Taycan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed at least a hundred times, but I'm not seeing anything recent. I have been saving (and waiting) for a Cross Tour 4S for some time. But in one of my latest wistful visits to the Porsche configurator, just for fun, I configured a Turbo -- with no extra-charge paint, interior treatment or wheels (they're pretty good already with a Turbo) and with features from the 4S config that are offered more cheaply with the Turbo -- and was pleasantly surprised that the difference was only about $20K. (My 4S config is loaded, including almost $5K for carbon fiber, a nice look but not really necessary.)

I know the choice is a personal preference thing. I'm not eager to bump my purchase from the $160's to the $180's. But I also don't want to have buyer's remorse if I miss that extra bit of response when I want it. I plan to keep this car forever, or least my forever.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts

This is not a direct answer to your questions or considerations but it certainly gives Nick Murray's opinion about Taycan options.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Definitely, positively, no question whatsoever, you need to get the Turbo. If you're at a $20K difference in price, then it means you have $21K more in options on your 4S. You're like me, in that you plan on driving the car for 100K miles or so, and that means your options basically have $0 value at resale. With the Turbo you'll be selling a car that should have almost 40% greater resale value based on the list price. I also think the Turbo's will hold up a bit better due to their desirability. Let's look at a terrible case for both cars - 80% depreciation. Your 4S would be worth $110K*.2=$22K. Your Turbo would be worth $150K*.2=$30K. You've then paid only $12,000 to drive a Turbo for say 6 years instead of a 4S. On the other hand, if the Turbo only depreciates 75%, it's basically a wash.

Get the Turbo - you'll not regret it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same question and tried both extensively;

Short answer: it is the Turbo.
Awesome machine, drives exactly like the Turbo S outside launch control.
Cost wise, given the standard extras it's also the best buy for me. It has most of the extras I want minus the ones I don't want (PCCB not needed, carbon trim not wanted, …)

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Cost wise, given the standard extras it's also the best buy for me. It has most of the extras I want minus the ones I don't want (PCCB not needed, carbon trim not wanted, …)
Thanks everyone. Obviously, strong opinions on both sides of the question, which I expected. But still very helpful. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Question I purchased the Turbo and had not had the chance to test the Turbo S using launch control is there a significant difference in speed? I often wonder if I made the right decision saving the extra $40k not going with the Turbo S because I don’t track the car so I was not sure if I could see a use case for the PCCBs and although I love carbon the cost couldn’t be justified. In short sometimes I often wonder not test driving the S and just purchasing the Turbo am I missing out on something!

·
Registered
65 Posts
You won't see a noticeable difference between the two in launch control or in highway driving. The Turbo S is a few tenths quicker in LC and in rolling acceleration due to the larger inverter for the front motor delivering 600A vs 300A for the Turbo. I've driven both and own a Turbo S and can say there isn't a great deal of difference - as long as you don't go head-to-head with a Turbo S on the street you won't know the difference.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Question I purchased the Turbo and had not had the chance to test the Turbo S using launch control is there a significant difference in speed? I often wonder if I made the right decision saving the extra $40k not going with the Turbo S because I don’t track the car so I was not sure if I could see a use case for the PCCBs and although I love carbon the cost couldn’t be justified. In short sometimes I often wonder not test driving the S and just purchasing the Turbo am I missing out on something!
Unless you're launching the Taycan on a drag strip you won't notice a difference on public roads. The Turbo's 0-60 in 3 seconds will be more than plenty to handle. You shouldn't have any regrets about ordering a Turbo.

How did you specs the rest of the car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unless you're launching the Taycan on a drag strip you won't notice a difference on public roads. The Turbo's 0-60 in 3 seconds will be more than plenty to handle. You shouldn't have any regrets about ordering a Turbo.

How did you specs the rest of the car?
Carrara white Metallic paint
Chalk seats
Premium and Performance packages
LED Matrix headlights in glacier blue
Light strip with Porsche logo in black
Mission E wheels
Night vision
Passenger display
Adaptive cruise control
Active lane keep
Burmester sound
Also I had the brake calipers powder coated yellow and the windows tinted including front windshield.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts