1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
415 Posts
BMW and Porsche have developed a new 450kW rapid charging station that can provide up to 60 miles of range in as little as 3 minutes. It is still a pilot program, but proves that this technology is still very much in its infancy. It's only a matter of time before a recharge is comparable to that of a petrol refill. https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/bmw-and-porsche-are-working-three-minute-ev-charger
Siemens has always been in the lead which speaks to what they're doing now, making a streamlined systematic approach to support all EV's:

"There’s a Siemens energy supply system that can handle up to 920 volts (what researchers reckon future EVs will have), and cooled high power charging cables from Pheonix. That, and a no doubt brain-meltingly complicated system that integrates high-power electronics and vehicle communication. Which basically means any type of EV can use the same charger. A simpler infrastructure, then. At last."

·
Registered
102 Posts
They are going to have to develop some very capable thermal management systems to handle this kind of voltage. The whole reason why charging takes as long as it does, is in an effort to prevent battery degradation.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have seen reports suggesting that owners of current EV's are seeing range drop slightly year after year, with projections of at least 5-10% after 5 years of ownership.

·
Registered
117 Posts
With charging stations getting this powerful, I do worry about what the additional strain will be on the grid. With the first year run already spoken for, we're going to see a lot of these driving around next year.

·
Registered
415 Posts
As volume increases, fail safes will have to grow with them but no all city planners get up to speed in time. Investment dollars aren't often easy to find or put to work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is plenty of new emerging technology that will help to regulate the additional demand for electricity. I'm betting that many of these new super charging stations will actually have batteries underground to help supply power during peak times.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've seen Tesla's model for a system completely off the grid, just using battery and solar panels. But you can bet that energy companies will battle to have it their way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Stations with solar panels that large are likely to be very expensive to build. And I wonder how much electricity can be generated by them. I doubt it will be able to charge more than a car or two per day, just on renewable energy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts