Taycan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Electrek, if you're looking for a solution to charge multiple EVs at your house, the solution might be to get a Clipper Creek HCS-D40 Dual-Charging Station rather than getting a second 240-volt charging station. I'm not too familiar with Clipper Creek but getting a dual charging station seems way more practical then having to install 2 separate stations.

Charging Two at a Time
The big question is how individual homes manage to charge two EVs. I suspect that most folks use a single Level 2, 240-volt charger and take turns.

After getting your second EV, your first instinct might be to install a second 240-volt charging station. That’s an option, but it takes up more space and essentially doubles the cost.

A likely better choice is the Clipper Creek HCS-D40 Dual-Charging Station. The HCS-D40 is a 32-amp, Level 2 hard-wired station that can charge two vehicles simultaneously on one circuit. The HCS-D40 automatically splits power between two vehicles, with up to 16 amps of electricity each when both are charging – and up to 32 amps when one vehicle is charging. It’s equipped with two 25-foot charging cables so most owners should be able to reach both cars.

The HCS-D40 cost $1,369, so it’s significantly more expensive than a single-cable station. Perhaps you could sell your first charging station to recoup some cost. Ideally, the dual-charging HCS-D40 would be the first one that got installed. But who thinks that far ahead?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the link. I have to admit it didn't cross my mind to future-proof my garage with two EV chargers but I'm going to research some of these solutions now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts