·
Registered
2020 Porsche Taycan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
156 Posts
We just moved and haven't yet had time to get an electrician put in a 50 amp circuit in our garage to charge our car at home.
We have 30 amp at our business and wonder if Amazon.com: 10-50P MALE 3-PIN PLUG to 14-50R 4-PIN FEMALE RECEPTACLE STOVE RANGE OVEN POWER CORD ADAPTER 250V NEMA FX355 : Appliances will work with our Taycan charger so I can charge at the office.
Is anyone electrical savvy to answer this?
Thanks in advance!
My concern is that this converts from one kind of a 50A receptacle to another. You say that your work circuit is a 30A. If indeed the 10-50 is the correct plug type, you will not be able to draw full power that the Taycan ‘brick’ can draw (40A) from a 30A service. If you are willing to set the Taycan brick to charge at a lower rate it might work, but I do not have mine yet, so I cannot verify the available settings.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My concern is that this converts from one kind of a 50A receptacle to another. You say that your work circuit is a 30A. If indeed the 10-50 is the correct plug type, you will not be able to draw full power that the Taycan ‘brick’ can draw (40A) from a 30A service. If you are willing to set the Taycan brick to charge at a lower rate it might work, but I do not have mine yet, so I cannot verify the available settings.
silly me … I should have included that my wife’s Audi A3 e-tron has a very similar looking, although lower power, brick and it does allow for setting the charge rate at 50%

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Taycan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it will work but will take longer to charge than 50amp.
I'm not concerned about the time as I'll be working. We just moved and haven't been able to install a 50 amp at our new house and I'm not enjoying going to EA each week for a charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an similar situation. (first I'm not an electrician). My "dealer ordered" 2021Taycan came with the 25 foot, 6-50 supply cable. So good so far. (several electricians told me the 6-50 system is the way to go for new installs.) The socket I had from a previous charger was the same. Still good. The charger itself worked! but I wanted to put it into the "Charging Dock" that also came with the car (and I of course paid for). This "Dock" requires the socket needs to be precisely in the rear opening in the Dock. It was off by 2 feet. Our 50A home wiring was excellent, but had no adjustment possible. So a short extension was needed. The only decent 6 AWG 6-50 to 6-50 extension that I could find was 15 feet long. I tried it but the cable was hanging there like a python!. So EVSE Adapters had a 2 foot 6 AWG adapter that was 14-50P to 6-50 R. This particular 14-50P side only had 3 pins, instead of normal 4, since the 6-50 cable is only 3 wire, and does not need the 4th. So this made a neat install. All the electrician had to do was change the Socket to a 14-50 type ($10), leaving off the 4th wire at BOTH ENDS. Since your situation and connection is completely different, you might contact them for the appropriate adapter. I could not determine the wire thickness from your post t, but 8AWG would be minimum, 6 AWG better. The Porsche charger is touchy as to parameters including temp.
This was mine:
NEMA 14-30P/14-50P/14-60P to 6-50R Universal Adapter, 2 ft.1$49.00
Good luck, and let us know how it comes out!
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
One add on; For you new house, you should compare 6-50 and 14-50 installs. But since your Taycan charge has a 14-50 supply cable, which is easily removable, your Porsche dealer might swap you out charge cables, since they were all a $0 cost item.
Also EVSE has a variety of adapters to use Tesla chargers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts