Taycan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Another new member from the Toronto area.

A bit of a a-ha moment for me - deciding on my first Porsche and struck with the possibility I may be choosing my last internal combustion engine car (a 911) or my first electric (Taycan).

I'm into cars and have been deep into ICE cars of all types from 4 cylinder up to 12, normally aspirated, turbo and supercharged. The Taycan Turbo (S?) really intrigues me. What has me hesitating is two things - the loss of the mechanical aspects/the emotion of the sound/etc and the range and public charging infrastructure.

Re. the mechanical aspects, I think it's just a transition and I will be quickly intoxicated by the tongue of the electric powertrain (and the Taycan piped in sound). Curious on others who have made the transition.

Range on the other hand has me practically worried. Certainly, the car will spend most of its days locally but occasionally I may want to take it on longer trips (parents 330kms away and no longer in their home - public charging required). I'm struggling with the real world use of public chargers - not great locations (gas stations with nothing near them), low quantity of type 3 chargers, etc.). I think Canada is further behind the US in it's infrastructure and I'm curious if members have found this a stumbling block.

Happy I found the forum this morning and thanks all for great information I've already discovered.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Welcome @YYZFuelFree!

I believe we have some Taycan owners here that used to own 911's and can easily say EV is the way to go!

About charging stations... have you looked at what companies like Electrify Canada has planned? Your local, provincial and federal governments might be helping too with funding.

·
Super Moderator
782 Posts
At 330 kms you'll probably need to recharge. In fact it's almost guaranteed. Southern and Eastern Ontario are filled with chargers on most major routes though so I can't see you having an issue.

To have a better look at the availability of chargers on your route, you can check out PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Did you test drive one yet? (I have a friend at Pfaff if you want an intro).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all for the quick responses. I've been researching all day - even drove around to find a few chargers nearby. I have looked at all the different providers (focusing on type 3s); Electrify Canada, Petro Canada, Flo, etc. Perhaps I'm being paranoid re. distance anxiety and my hustle bustle life wanting a quick charge vs. the multitude of type 2s out there. Out of curiosity, do the merchants that provide chargers care if one just drives up and plugs in or is there a "charging culture" one needs to be aware of?

I have not driven a Taycan yet - actually avoiding it while I do my research as I have a feeling I will be easy prey once I drive one :) . If I do need an intro, I will reach out - highly appreciated.

Getting simultaneously excited and paranoid ....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome to the forum @YYZFuelFree. Like St00k said, you're more than likely going to need to stop and charge because 330 km is pushing the range limit (The Turbo's EPA rating is 201 miles/323 km).

As long as you have accounts set up with each charging provider then I don't see any issues (except you can't charge at a Tesla supercharger obviously). It's not like you have to stick with one provider.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My new Taycan is my 5th Porsche in a row. I traded in my 911 Targa. I really wanted an EV and was about to buy a Tesla when the Taycan was announced. I immediately put down a deposit. As it got closer to delivery I started to waiver between a 2020 911 (big changes) and the Taycan. I stayed with the EV idea and I'm very happy. It has the performance of the 911 with a quiet elegance. It is the perfect Porsche. I do wish Porsche was a little further along with their tech. A lot of bugs. I also wish their charging stations were closer to what had been promised. Most of the charging is done at home though and a TeslaTap adapter provides some confidence for distance so it's not that big of a deal. (adapter works with destination Tesla charge stations, not superchargers). You can't go wrong with a choice between a 911 and a Taycan, but my vote is definitely for the Taycan!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome @YYZFuelFree.

Will the Taycan be your only car or do you have others available?

Choosing between ICE and EV reminds me of a quandary I faced years ago. I had always been a diehard manual transmission person, loving the engagement of a great weekend drive in a sports car, but realized with modern automatics that an automatic better fit my commute. And I definitely needed to switch to an auto if I was going to buy my first electric car.

But I didn't want to give up my manual transmission. The answer for me is owning an electric vehicle as my daily commuter and owning an internal combustion engine manual sports car for the weekend or leisure road trips a few hours away.

Maybe consider two cars? Taycan for everyday, embracing what's new, and a Boxster or something for occasional weekends?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome @YYZFuelFree.

Will the Taycan be your only car or do you have others available?

Choosing between ICE and EV reminds me of a quandary I faced years ago. I had always been a diehard manual transmission person, loving the engagement of a great weekend drive in a sports car, but realized with modern automatics that an automatic better fit my commute. And I definitely needed to switch to an auto if I was going to buy my first electric car.

But I didn't want to give up my manual transmission. The answer for me is owning an electric vehicle as my daily commuter and owning an internal combustion engine manual sports car for the weekend or leisure road trips a few hours away.

Maybe consider two cars? Taycan for everyday, embracing what's new, and a Boxster or something for occasional weekends?
I admit it was odd to give up my manual transmission, but since I mostly do in town driving I'm learning to love the smooth automatic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update ... I've decided to wait until next year to let some of the software bugs work themselves out, observe real world ranges and watch the development of the charging networks (Petro Canada, etc.).

I will keep watching/participating all your adventures in this forum.

Thank you all for your thoughtful & helpful considerations.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quick update ... I've decided to wait until next year to let some of the software bugs work themselves out, observe real world ranges and watch the development of the charging networks (Petro Canada, etc.).

I will keep watching/participating all your adventures in this forum.

Thank you all for your thoughtful & helpful considerations.
That's very fair, no need to rush a purchase like this. There's some good stuff coming in the 2021 Taycans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts