Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I took my car over to a local EA station for its first charge outside of my home in anticipation of a road trip I am taking for a week starting tomorrow.

The Porsche connect app correctly located the closest EA station at a Walmart about 4 miles from my home. Upon review, the station showed multiple Kw chargers including a 350Kw. I then got in the car and identified the same location through the navigational system. So far so good.

Upon starting the navigation system, it directed me on a route that was probably 5 minutes out of the way (I could have gotten there without the nav but wanted to see how it routed me). Google or Apple Maps would have provided a more direct route.

When I got to the 350Kw charger, I opened both my Porsche connect App and the Charging America App. Both apps reflected all of the chargers at the location. However both apps showed that each 350Kw was not operational. As I looked at the chargers themselves, they appeared to be operational.

I attempted to follow the procedure to charge using them, but was not successful. Thereafter I called Electricfy America. The advisor reviewed the location and did not see any issues with the charger. He was able to get my charge going manually after I plugged in. He then suggested I call Porsche.

On my way home I called Porsche. The advisor at Porsche gave me an unbelievably thoughtless answer, and Porsche should be embarrassed that their advisors are not trained to be better communicators. Upon mentioning the problem, the response I got was something along the lines of “The system does nto always work. You can try going back tomorrow and it may work. We do not know why this is happening but we know there is an issue”.

If Porsche wants to truly win the EV war, they need to do much better. For my trip tomorrow, I planned the route with the Porsche App and checked all of the EA locations to make sure the 350Kw chargers were showing green, which they seem to as of last night. I guess worse case scenario is I use a 150Kw charge and I am just going to take that much longer to get to my destination.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Absolutely!! Porsche, VW, Audi and Ford all have to lean heavily on EA to ensure reliable and easy charging. And with Lucid coming on the market as EA vehicles, it’s going to get really crowded as EVs become more prevalent. There are way too many stories like yours and it’s a real shame as Tesla Superchargers simply work without any of the BS that seems to plague EA charging stations.

I’m awaiting delivery of my Taycan 4S and these EA issues are giving me serious pause about switching from Tesla to Porsche. Let’s hope they get their act together soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I watched a YouTube video of a cross country trip from NY to LA last night in advance of my trip today up to Savannah from South Florida. The video was a good way to get a feel for what to expect. The guys in the video beat the timing record previously done in a Tesla. The video gave me a lot of comfort.

After departing early, I am now at my first charging stop. The car is plugged into a 350kw EA charger and it’s working flawless as I sit here having breakfast close by, definitely elevating my prior range anxiety and feeling good about the trip!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Absolutely!! Porsche, VW, Audi and Ford all have to lean heavily on EA to ensure reliable and easy charging. And with Lucid coming on the market as EA vehicles, it’s going to get really crowded as EVs become more prevalent. There are way too many stories like yours and it’s a real shame as Tesla Superchargers simply work without any of the BS that seems to plague EA charging stations.

I’m awaiting delivery of my Taycan 4S and these EA issues are giving me serious pause about switching from Tesla to Porsche. Let’s hope they get their act together soon.
This EA System being built by VW is in response to their “Dieselgate” problem. They keep adding them all the time. There is so much discussion about this but with Audi VW and all using the same basic system they’ll have to get rid of the bugs and keep adding more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This EA System being built by VW is in response to their “Dieselgate” problem. They keep adding them all the time. There is so much discussion about this but with Audi VW and all using the same basic system they’ll have to get rid of the bugs and keep adding more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I find it funny that Electrifly America is being marketed as a resolution to Dieselgate when the system was going to be built regardless.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I find it funny that Electrifly America is being marketed as a resolution to Dieselgate when the system was going to be built regardless.
Exactly, but the stipulation was that a larger
amount of money would now, because of Dieselgate, be brought forward to build the network.

·
Registered
65 Posts
KEY POINTS
  • Volkswagen has created Electrify America with $2 billion in funding as part of its emissions scam settlement with the U.S. and California.
  • Electrify America wants to have hundreds of stations and nearly 2,000 chargers in place by the end of this year.
  • McKinsey & Co. projects it will cost up to $50 billion to ensure public charging stations are as easily accessible as gas stations in three key markets — the U.S., Europe and China.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KEY POINTS
  • Volkswagen has created Electrify America with $2 billion in funding as part of its emissions scam settlement with the U.S. and California.
  • Electrify America wants to have hundreds of stations and nearly 2,000 chargers in place by the end of this year.
  • McKinsey & Co. projects it will cost up to $50 billion to ensure public charging stations are as easily accessible as gas stations in three key markets — the U.S., Europe and China.
Without having read it based on just the summary you provided, I think the McKinsey report is somewhat flawed. Specifically, if you own an EV, then you most likely have a charger at home. If you have a charger at home that mitigates the need for a local spot to charge akin to a local gas station. Therefore the requirement predominately becomes charging for long distance trips. The issue I see, based on my current trip I am on, is the limited number of fast chargers currently available, and that number definitely needs to increase.

At the same time, I think the real issue is electric infrastructure to support the increased electrical needs. I can not phantom to think the infrastructure is in place to support the major OEMS going all electric. At least we are talking about a decade or so to get that infrastructure in place.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Without having read it based on just the summary you provided, I think the McKinsey report is somewhat flawed. Specifically, if you own an EV, then you most likely have a charger at home. If you have a charger at home that mitigates the need for a local spot to charge akin to a local gas station. Therefore the requirement predominately becomes charging for long distance trips. The issue I see, based on my current trip I am on, is the limited number of fast chargers currently available, and that number definitely needs to increase.

At the same time, I think the real issue is electric infrastructure to support the increased electrical needs. I can not phantom to think the infrastructure is in place to support the major OEMS going all electric. At least we are talking about a decade or so to get that infrastructure in place.
I agree, Texas can't even keep their homes electrified this week! The grids will have to be expanded significantly. One of the mags, R&T maybe had a good article about a cross county trip in which waiting in empty Walmart parking lots at night was not really what they expected!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wonder what kind of commitment the automakers will make to increasing grid capacity and all, Note the Shell in Europe just bought a major charging net.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, Texas can't even keep their homes electrified this week! The grids will have to be expanded significantly. One of the mags, R&T maybe had a good article about a cross county trip in which waiting in empty Walmart parking lots at night was not really what they expected!
Lol, Over the past week on my trip I have spent plenty of time in Walmart parking lots and other malls. They actually didn’t bother me. Was able to always find something I needed inside or walk over to a restaurant or other establishment close by.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I returned from my trip a few hours ago, having driven close to 2,000 miles, and stopped at numerous EA charging stations, I can conclude that I was very pleased with the trip and the overall experience with EA charging stations. I did not have any material issues during the trip, I was able to use the 350Kw chargers at locations which included them. While not all of the 350Kw chargers were were working at all of the stations were working, there was at least one 350Kw charger at each location that was working thus enabling me to charge quickly and efficiently. There was only one instance where I needed to remove a charging plug and replace it with another.

I do wish the Porsche connect app was a bit more flexible when using the explore feature to create a route. I often found other charging stations were better suited than the ones automatically selected by the app (or the navigation system in the car), and add, changing or moving stop overs sometimes creates confusion for the system.

Based on this experience, I have significantly minimized any range anxiety I might have previously had. I am getting more comfortable that the range reflected in the car will match real world ranges and I am not beginning to push myself on longer journeys with fewer stops.

Now if I can only lighten up on the pedal and start to see some really long ranges.......lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I watched a YouTube video of a cross country trip from NY to LA last night in advance of my trip today up to Savannah from South Florida. The video was a good way to get a feel for what to expect. The guys in the video beat the timing record previously done in a Tesla. The video gave me a lot of comfort.

After departing early, I am now at my first charging stop. The car is plugged into a 350kw EA charger and it’s working flawless as I sit here having breakfast close by, definitely elevating my prior range anxiety and feeling good about the trip! View attachment 2917
From when I had my Taycan the Electrify America charging network was very poor. Would take five to ten minutes to recognize and you would have to change plugs multiple times too. Just watched the trip from New York to LA and the guy had multiple issues with charging on EA chargers. They probably wasted a good 1-2 hours on charging issues over the course of 25 to 30 charges on the route. So sad. The car is a beast! Hope they get their act together.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From when I had my Taycan the Electrify America charging network was very poor. Would take five to ten minutes to recognize and you would have to change plugs multiple times too. Just watched the trip from New York to LA and the guy had multiple issues with charging on EA chargers. They probably wasted a good 1-2 hours on charging issues over the course of 25 to 30 charges on the route. So sad. The car is a beast! Hope they get their act together.
Even with the few issues the guys on the cross country trip encountered, they still did it faster than any other EV could do it in, The speed of improvement and development is rapid. Based on my experience, it seems they very much are doing the right things.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
141 Posts
Even with the few issues the guys on the cross country trip encountered, they still did it faster than any other EV could do it in, The speed of improvement and development is rapid. Based on my experience, it seems they very much are doing the right things.
you are way too forgiving, the current state of reliability of the EA network and the wonkiness of the porsche apps renders road trips necessitating charge stops into a craps shoot. Porsche is selling fast charging hard but they aren't delivering on their promises.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last night I took my car over to a local EA station for its first charge outside of my home in anticipation of a road trip I am taking for a week starting tomorrow.

The Porsche connect app correctly located the closest EA station at a Walmart about 4 miles from my home. Upon review, the station showed multiple Kw chargers including a 350Kw. I then got in the car and identified the same location through the navigational system. So far so good.

Upon starting the navigation system, it directed me on a route that was probably 5 minutes out of the way (I could have gotten there without the nav but wanted to see how it routed me). Google or Apple Maps would have provided a more direct route.

When I got to the 350Kw charger, I opened both my Porsche connect App and the Charging America App. Both apps reflected all of the chargers at the location. However both apps showed that each 350Kw was not operational. As I looked at the chargers themselves, they appeared to be operational.

I attempted to follow the procedure to charge using them, but was not successful. Thereafter I called Electricfy America. The advisor reviewed the location and did not see any issues with the charger. He was able to get my charge going manually after I plugged in. He then suggested I call Porsche.

On my way home I called Porsche. The advisor at Porsche gave me an unbelievably thoughtless answer, and Porsche should be embarrassed that their advisors are not trained to be better communicators. Upon mentioning the problem, the response I got was something along the lines of “The system does nto always work. You can try going back tomorrow and it may work. We do not know why this is happening but we know there is an issue”.

If Porsche wants to truly win the EV war, they need to do much better. For my trip tomorrow, I planned the route with the Porsche App and checked all of the EA locations to make sure the 350Kw chargers were showing green, which they seem to as of last night. I guess worse case scenario is I use a 150Kw charge and I am just going to take that much longer to get to my destination.
There service is horrible, most of there charging stations aren’t even working

·
Registered
65 Posts

1 - 20 of 25 Posts