Taycan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting the big 2022 software upgrade for my 2021 RWD, I noticed that 30 minutes of charging at EA only added about 30% of a full charge instead of about 60%. I talked to my service adviser at the dealership, and he said that the restriction ion charging thruput was part of the software upgrade and was done to reduce cable heating (I assume that's EA cable.). Also, the recommended 80% charging target is now embedded in the software and requires some manual intervention to override.

First of all, there was no communication of any of the changes/improvements in this upgrade, which is a problem in and of itself. I saw the document that someone in the forum found that listed the changes, but these weren't included.

Second, this devalues the "30 minute free charges at EA" by 50%. For me that's the difference between just charging for free once/week and now having to charge twice/week for the same mileage.

Third, on the road, doubling the charging time adds unnecessary wait time, reducing the advantage of using my EV for longer trips.

Fourth, the only time I wanted a near 100% charge was for a road trip. Now I'll have to figure out how to override the 80% limitation -- very annoying!

Anyone have any further info on these changes? Is my info accurate? Thanks.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the software update and I did not experience this when at an EA station. Perhaps at home was where I experienced a longer charging time. Perhaps they reduce the AMP. When you charge at EA, did you use a 350kw or 150kw?
I used 150 (highest available at my location). Talked to 2 other Taycan owners that have the software update and they didn't experience any difference. When I charged up again, my charging speed looked normal. So now I'm really confused!

· Registered
1 Posts
The change only impacts the home charger that came with the car. They were overheating and had to be downscaled in terms of sustained power.

You should be fine at any EA facility. That of course assumes the EA site isn't broken, deprecated or otherwise messed up like all the ones in our area have been for 3 FULL months.

you should be fine

· Registered
18 Posts
My home charger resets to 20 amps after each use. I can bump it up to the original rating of 40 amps, but only for one charge. I noticed this change, and questioned my dealer's service dept. They did not realize this change was intentional, but found out from Porsche as a result of my question. Apparently because of a cable heating issue.

· Registered
26 Posts
After waiting three months I finally got the software upgrade - now having to reconnect phone, reprogram radio, mirrors, seats, steering wheel. I asked the dealer what changes were being made, and all they knew it had bigger and more colorful icons on the display. Not much help there.
I had seen the recall regarding the mobil charger and decided to pass on that for now - a 50% cut means 50% longer to charge! As to Electrify America, there is only ONE in the entire metropolitan region, and that is a county over - I have never used it. I have used Electrify America chargers on the road, generally have found out of six listed at most three will be working, and then at greatly reduced power. If I plug into a 350KW the most I get is 150 - 170, and with 150 kw it is usually more in the 70kw range. As to Charge Pointe the most I have ever seen at their stations are 50kw, and that usually gave me 30 - 40 Kw.

· Registered
1 Posts
After getting the big 2022 software upgrade for my 2021 RWD, I noticed that 30 minutes of charging at EA only added about 30% of a full charge instead of about 60%. I talked to my service adviser at the dealership, and he said that the restriction ion charging thruput was part of the software upgrade and was done to reduce cable heating (I assume that's EA cable.). Also, the recommended 80% charging target is now embedded in the software and requires some manual intervention to override.

First of all, there was no communication of any of the changes/improvements in this upgrade, which is a problem in and of itself. I saw the document that someone in the forum found that listed the changes, but these weren't included.

Second, this devalues the "30 minute free charges at EA" by 50%. For me that's the difference between just charging for free once/week and now having to charge twice/week for the same mileage.

Third, on the road, doubling the charging time adds unnecessary wait time, reducing the advantage of using my EV for longer trips.

Fourth, the only time I wanted a near 100% charge was for a road trip. Now I'll have to figure out how to override the 80% limitation -- very annoying!

Anyone have any further info on these changes? Is my info accurate? Thanks.
I agree. My car is in for the change and I believe it is just going to mean I need to plug the car is plugged in my garage for longer to obtain the same range. and to stop the charge at 80% is a misrepresentation of the vehicle... I have had this car in for recalls more than any other car I have owned. should have waited a couple more years for the programming bugs to be worked out.

· Registered
26 Posts
I didn't take my charger in for the upgrade but yesterday when I plugged in I was only getting the 0.2. My charger nor the cables have ever gotten hot - any thoughts on how to increase the speed back up? I am plugged into a 240w socket.

· Registered
97 Posts
I didn't take my charger in for the upgrade but yesterday when I plugged in I was only getting the 0.2. My charger nor the cables have ever gotten hot - any thoughts on how to increase the speed back up? I am plugged into a 240w socket.
On my charger, it defaults to the lower charging rate, but permits increasing the rate manually up to 39 amps by going into the charging rate section of the charging software.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts