Taycan Forum banner

Current Taycan owners: What do you love MOST about your car

11K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  TaycanDave 
#1 ·
Curious question for those who've picked up their Taycan already. What do you love most about it?

Power/performance?
The unique styling?
The way Tesla owners look at you?

I'm curious what people love most once they take delivery.

#3 ·
I have, but I think there are very few. I have to say the biggest surprise for me is how refined the interior is and how much of a pleasant space it is. And how good the UI is. I am not a previous Porsche owner and really was not a fan of the previous interior designs. This one is so much more Audi like.

The other amazing thing is not just the power/handling (which is really quite in its own class) but the REFINEMENT of the entire driving experience. My i8 is a very refined car but this is in a class of its own. Every ride/drivetrain detail was worked out to an extremely careful level, and considering this is their first EV it is no small feat. There wasn’t huge history of previous drivetrains to draw from.

And the fact that is magically hides its massive weight.

#4 ·
As a Tesla X owner I can tell you what I think about Taycan. I spent an hour or more with it at Frankfurt Autoshow in September 2019. It is a great car, I love German Engineering, but it is not my class of the car, because I am in Canada. I had BMW 3 series in Canada and it was so low (in terms of ground clearance), it could not move during the snowfall on my home street, it was sitting on its belly on the snow. I had to wait few days for snowplow to clean the street before I could take it to my garage from the street. So my class will be Taycan Cross Turismo or Macan EV. I was considering buying Macan before I bought Tesla, but then I switched to looking at Maseratti SUV, because the price was the same, but it was much bigger, the size of Tesla. Of course Tesla is a typical American car in terms of quality of assembly and used materials. I hate vinyl seats and vinyl steering wheel wrap. I prefer leather. But as soon as you have your first EV, you will never go back to ICE cars. So I am waiting for other German or Italian EV SUV to be available in a few years, when the 4 years warranty expires and I can sell my Tesla and buy something else. But as an engineer I can say that from the engineering point of few I think Porsche failed to match or to exceed Tesla features and specifications and they overpriced the car. I am sure they can do better with the next car, which I am waiting for. Tesla is a benchmark now, same way as BMW 3 series was bench mark in ICE world. The only couple of thing I still don't like about Taycan is an "egg timer" on the dashboard, gear box for an EV and 4 displays (4 points of failure) with a lot of other buttons on the instrument panel. Tesla interior is much simpler and I like it as there are only 2 buttons in Tesla (hazard light and glove box open).

#6 ·
@Elia understand your opinion, but I respectfully differ. I am a Tesla Roadster owner and I have never been tempted to buy the Model S, X or 3. The S/X are overpriced massively in my opinion, and the 3 is fine. The Taycan is way overpriced but exceeds Teslas in every parameter (except range). Bang for buck is not there, but in that department I loved my Bolt way over any Tesla for price and range. The interior and drive of Teslas leave me cold. I was never a Porsche person, and I will admit the Jaguar I Pace is more fun. But the Taycan is spectacular if expensive.

Have you test driven an I Pace? Amazing car and value, specially in deep snow, with the Land Rover off road capabilities and very sporty. And yes there is a very good iPhone app.

#7 ·
Hi! Even Taycan forum is now down for maintenance! I agree, we should compare Tesla Roadster and Porsche Taycan. I did not test drove any EVs before Tesla X. I liked it at Autoshow in 2019, caught my eyes. Fall in love after test drive and bought it right away, needed a car urgently. I like huge windshield in it. Now I have a chance and time to calmly choose the next EV, it will be European for sure, but not iPace (I do not like and I do not trust UK cars, except Aston Martin), it will be either German (MB, Porsche or Audi) or Italian. I hope Taycan Cross Turismo or Macan EV will be more affordable, than Taycan Turbo S (price really shocked me, it can be up to US$230K in fully loaded configuration). I also hope that Alfa Romeo or Maserati will make an EV SUV in the next 3 years. We will definitely have more choices in 2-3 years.

P.S. Did not find Taycan specific App in App Store. Is it a general App for all Porsche cars?

#12 ·
@Elia: I am not sure he is an expert in this market. And Porsche is NOT competing with Tesla, not sure why people keep making this mistake. Porsche is a luxury brand, Tesla is not. It is just expensive.

