Taycan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Taycan Turbo delivery is inching closer and am curious if any of you current Taycan owners had your own delivery/ walk-thru check list. I figure your delivery process hindsight is always 20/20, perhaps there was something you should have asked about but didn't, inspected but didn't, inquired about but didn't, ect ..

PEC delivery on my end with a ~1100mi "baptism by fire" road trip back home to shake the car down accordingly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, my handover was limited to 30 mins due to covid restrictions, so not much chance to ask detailed questions. Since then I've had to figure my way through a few things. One - for me being an new EV user, I wasn't familiar with the best practice to only charge up to 85% when at home, so I happily charged it up to 100% on the first night. After reading the manual, I realised this wasn't a good idea every day (only when planning long trips), so I then needed to figure how to limit the max charge. This wasnt as easy as the manual makes it sound - there are two options under Charging - one called Profile and the other called Timer. You'd think you'd be able to set the max charge under either (that's what the manual implies) but you can't...you can only set the max charge under Timer. In effect you have to pretend you want to leave at a certain time the next day...it will charge up overnight during the hours you specify, and you can limit the max to eg 85%. For some reason you don't get this max option under Profile....Other issues relate to the PCM...which seems like it is in need of some updating to iron out early glitches in the user interface. Some features mentioned in the manual - like the ability to connect the car to an external wifi hotspot - are not yet possible in the PCM options - I assume these will come in some update. Another one - if you want to remove a paired device (e.g. phone), you have to press and hold on a phone on the far left, then slide that part of the row left to expose the "trash" icon...this isnt mentioned anywhere in the manual. Anyhow...these are all minor gripes...nothing can detract from the joy of owning one of these beauties, and in general the build quality is exceptional. All you really need is a few hours and some good coffee ;) to help you through a long read of the manual.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Be aware of issues when using charging timers at home as described in the thread Don breaks his Taycan over at Taycan Forum. The car winds up depleting the 12 V battery in some cases and requires a jump. A fix hasn't been released yet AFAIK.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, my handover was limited to 30 mins due to covid restrictions, so not much chance to ask detailed questions. Since then I've had to figure my way through a few things. One - for me being an new EV user, I wasn't familiar with the best practice to only charge up to 85% when at home, so I happily charged it up to 100% on the first night. After reading the manual, I realised this wasn't a good idea every day (only when planning long trips), so I then needed to figure how to limit the max charge. This wasnt as easy as the manual makes it sound - there are two options under Charging - one called Profile and the other called Timer. You'd think you'd be able to set the max charge under either (that's what the manual implies) but you can't...you can only set the max charge under Timer. In effect you have to pretend you want to leave at a certain time the next day...it will charge up overnight during the hours you specify, and you can limit the max to eg 85%. For some reason you don't get this max option under Profile....Other issues relate to the PCM...which seems like it is in need of some updating to iron out early glitches in the user interface. Some features mentioned in the manual - like the ability to connect the car to an external wifi hotspot - are not yet possible in the PCM options - I assume these will come in some update. Another one - if you want to remove a paired device (e.g. phone), you have to press and hold on a phone on the far left, then slide that part of the row left to expose the "trash" icon...this isnt mentioned anywhere in the manual. Anyhow...these are all minor gripes...nothing can detract from the joy of owning one of these beauties, and in general the build quality is exceptional. All you really need is a few hours and some good coffee ;) to help you through a long read of the manual.
thanks for your take .. looks like i got a date with reading the manual .. the enemy of all men

·
Registered
12 Posts
Be aware of issues when using charging timers at home as described in the thread Don breaks his Taycan over at Taycan Forum. The car winds up depleting the 12 V battery in some cases and requires a jump. A fix hasn't been released yet AFAIK.
Thanks. That was a long thread, and awful to see/read someone having to do that to their new car. I am hoping mine will not be similarly affected or that they have quietly fixed the software at least for newer cars off the line. Said that, I will try not to use the Connect App much if at all - it is pretty crappy, and if you are close to your vehicle you can adjust timers/profiles etc in the vehicle instead.

·
Registered
951 Posts
To save everyone time, here is a summary of the issue that he had.

- He installed a ChargePoint Flex, capable of charging at 50A (Taycan can only handle 40A)

- He connected it to his WiFi, set it to know that it was connected to a 50A breaker, and to limit it to 40A.

- He set the car to charge to a minimum of 50% and preferred charging times of 10PM to 5AM. Also, he also set a Timer, Target charge of 90%.

- He receives a call one morning that either his car has been broken into or there is an issue with the battery. The car hasn't been broken into but it won't automatically unlock.

- He unlocks the car manually and checks his Porsche Connect App and it says "Error During Charging"

- He calls for roadside assistance because there is no power in the car.

- While he waits for a tow truck he has to manually release the charging cable for the car. To do that, you open the front door on the side that you're plugged in, find the button at the top of the body panel and pull the knob.

- He finds the instructions on how to apply power to the 12v system with a 12v battery.

- The steps are:
1) Open the fuse panel (to the left of the driver's side footwell)
2) Find the Red 12v Positive Terminal, and pull it out about 1/2 inch.
3) From your spare 12v Battery, Attach 12v Positive to that terminal.
4) From your spare 12v battery, attach negative to the hinge of the car. (bare metal)

- The steps don't work and he waits for the technician.

- The technician arrives and tries the same steps with a bigger battery and it doesn't work.

- The technician says he needs their Lithium Ion Battery Charger and he goes and gets it.

- The Lithium Ion Battery Charger works and they can access the 12v Lithium battery in the frunk for a quicker charge.

- 5 minutes of charging the technician attaches his diagnostic computer to the car and for another 10 minutes it's collecting data.

- Everything seems fine and the technician is able to drive the Taycan to the dealer.

- They ask him details about the charging session and he sends them charge session logs from ChargePoint.

- He gets his car back and on the paperwork it says:
“The big clue is that he had the white blinking light well after it was originally connected. That's a rare condition that we've been trying to catch.
If you get to the car in time and start it when this happens, it generally won't release the plug without using the emergency release. If it just keeps going like that, the 12 volt battery eventually discharges." and “If the car is done charging and there's a white or red light on, something isn't right. I would definitely start the car to keep the 12 volt battery alive and make sure that charger is disconnected. If the emergency release is needed to disconnect the plug, then it will likely need a 12 volt battery disconnect to allow the car to sleep properly again.”

So it seems that Porsche is aware of the issue happening but they can't reproduce it to try and fix it.

- Later on the car dies again, 12v totally depleted. Technician come and they reset all faults, do the readings and everything is fine.

- Days later he does his own electrical work with the ChargePoint, which includes:
  • Replaced outdoor outlet. From a 6-50 to a 14-50. So he can use either charging stations without adapter cords.
  • Replaced the ChargePoint Flex’s source cord with a 14-50 plug.
  • Replaced the J1772 car cord with a new revision of the cord sent by ChargePoint after speaking with them.
  • Mounted the Porsche EVSE brackets to my outside post so he can keep it off the ground when using it.
- Even with the new ChargePoint J1772 cable the problem still exists

- May 8, service technician brought the Taycan and ChargePoint Flex back to their shop to run diagnostics and they were able to reproduce the bug.

- May 12 his service manager tells him "The Technician called the Field Technical Manager. He said that Germany is aware of your situation and they are working on a fix. We would like to keep the car for another day or two just in case they need us to do anything when they respond."

- May 17 he finds out Porsche in Atlanta is acquiring a ChargePoint Flex to duplicate what happened to him.

- He hasn't received an official cause from Porsche but this is what he thinks is happening and what he thinks you can do to avoid it.

• Plug in to AC charge (Level 2)
  • While it’s plugged in, and waiting for charging to occur (due to Profile & Timers) the user connects via the Smartphone App and changes a Timer or Profile. This “wakes up” some systems in the car.
  • For some reason the car does not go back into a Sleep state, causing a high draw on the 12v system.
  • The DC-DC 800v to 12v converter is not on, so the 12v battery is drawn down to the point where it is dead.
  • The last thing the car does is set off a Tampering Alarm (As if someone disconnected the 12v). At this point, Porsche Connect calls me on the cell phone.

How To Avoid This Bug:
  • Do not change Timer or Profile settings vis your smartphone while the car is plugged in waiting for a charge (or is still plugged in after taking a charge).
Or...
  • Only use the Direct Charging mode, allowing the car to go to 100% SoC (or wherever it gets when you physically unplug the car). Still, Don’t change settings via the smartphone App.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks so much for that delivery information on charging to 85% and how to do it and what to look out for to avoid that bug. I must say that the Taycan owners manual (which I have been reading while waiting for my car to arrive) is one tough read . . . it seems like it was written directly by one of the Porsche engineers after hours. It is by far the least logical and fluid of any of the other luxury car manuals I have or have had. Fortunately, we did not buy the car for the manual!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Newbie question about charging at Electrify America stations?

When you plug in to the high capacity DC charger, do you have an option to charge only to 85%? How do you set that? Is it the same way that JWoody mentioned when charging at home using the Timer feature?

It would seem like you could walk away while charging and it would could go over the 85% level unless you are monitoring closely without doing more.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts