Taycan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning my first road trip in ‘21 Taycan 4S CT. The first leg of the trip is around 120 miles from home to EA charging in Massachusetts. Second leg is 196 miles from there to an inn that has a destination charger. Just wondering whether EA will allow me to charge to 100%, (230 mi) or cut me off at 85% (196 mi.)?

· Registered
23 Posts
It will allow 100% but it gets slower at the end. I suggest you drive longer the first and charge less at the stop. That will make the total charging time less. Having a converter like a TeslaTap is always good insurance for open chargers or which are faster. Some hotels have very slow regular chargers.

· Registered
2021 taycan 4s
230 Posts
I am planning my first road trip in ‘21 Taycan 4S CT. The first leg of the trip is around 120 miles from home to EA charging in Massachusetts. Second leg is 196 miles from there to an inn that has a destination charger. Just wondering whether EA will allow me to charge to 100%, (230 mi) or cut me off at 85% (196 mi.)?
the DC charging overrides the profile settings.

the free charging will end after 30 minutes.
sometimes if you have your credit card info properly connected it will not stop and just bill you for the overage time.

· Registered
83 Posts
If this is your first distance trip, there is something else you need to consider regarding your charging stops (apologies if you've noticed this already) . . . I just got back from a Lauderdale to Tampa trip. In crossing Florida over Alligator Alley, I was often driving over 85 mph. I monitored this closely and according to my range indicator, I "spent" 134 miles worth of power. In actuality, I travelled only 93 miles. Point is, if you're driving fast, you eat up the power MUCH faster and you have SIGNIFICANTLY less range than the car indicates.

· Registered
27 Posts
The on board navigation system does a great job of suggesting the best route and charging stops to minimize the time you spend at charging stations. It also takes into consideration terrain, which is another factor in battery usage along with speed. I would suggest doing some research first on the stations it may plan for you to stop at, as some of them may be nothing more than a single charger on a wall at a B&B or a college, and you can't count on them working or a car not being parked in front of it. Be sure to get your credit card on file with Electrify America, as well as ChargePoint, to insure a seamless charge. I've taken my 2021 Taycan on several road trips, and the hardest part of the trip is being mindful of my speed!

· Registered
18 Posts
I have about 23k miles on my '20 4S, with several longer trips under my belt. I would look into breaking the second leg into two segments, if feasible. Your overall time may not change, because the 85% to 100% SOC is really slow. Your 100% range of 230 miles should go up with warmer weather, but terrain, speed, and temperatures do have an effect. Assuming you have the EA 30 minute charges in your original purchase, you can simply unhook and then start a new session without cost. I have had to do that when the charging speed was low. Getting better lately. Your destination charger should get you back to fully charged overnight. Have fun!

· Registered
83 Posts
I have about 23k miles on my '20 4S, with several longer trips under my belt. I would look into breaking the second leg into two segments, if feasible. Your overall time may not change, because the 85% to 100% SOC is really slow. Your 100% range of 230 miles should go up with warmer weather, but terrain, speed, and temperatures do have an effect. Assuming you have the EA 30 minute charges in your original purchase, you can simply unhook and then start a new session without cost. I have had to do that when the charging speed was low. Getting better lately. Your destination charger should get you back to fully charged overnight. Have fun!
I haven't tested it, but EA told me over the phone that there has to be an hour after your first free charge before you can get a second freebie.

· Registered
18 Posts
I haven't tested it, but EA told me over the phone that there has to be an hour after your first free charge before you can get a second freebie.
That is what I officially heard as well, but another Taycan owner at an EA site showed me otherwise, and I have not had any problems or billings the few times I have needed more than 30 minutes. Only comes into play when the EA gear is abnormally slow anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.