Taycan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 4S is in the shop for software upgrade (will be there for 7 days), so they gave me a base model 2021 RWD Taycan as a loaner. After reading some reviews on the RWD model it sounded like there would be little difference compared to the 4S, well there is a big difference. The first thing you notice is the steering wheel is not as great looking as the 4S, it's black plastic, but that's minor. Most importantly is the performance. I was driving in 'Normal' mode (the one you will use mostly) and the acceleration is well below that of the 4S, no feeling of neck-snapping G-force and no pull like the 4S, I was quite disappointed, and happy that I did not settle for this model. I then put it in 'Sport' mode and expected a big difference like the 4S, but that did not happen, a "little better" but not impressed. At 40 MPH if you hit the accelerator on the 4S the car takes off even in 'Normal' mode, but nothing with the RWD. I have driven my Tesla Model S P85 for 6 years and the Taycan 4S for almost a year, both are what you are want in an electric car, addictive performance. The base model will not do it for you if this is what you are looking for.

If you are considering the base, be sure you drive it in both Normal and Sport mode then drive a 4S. Also, this car has the base battery so you need to charge it to 100% to get close to the range you get at 80% with the premium battery+. So it is a catch 22: you need to drive the base in Sport mode to get any performance but with the small battery, your range will not be great in this mode. Be careful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the base model and I drove both 4S n base with extended battery. I don't think there was that much different in performance. I mean on a scale of 1-10. I would say, the 4S is about 8/10 while the base is 7/10. The turbo is 10/10.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your points are not unreasonable. However, the same argument can be made about somebody who has driven the Turbo or Turbo S and now has a 4S loaner which are the loaners available at my local Porsche dealership. The 4S in that situation could be considered disappointing and that a 4S buyer "settled" for that model for whatever reason (i.e. unable to afford the "better performing" model).

So, here is the funny thing. I doubt very many people ever feel that they had to "settle" for the Porsche they chose. I have extensively driven over multiple days the Turbo S, the 4S, and the RWD (never had the chance with the Turbo). Guess what. I landed on the RWD for a variety of reasons which might not be relevant to anybody else on this forum. However, for me, those reasons were all that mattered. Having somewhat less power, lighter weight, no "pull" effect as on AWD, more play on the road, etc., etc. made me land on the RWD. As with likely most Taycan buyers, there is not a substantial price difference with the 4S for those of us simply paying cash. Also, as it is an "extra" car for me, I have another AWD for other uses. Again, dependent on one's particular needs, I did not need my new Taycan to be all things at all times.

So, I am sure you were not trying to imply that a buyer with specific interests would truly be disappointed if they chose the RWD given all the information available and the specific needs of that driver. That would just be silly. My best advice is ultimately similar to yours. Test drive all the iterations. See what you like. Decide what works best in your particular situation. Then, make your decision and do not feel you needed to "settle" if you end up with a RWD or a 4S or a Turbo even though a Turbo S is also available.

T

P.S. Thought of a somewhat similar analogy after I made my post. I opted for white paint. Yes, plain white, not even Carrara white. A couple friends who saw me in my test rides over a few days said things like "white" is just not "sexy" enough for a Taycan. Well, I like white for this Taycan. My other cars have substantially darker hues. I think white emphasizes the "clean" energy aspect and also is different than my other cars. So, no, I did not "settle" for white. I did not struggle trying to save $800 instead of going for coffee metallic. Nope, I just liked white for this car at this moment in time in my life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Make sense. I think the color issue is absolutely a personal choice. If you like it go for it. In my opinion, white cars with black rims are sexy especially in Taycan. For the 4s vs base, the different could be up to 20K and this to me is worth saving some bucks. I came to the Taycan after trading in my Panamera 4S 2018. I know what you feel. However, I didn't have similar impression about performance, in the Taycan, for some reason after I drove the 3 models.

Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
15 Posts
At least you got a Taycan loaner. They were going to get me one, but evidently didn't have one with more than 40% charge ready, so I got stuck with a Macan. UGH!

Anyhow, it is an interesting feedback, and I suppose something for others to consider. I am super happy with my 4S for sure. 🥰

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my 4S has now been at Porsche for 8 days now for a 6-hour update. One of the modules failed several times and they needed to order a new one, which fortunately was available locally and not from Germany. Maybe tomorrow, UGH!!! While I have a Taycan loaner, it's not my 4S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts