Taycan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious on those of you who have owned a Taycan for a while on your success rate for charging on a 350kw charger? My vehicle was supposedly fixed to accept a 350kw charge. Tried 3 different chargers today using the Porsche (less than intuitive app) to charge and no luck until I it was paid for outside of the app and had to call EA to get it to charge on the 3rd station. Growing frustrated with a 200k car that can’t live up to its promises of a fast charge. I just want to drive and enjoy... not battle a super charge every time I stop on a longer road trip.. can anyone give me odds on their personal experience of a successful charge on 350kw.. 1 out of 5? 2 out of 5? Or is there someone out there hitting a home run at 5 for 5?

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is a crap shoot in my experience. Several times the 350KW charger would work. When it didn't I got the 150KW co-located charger to work. I usually get an error message from the Porsche Connect App but the car is charging anyway. Yesterday the opposite happened when the 150 KW charger didn't work the 350KW charger did work. I look forward to "plug & charge" which I hope is a software fix for MY2020 Taycans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SAME PROBLEM. Disgusted with my Taycan’s inability to use the EA network. My success rate since June 2020 in using 350 kw chargers at EA stations is less than 10%. Sometimes after spending time on the phone with customer service they can get a charging session initiated. Generally I waste 5-20 minutes on phone support before charging stats. I bought this car because of the quick charging and it does not exist. I am close to going after Porsche to repurchase the vehicle as it DOES NOT perform as they advertise. I love the car and all things about it, including home charging. But not being able to confidently take a road trip in a $150,000 vehicle is insane.

EA keeps taking my VIN and says they are working with Porsche to address this issue. But it doesn’t get better. EA even “upgraded” equipment along my route in south Virginia and North Carolina without any noticeable improvement. My dealer is not help. Super frustrated.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Curious on those of you who have owned a Taycan for a while on your success rate for charging on a 350kw charger? My vehicle was supposedly fixed to accept a 350kw charge. Tried 3 different chargers today using the Porsche (less than intuitive app) to charge and no luck until I it was paid for outside of the app and had to call EA to get it to charge on the 3rd station. Growing frustrated with a 200k car that can’t live up to its promises of a fast charge. I just want to drive and enjoy... not battle a super charge every time I stop on a longer road trip.. can anyone give me odds on their personal experience of a successful charge on 350kw.. 1 out of 5? 2 out of 5? Or is there someone out there hitting a home run at 5 for 5?
The best charge rate I’ve achieved is 250 kw and that didn’t last beyond 55% then drops to a 198 kw to 65% and then drops way down to 150 kw and the down down. I’m told that it’s the car’s software which governs limits of charging. Porsche apparently deeply concerned about battery longevity and thus not allowing outright 350 kw charging in NA. I’ve heard European owners are able to charge faster then NA owners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keep in mind that while the chargers at some EA stations can handle 350kW, the most the Taycan can take is 270kW. So you will never see more than 270kW max even at a 350kW station. That said, you’re only going to be able to hit 270kW for a rather small window. And temps of the pack need to be PRETTY toasty. If the pack is below ~85F and the SOC is above ~40% its going to start to taper off/down from there.

That said— my experience mimics those above. I’ve had much higher success rate getting the 150kW chargers to start and serve me juice, compared to the 350kW units. but i always try the big boys first. Even when i had my Audi eTron SUV... i had the same issues. For whatever reason, those 350kW towers are finicky.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Keep in mind that while the chargers at some EA stations can handle 350kW, the most the Taycan can take is 270kW. So you will never see more than 270kW max even at a 350kW station. That said, you’re only going to be able to hit 270kW for a rather small window. And temps of the pack need to be PRETTY toasty. If the pack is below ~85F and the SOC is above ~40% its going to start to taper off/down from there.

That said— my experience mimics those above. I’ve had much higher success rate getting the 150kW chargers to start and serve me juice, compared to the 350kW units. but i always try the big boys first. Even when i had my Audi eTron SUV... i had the same issues. For whatever reason, those 350kW towers are finicky.
You spot on... the Etron is possible faster to recharge my Taycan it will maintain 150 kw longer and higher % of charge before throttling back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
WHO has EVER promised you a charge rate of 350 ?? In Europe we get 240 which is plenty and allows for a coffee and nature break.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
WHO has EVER promised you a charge rate of 350 ?? In Europe we get 240 which is plenty and allows for a coffee and nature break.
Europe is a small continent compare even with the country of Canada. 250 kw from 0-80% would be welcomed in Canada where we travel great distances between large cities. Sometimes I don’t want to stop more them 15 minutes... just need to keep going if you have 1500 km days ahead of you. Faster Charge Rates are critical to future EV adoption.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check out the video posted by Steve Loveday of inside EV (Porsche Taycan 4S Road Trip Up The East Coast: South Florida To NYC ) who went from FL to NYC documenting the charging issues he had. Too bad Porsche did not cut a deal with Elon Musk to use their charging infrastructure that he said would be available. I also own a 2013 Tesla along with my 4S and have had no issues with Tesla supercharging. Porsche needs to correct this problem. No long trips in a Taycan until this is corrected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don’t think the OP was expecting 350kW of charging speed. It has been published that the Taycan’s fastest DC charge speed should be 270kW. But... the OP lives in the USA where we are given 3 years of free charging at ElectrifyAmerica stations. Those stations have (typically) 3x different towers.

Every tower has 2 cables (though only one can be used at at time). Tower option #1 would be a CCS Combo + CHAdeMO tower (one cable is CCS, one is CHAdeMO). Those towers are all 150kW advertised max power (though I believe CHAdeMO may only allow 50kW? Don’t quote me there)

Tower option #2 is CCS Combo (2x) and has a 150kW sticker/label on the tower. And finally Tower option #3 is the same as #2 but has A 350kW max speed label. Most Taycan users are smart to at least TRY the 350kW towers first, since they might be able to get 270kW there.

(Note: some users have reported using the 150kW towers and getting 170kW — so that is good news)

So again— the OP wasn’t using the 350kW tower expecting it to give him 350kW (at least i hope not; as 270kW is the max the Taycan will see)— but the issue is this: at almost ALL of the EA stations, the 350kW towers are always the most likely to NOT work. Many times they wont even get past the “handshake” part of the equation. Strangely this occurs with many users reporting it. But the 150kW towers work, providing at times as much as 170kW to Taycan owners.

Hope this clarifies—

1 - 10 of 10 Posts