Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not driving much at the moment, Taycan's in the garage.
Outside, we're below freezing, battery temp at 3°C/ 37°F, declining I guess.

How should I protect the battery?

• Plug it in?
  • keep charge at say <80%, but recharge frequently?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
183 Posts
keep the car plugged in, it will not charge beyond whatever level you choose. remember that minimum is maximum when setting up the charge profile

·
Registered
287 Posts
and you might need to get the Porsche ‘any kind of battery’ (made by Ctek) or the Ctek brand Li-ion 12V battery charger/maintener. I have their standard lead-acid charger/maintainer/reconditioner and it has kept several cars going through this pandemic when they are no longer used for commuting.

Not to run too wide of the question, although doing so anyway, does anybody know how the 12V battery gets charged in normal use?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to run too wide of the question, although doing so anyway, does anybody know how the 12V battery gets charged in normal use?
It's charged via the big battery.
Only there where some bad charges of 12V batteries that didn't report SOC correctly last year. Fixed.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
My 4S is my only car so I have no choice but to drive it in the Winter months. Driving range has dropped about 25 miles from the Summer months.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@PassGas thanks, FYI: if you pre-heat properly, range almost doesn't drop (especially if car's plugged in)

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
183 Posts
and you might need to get the Porsche ‘any kind of battery’ (made by Ctek) or the Ctek brand Li-ion 12V battery charger/maintener. I have their standard lead-acid charger/maintainer/reconditioner and it has kept several cars going through this pandemic when they are no longer used for commuting.

if you want to use a trickle charger on a porsche taycan it must be one for lithium batteries

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's charged via the big battery.
Only there where some bad charges of 12V batteries that didn't report SOC correctly last year. Fixed.
That is what I suspected, but it only makes me wonder why they chose to have a 12V battery at all. Why not just have the DC to DC converter for all of the 12V accessories? There has to be one to do the charging anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
@PassGas thanks, FYI: if you pre-heat properly, range almost doesn't drop (especially if car's plugged in)
Since I live in an apartment I cannot charge except for the EA charging station so my options are limited.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ebdreyer Set a departure timer with pre-heating
optionally: also charge in the same timer (will heat battery even more)

Alternatively:
if you know you will leave in a bit, manually pre-heat via the App.

·
Registered
21 Posts

My Taycan charges to 100% when m
keep the car plugged in, it will not charge beyond whatever level you choose. remember that minimum is maximum when setting up the charge profile
my Taycan still charged to 100% when minimum is set at 85%. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Taycan charges to 100% when m

my Taycan still charged to 100% when minimum is set at 85%. Any suggestions?
If you don't have preferred charging times, you
  • set the General Profile to 85%
  • disable all other profiles enabled in this location

with charging times, you will need to set a timer…

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is what I suspected, but it only makes me wonder why they chose to have a 12V battery at all. Why not just have the DC to DC converter for all of the 12V accessories? There has to be one to do the charging anyway.
maybe it was just an engineering design optimization decision. a dc-dc converter to charge the battery would likely be much smaller than one that would drive all the 12v accessories in the car (not sure what the current draw is, but there are a lot of toys in there). also probably a more expensive solution than for the dc-dc/battery solution. just a guess.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's very good, I am down 25-30% in the winter months. Cold weather crushes range
Here's an example of how it crushes it....
Madison WI here and it's high teens outside.....but always in 30s in my garage where the Tay is and where charger is.
I set profile to 100% because I'm driving out of town the next day.
Full 100% charge in the morning shows (just) 214 mile range as I back out.
In first 3 miles the range drops to 190 and as I head down the road I'm starting to wonder if I'll make it back at day's end.
End of the story is that I did make it back......however I only showed just 6 mile range as I pulled back into the garage.
My trip was almost exactly 130 real miles on state roads (55mph).
So....my range that day was about 126.
It made the trip 'interesting' for me as well as my three passengers.....but also disappointing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts