Taycan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without a doubt, the 21" wheel offerings are the best looking, then the 20" and finally the 19". So I was leaning toward 21" or 20" wheels -- for my next year's order -- but then read that the 19" wheels provide the best mpg. Then, Jay Leno, on his program, said he avoids 21" wheels because they are more likely to fail. Suddenly the cheaper -- and more practical -- 19" wheels look more desirable. And might they offer a more comfortable ride? What do you think about all this?

·
Super Moderator
776 Posts
The lower profile the tires, the stiffer the ride. They can do a lot to minimize this, but it always seems to have an impact. The 20s are probably the best compromise.

I trust Jay Leno knows what he's talking about, but I also have confidence Porsche doesn't make wheels that have issues.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I stayed with 19 inch wheels for pot hole protection and economy.

Reactions: St00k

·
Registered
34 Posts
For what it's worth....21s on the Tay ride smooth. This is a car that's over 5,000 lbs with a well designed suspension.
I have multiple Pcars as well as Mercedes but Tay is only one w/21's yet is probably is the smoothest ride.
Good luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The ride on 19s is a bit firmer than I expected in Normal. I wanted the additional side wall height for dealing with pot holes and the probably false hope of longer tire life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
4S with 20" offer 50kms of added range compared to the Turbo with 21" wheels. Also, 21" means inferior GoodYear or Conti rubber instead of Michelin’s on the 20" wheels. 19" even better economy and smoother ride. Not sure about the tyre choices in 19" though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Porsche Taycan range estimator available in most countries other than USA allows picking wheel size. It shows the 20" even slightly more efficient than the 19" which I know seems unlikely; however, it was enough to convince me it was ok to choose the 20" for my car coming in 2 months.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4S with 20" offer 50kms of added range compared to the Turbo with 21" wheels. Also, 21" means inferior GoodYear or Conti rubber instead of Michelin’s on the 20" wheels. 19" even better economy and smoother ride. Not sure about the tyre choices in 19" though.
Johan, what is your "50kms of added range" based on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 21 inch mission e wheels and they look and ride fantastic. I was concerned about the 21‘s but they look so much better then the smaller wheels and the handling felt better with the 21’s so I got the larger wheels and bought the wheel and tire insurance for $2800. I have more concern that my wife will hit the curb then potentially hitting potholes with the 21’s . Note I have had Many cars with 19 inch wheels that have had pothole damage so I think if that’s your concern I’m not sure any of these wheels are going to be totally safe. If you compromise get the 20’s not the 19”s. They are too small for this car but Porsche needs to differentiate there cars and sell you wheel upgrades so they have to put something smaller than 20’s As standard on the 4S.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm actually considering getting a 19" replacement wheels this month from having a 21" wheels. I found a set of Vision wheels to replace my existing wheels. I want to have an improved sidewall for better protection against curb and potholes and also to prolong my tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts