Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had an operation on my shoulder (rotator cuff tendon) and now out of action (golf) for a min 6 months. So, I sold my Macan S (got a GREAT price). You will know that the Macan EV is 3 years off so it comes down to a Tesla or Taycan. One of the reason I was able to sell my Macan for a great price is because it was well spec'd; I'd done a great job of spec-ing all the stuff I like and the must have extras that others want. Call me shallow but a car that looks good is more important to me than one that gets from 0-60 at the speed of light.

So . . . . . . what are the does and don'ts; the must have model/extras when buying an entry level Taycan?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I note that I cannot spec air suspension on the Taycan 4 Cross Turismo is that because it is on there as standard?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have just had an operation on my shoulder (rotator cuff tendon) and now out of action (golf) for a min 6 months. So, I sold my Macan S (got a GREAT price). You will know that the Macan EV is 3 years off so it comes down to a Tesla or Taycan. One of the reason I was able to sell my Macan for a great price is because it was well spec'd; I'd done a great job of spec-ing all the stuff I like and the must have extras that others want. Call me shallow but a car that looks good is more important to me than one that gets from 0-60 at the speed of light.

So . . . . . . what are the does and don'ts; the must have model/extras when buying an entry level Taycan?
I also have the base Taycan. I bought this off the lot so here it what I like. I enjoy the premium package, the upgrade leather, and the 20” sport aero wheels. I would not have bought the optional white metallic because it’s too close to the no cost white, rear 2+1 seats, heated steering wheel ( I live in Houston), the Porsche crests, or the electric sport sound.

·
Registered
60 Posts
"May" be a little biased since this is what I got, but if you want the best looking RWD . . . Cherry metallic+Mission E wheels+PORSCHE light strip in glacier blue. One thing I didn't get, but am considering now, but don't know if you can add it after-market, are the glacier blue headlights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe it's not the same with a Taycan but when I was buying my Macan it soon became clear that I would have difficulty selling it is I did not spec certain extras e.g. a pano roof, adjustable heated seats, air suspension and some extras were a no brainer e.g. larger fuel tank. As I said, maybe it's not the same with the Taycan?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
11 months lead time for a Taycan and unknown years for a Macan EV; the workers at Porsche must be either working 24/7 to meet demand from the rest of the world or sat there all day doing little to nothing waiting for semi-conductor chips!

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
I purchased the Taycan 4S last June and could not be happier with my decision. The only option I would like to have had is the battery plus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting that there does seem to be so much personal preference. I too bought a base Taycan off the lot but it was spec’d well. Dolomite over black. Wheels are personal preference but I live in Midwest making the Mission E wheels a “no go.” The Premium package, heated wheel, Sport Chrono, and 2+1 seating all are necessary in my opinion. Mine has passenger display which I would not have specd and would have used savings for motor sound and folding mirrors. It does have powered ports which seem like an indulgence but do bring a smile to your face. I do think that $100k MSRP is a reasonable build for a base Taycan. Anything more and you will be unhappy with the excess depreciation.

Color is a personal preference but I do think the whites and Dolomites set up best with the dull black trim. If you choose gloss black everywhere then any color works. I have a 718 Boxster S in GT with gloss black door handles and spoiler and Pipes and it looks fantastic. Were I to order one today I am not sure on color as they have opened up so many more choices - at a cost.

My $.02.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do whatever it takes to get the most range. So, if the bigger battery is available then get it. I think my 4S’s battery pack is made up of 2 or 3 AAA batteries and can only go about a quarter mile on a full charge. Seriously, my 79.2 kWh will get about 30 miles less than the 93.4 kWh battery, but many people recommend the larger battery for the extra range. I wish I had it.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
I would have definitely ordered the battery plus if I didn’t purchase off the lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine does not have the bigger battery. After the goofy break in period I am getting about 250 miles on a full charge. I have not taken it more than 100 miles from home so have not experienced the frustration of EA charging others have. My guess is I will buy a Tesla adapter to have to use their destination charging for hotels on the road as little hope that EA network will get fixed any time soon. We have a BMW X5 45e for longer trips.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
Have you tried the Range Mode yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have and it is effective under certain conditions I believe. Open highway with steady speed it will limit speed to 84 and does seem to extend range by maybe 10%.

·
Registered
11 Posts

i just sold my Macan S 2020 for 65k which i bought for 72k in December 19.Great deal.I also have a Taycan 4S and the must thing to have is the big battery for range purposes.In South florida with the airco going constantly and fairly aggressive driving in the city the range is about 200 miles.All these people who are claiming much longer ranges are driving the Taycan unlike a Porsche needs to driven which is aggressive hence you need the big battery

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is a lot of talk about getting the bigger battery. Do you realize that with the additional sales tax, the bigger battery costs OVER SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS? How many times is roughly 250 miles in range vs roughly 220 miles going to make a difference? Chances are you are going to be charging at home, which means you'll start the day with a full "tank". If you're this side of Jeff Bezos, a cost/benefit analysis is in order before you decide the issue.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
You make an excellent point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i just sold my Macan S 2020 for 65k which i bought for 72k in December 19.Great deal.I also have a Taycan 4S and the must thing to have is the big battery for range purposes.In South florida with the airco going constantly and fairly aggressive driving in the city the range is about 200 miles.All these people who are claiming much longer ranges are driving the Taycan unlike a Porsche needs to driven which is aggressive hence you need the big battery
There is a lot of talk about getting the bigger battery. Do you realize that with the additional sales tax, the bigger battery costs OVER SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS? How many times is roughly 250 miles in range vs roughly 220 miles going to make a difference? Chances are you are going to be charging at home, which means you'll start the day with a full "tank". If you're this side of Jeff Bezos, a cost/benefit analysis is in order before you decide the issue.
you make no sense if you are buying a 140k car and you worry about 6k to give you piece of mind i wonder how you made your money to afford a Taycan in the first place

·
Registered
60 Posts
you make no sense if you are buying a 140k car and you worry about 6k to give you piece of mind i wonder how you made your money to afford a Taycan in the first place
Where did I get my money? I re-financed my mortgage, max'ed out all my credit cards with cash advances and bought 39,000 shares of MGM last year at an average price of 11.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts