Taycan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife’s 911 was totaled this week and considering the plunge into EV. Going to test drive some taycans Sunday. Besides the motor, what’s the major difference between the new base and 4S?
Besides getting the battery upgrade, any must options? There are SO many choices.
Any insight and tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Biggest difference is the air suspension comes with the 4S (I am guessing as I don't have mine yet lol). After that, it becomes a personal choice of what makes you happy, but DO get the upgraded battery. I think the 4S is worth the additional bucks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes I think air suspension is a must have. I went with a 4 S last year because I was concerned the EV tax credit might be cancelled and the base Taycan wasn't yet for sale. My build was somewhat minimalist: base interior, Dolomite silver, rear axle steering, larger battery, panoramic roof ( so you can use roof rack but it was mandatory in Mar 2020 ), Innodrive, folding mirrors, surround view, long charging cord, LCA, base stereo ( more trunk height ), 19 inch all season tires, Electric badging on doors, 14 way power seats with ventilation, "intelligent range manager", mobile charger, folding mirrors, air compressor. This car is my daily driver, so far so good. YMMV.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definitely Air Suspension, Power Steering.

As usual, Porsche makes a lot of money from extras. Many not really needed but nice.
Would consider PSCB though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Because you came out of a 911 I suggest getting the Taycan RWD with the performance plus battery. I like the steel spring suspension, it makes the car more lively when having fun. The air ride suspension and AWD of the 4S is so advanced that the car is too stable for my taste. Toss that truffle hunter into some turns and feel the car alive in your hands. Mine arrives in June and I will be tossing it about first chance I get. What options you want / need depends on how you plan to use it.. for me I need a 4 door sports car, and the Panamera is too soft for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
@Porsche_Mann_ I hear you!
In an ideal world, I would have kept the 911 but would have found myself not much using it.
My thinking was that the Taycan cannot copy the 911. It's a different thing, ride hence needs all the fancy tech and smooth ride.

When the 911 feels like a machine, the Taycan feels like an UFO, at least that's what my children say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I think air suspension is a must have. I went with a 4 S last year because I was concerned the EV tax credit might be cancelled and the base Taycan wasn't yet for sale. My build was somewhat minimalist: base interior, Dolomite silver, rear axle steering, larger battery, panoramic roof ( so you can use roof rack but it was mandatory in Mar 2020 ), Innodrive, folding mirrors, surround view, long charging cord, LCA, base stereo ( more trunk height ), 19 inch all season tires, Electric badging on doors, 14 way power seats with ventilation, "intelligent range manager", mobile charger, folding mirrors, air compressor. This car is my daily driver, so far so good. YMMV.
What the sticker? Seeing that they are limited stocks, are dealers working with you?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Won't get mine for another 52 days, but from my test drives I didn't think the sight lines to the rear were adequate. That was enough for me to get "Lane Change Assist".

·
Registered
149 Posts
My wife’s 911 was totaled this week and considering the plunge into EV. Going to test drive some taycans Sunday. Besides the motor, what’s the major difference between the new base and 4S?
Besides getting the battery upgrade, any must options? There are SO many choices.
Any insight and tips would be appreciated.
I am going from a 996 series 911 C4S to the Taycan because I feel it is time for an EV. I went with the Cross Turismo because from my perspective about the only thing that could be an improvement on the 911 would be to have a decent trunk and headroom in the back. Besides that I just love the look of that roofline and the practicality of the hatch.

All of the Cross Turismos have the air suspension, dual motors, and the larger battery, so those were not choices for me. I cannot imagine not getting the larger battery, although one person on this forum who managed to drive every model preferred the handling of the smaller battery in the RWD, finding the lighter weight to be more fun. I love the feel of the all-wheel drive in my C4S, so I am fine with the extra weight up front. I was not able to test drive a Cross Turismo, but the air suspension on the sedan Turbo S I did test drive was fine. It is not as lively as my C4S, but also not as dull feeling as the very smooth 997 series that a friend owns. While I considered the 4S version, I settled on ‘just’ the 4 because in the reality of daily driving any sub-6-second 0 to 60 is pretty darn quick, and without the temptation of using the extra power there is some extra range.

I felt that one important upgrade choice on an EV is the ceramic coated brakes: with regen the discs will get used less often and one distinct annoyance I have with my 911 is rust forming on the discs. I guess I’ll see how white those calipers stay. I went with the rear wheel steering and that seems to be one thing that is highly suggested on this fourm. I also went with the Tech package because it includes the screen in front of the passenger. I understand why, but I’ve always been annoyed with the center screens that don’t accept input when the car is moving, so this way the passenger will be able to work navigation. Besides, the all across the dash screen just looks so very cool!

After that I’d say just spend time with the configuration web pages. I went through it 3 times about a week apart before settling on my preferences, and only then was my wife was willing to give her input and add the things she wanted.

I have ordered but it is not expected to arrive until the end of October, so I cannot really say how my choices will actually work out.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
I got my Taycan 4S about a week ago and could not be happier. This is my first EV and I'm now a convert.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
The more I drive my 4S the more I like it. So far I don't have a single complaint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts