Taycan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a snowflake so I need to purchase a charger for my Florida home. What is the best charger to buy? Should I just have a plug installed? I am not sure I can get wifi in my separate garage. There is only one car to charge and I am getting the Mobile charger connect and cables and the On-Board 150 kW DC-Charger. I have an electrician who will install whatever I tell him too. I have seen comments that you should only charge the car too 85% if you charge every night.

Please advise me!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just buy the wall unit and install the one you received with the car. Wire it 220 and you'll be fine for overnight charging. Forget the 85% you heard - charge all you want. Download EV Go, Electrify American and Charge Point apps and you'll find all the juice you'll ever need down there...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would just get the 50 Amp circuit and 14-50 socket installed and bring your Porsche Mobile Charger Connect with you.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey @Pappa, what @r553 mentioned is probably the best option. What makes you unsure about getting wifi into your garage?

There are a few ways to get around the wifi issue, like getting WiFi repeaters/extenders/boosters, another router in/or within range of the garage, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a snowflake so I need to purchase a charger for my Florida home. What is the best charger to buy? Should I just have a plug installed? I am not sure I can get wifi in my separate garage. There is only one car to charge and I am getting the Mobile charger connect and cables and the On-Board 150 kW DC-Charger. I have an electrician who will install whatever I tell him too. I have seen comments that you should only charge the car too 85% if you charge every night.

Please advise me!
Thank you All

·
Registered
5 Posts
This may have already been hit on another thread so my apologies if so. I'm curious on typical 120V / (8A setting) charge time? I saw somewhere that 120V charging takes 24 hours, but mine has been charging at only about 1% per hour ... so a 12 hour charge on 120V is yielding about 12% ... roughly 1 kWh per hour. Any similar experiences? Is this normal or is something wrong? Hopefully I can get my 240V installed in about a week, but been harder to schedule with covid

·
Registered
2020 Taycan Turbo - Gentian Blue
57 Posts
This may have already been hit on another thread so my apologies if so. I'm curious on typical 120V / (8A setting) charge time? I saw somewhere that 120V charging takes 24 hours, but mine has been charging at only about 1% per hour ... so a 12 hour charge on 120V is yielding about 12% ... roughly 1 kWh per hour. Any similar experiences? Is this normal or is something wrong? Hopefully I can get my 240V installed in about a week, but been harder to schedule with covid
I've not plugged our Taycan into a 120v outlet so can't speak for sure to it but on our Tesla when it's been plugged into a 120v it gets about 3 to 4 miles per hour of charge - depends on 15amp vs. 20amp circuit. Obviously the inverter is going to be different on the two cars but that may give you an idea.

·
Registered
2020 Taycan Turbo - Gentian Blue
57 Posts

Please advise me!
As others mentioned the ideal situation is you have an electrician install a 50amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. This will let you use the mobile charger that comes with the car at the full 40 amps. Plenty for charging at home. As for WiFi I don't think you need it. The mobile charger does have a web interface if you want to look at charging history but that's about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts