Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Taycan 4S. There will be times when the car is not driven for several weeks. I am concerned the 12-volt battery will lose its charge. Where in the car can I plug in a battery tender?

· Registered
2021 taycan 4s
230 Posts
I recently purchased a Taycan 4S. There will be times when the car is not driven for several weeks. I am concerned the 12-volt battery will lose its charge. Where in the car can I plug in a battery tender?
this is the porsche unit, usually available via your dealer but you could order it from them as well. I sometimes leave my car for 2+ weeks without using one without any issues.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is the porsche unit, usually available via your dealer but you could order it from them as well. I sometimes leave my car for 2+ weeks without using one without any issues.

Thank you, Kort, for your response. Where in the car should I plug in the battery maintainer?

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing that as well.

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
I just realized that I do have the Porsche Pro Battery Maintainer that I purchased back in 2014 when I bought my 2014 911 Carrera.

· Registered
19 Posts
The Trickle Charger plugs into the Cig lighter. But that connection didnt work for me...So had to put a connection in the FRUNK. After 3 times of having a dead battery...I trickle charge all the time...

Can get the Porsche Branded or CTEK which OEMS to Porsche.

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Interesting. The Cig Lighter always worked in my other Porsche’s.

· Registered
310 Posts
The Trickle Charger plugs into the Cig lighter. But that connection didnt work for me...So had to put a connection in the FRUNK. After 3 times of having a dead battery...I trickle charge all the time...

Can get the Porsche Branded or CTEK which OEMS to Porsche.
Good to know that the CTEK works because I have one of those, the model MUS 4.3. We’ve been driving so little in the pandemic that batteries in all our cars have needed charging and reconditioning. I thought that the Porsche one looked like a CTEK.

· Registered
19 Posts
Good to know that the CTEK works because I have one of those, the model MUS 4.3. We’ve been driving so little in the pandemic that batteries in all our cars have needed charging and reconditioning. I thought that the Porsche one looked like a CTEK.
You just need to get the Cig Lighter adapter on amazon

Attachments

· Registered
159 Posts
Please read the owners manual for 12 volt battery charging. The 12 volt battery is lithium ion technology and will not be happy with older CTEK chargers designed for lead acid batteries.

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Please read the owners manual for 12 volt battery charging. The 12 volt battery is lithium ion technology and will not be happy with older CTEK chargers designed for lead acid batteries.
Excellent find. Thanks for sharing.

· Registered
310 Posts
I emailed CTEK about this and they answered:

If the battery in your Porsche is 12V lithium you will need a lithium charger.

CTEK manufactures a Porsche branded charger which is available through your local Porsche dealership. The Porsche charger is both lead-acid and lithium battery compatible and includes the cig-plug accessory.

Our Lithium US charger is another option for you. Please click on the link below for more information.

https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle/products/ctek-lithium-us

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

· Registered
2020 Taycan 4S with Performance Battery
14 Posts
I just got back from a three week vacation. No issues with either battery system. The Tesla “ghost drain” problems don’t appear to be present in the Taycan. I have had my 4S since Sept ‘20, and did have some voltage issues with the 12 volt system, but not enough to need a jump. None since the software update.

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
That's good news. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.