And I have no idea what you mean, if you actually have Taycan on your Porsche connected account this is part of the page you see:

#16 · (Edited)
@Elia: I am not sure he is an expert in this market. And Porsche is NOT competing with Tesla, not sure why people keep making this mistake. Porsche is a luxury brand, Tesla is not. It is just expensive.

And I have no idea what you mean, if you actually have Taycan on your Porsche connected account this is part of the page you see:

View attachment 891
I wanted to download the App and use it in demo mode to see what it does. But I got an idea with Panamera Hybrid being a demo car.

I also do not consider Tesla as a luxury brand, it is really a "gadget on wheels", but all people in US and Canada I met (before Tesla started making Model 3, when only Roadster, Model S and Model X were available) were considering Tesla as a luxury brand and were dreaming about getting one. Now Model 3 is for a mass market, so Model 3 is definitely not a luxury car, I do not like it. It is maybe only good car for my daughter or my son.

What is your actual average energy consumption on Taycan? On my Tesla X the average is 20KWh/100km (or 32KWh/100mi) in Summer and 30KWh/100km (or 48KWh/100mi) in Winter.

#17 ·
I have a Turbo S which is the least efficient (motors and big tires). I drove in range in cold weather and I was getting 37 KWHr/100 miles (sorry we are in the wacky system). I have set climate to 72-73F, temperature outside was 26-30 F (so below zero) and I drove gently but by no means as careful as I could have been. I was surprised, it was much more efficient than I thought. Not at all as efficient as Tesla but it isn't trying to be one and its drive and ride and so much better.

I could have done 210 miles in that temperature on a full charge.

#26 ·
If I execute my order the first thing I will do is take the car out on one of my usual loops. I’m gonna drive it fast, sit in traffic, charge my phone, use the seat heaters / AC, etc... I’m gonna see for myself what the range is. I’m gonna push it to 100 miles from home and see if it will have enough juice to get home. It all sounds fine and good but when my other cars run out of range, I simply pull into a gas station and fill it up. Don’t have that luxury with a Taycan. Regarding EPA, my Panamera Hybrid gets a bit better mileage than the EPA rating, but it’s very close. Which leads me to believe that the 196-201 range number on the Taycan’s is probably about right.

#27 ·
Picked up my Turbo December 23. 4th Porsche after 4 Cayennes, it is my daily driver in the snowy Northeast. Fitted it with 4 Pirelli Winter snows. So far incredible in the snow, even with the tire width. Likely the weight helps here. I should mention I have a Touareg diesel for hauling and offroading.
Unbelievable car, can’t imagine ever going back. Quality of interior is amazing. Performance is giggle inducing, even among my 60 year old plus friends. Never tried launch control yet, wary of the snow tires and the salt deposits on the road and ability to handle it. Performance is incredible. One unexpected bonus is that the weight makes the ride very manageable even in sport plus mode, something I was worried about in a daily driver. The sound generator is wonderful, it sounds like something from the movie Tron. Best toy ever.
Home charging works great, you need to install a 220 outlet in your garage.
Body panel fit is not perfect, I need to sit with the dealer to see if there can be any adjustment, maybe rushed to get to the US before the end of the year. Porsche Connect and it’s connection to the PCM is buggy with very little written support so far.
If you can afford one, try one. The Turbo works for me, it looked as though the Turbo S is the same thing with $40,000 power supplement that only works in launch control mode.

#29 ·
Tells me 220 or so when I recharge, but I drive 60-100 miles a day on my commute, so haven’t pushed it. Almost always use sport plus mode because it is more fun and I don’t need to push the mileage. Preheat in morning and evening and keep the inside at 72 in freezing conditions when I go out to dinner.
I have downloaded all the charging station apps and will start down that path in the future for longer trips, but can’ t help you much yet.

#30 ·
So you see 220 on dash, ok. After 100 mile day, it say 120 on dash ??
I’m heading down the path to get one, have Turbo S reserved but thinking about switching to Turbo. I’m leaning towards Frozen Blue metallic with Mission E wheels with rim painted Frozen blue also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.