket you if parked on the street? Just curious.

From my research, seems like the "best" options are:

(1) Sto-n-go
(2) Skene Design: Skene Design No Holes Front License Plate Bracket Seems this could be mounted a little lower to clear the Adaptive Cruise and parking sensor.

Long shot would be a Carbonio front bracket. They don't list one yet for a Taycan but I e-mailed them tonight to see if they have that in their plans. Porsche

I am hoping someone more handy than I am on the forum takes the plunge and shares with us their experience.

By the way, came from an F90 M5 into the Taycan. Really liked and miss the M5 - it was a great car. Fortunately, I like the Taycan even a bit more and that was a high bar with the M5.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lay3r3:

This one is frustrating! When you say "enforced", do you mean they will pull you over just for the missing front plate? Or ticket you if parked on the street? Just curious.

From my research, seems like the "best" options are:

(1) Sto-n-go
(2) Skene Design: Skene Design No Holes Front License Plate Bracket Seems this could be mounted a little lower to clear the Adaptive Cruise and parking sensor.

Long shot would be a Carbonio front bracket. They don't list one yet for a Taycan but I e-mailed them tonight to see if they have that in their plans. Porsche

I am hoping someone more handy than I am on the forum takes the plunge and shares with us their experience.

By the way, came from an F90 M5 into the Taycan. Really liked and miss the M5 - it was a great car. Fortunately, I like the Taycan even a bit more and that was a high bar with the M5.
Here they’ll actively pull you over. Both my wife and I were pulled over just for front plates on our respective cars. But, I wouldn’t be surprised if they ticket you just sitting as they’ve done that too for expired plates. We used to have a high theft rate of registration stickers so I’d keep them in the glovebox and had woken up to a ticket on my windshield from overnight cop patrolling our neighborhood. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they do front plate tickets that way too.

Thanks for posting those options - I hadn’t heard of Carbonio so that’s a new one to add to the bag of tricks. I had Skene on my M5 before I moved to a Sto-n-go. It was a good little bracket even though you did have to drill into the bumper - just the bottom side. But it worked well. I don’t see how the Carbonio will work for a center-mass install b/c it needs a grill to attach to and there isn’t one. I held up the factory front plate mount to see where exactly it fits so people without their Taycan yet can see. You’ll notice it lips over the bottom edge of the bumper. It has a cut-out that goes around the front camera and it looks to screw in to the left and right of it on the underside. This leads me to believe a Skene may actually be a solid option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ly3R3:

Thanks for sharing the info about the stock bracket. I was thinking about mounting under the front lip spoiler with the plate coming up below the ACC camera sensor. It would be even better if the bracket could angle the plate up at a 45 degree angle under the ACC camera. I will take a picture tomorrow to show you what I am thinking . . .

I see that the Carbonio would need a grill but maybe a mounting for the Taycan off center on the side blades in the front grill could work. They don't offer a Panamera front bracket after all of these years with that car being on the market so I am not optimistic they would create one for the Taycan (even if they could figure out how to make it work).
This one is a challenge to work through ...

21 - 40 of 50 Posts